First Hunt of 2018! A Twenty Minute Frozen Tundra Scouting Hunt During Lunch.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow TNETers! Happy New Year to all.
It feels like its been forever since I got to swing the coil. Been below freezing for weeks now.
Cabin fever is something Im NOT a fan of LOL. Thanks to all the warm weather hunters for keeping me sane!

Ive been doing a lot a research the last few weeks trying to find places to hunt this up and coming season.
Found what I believe is going to be my home base to start the year.
There were two houses right next to each other and a barn of sorts that I found areal photos of from 1954.
They have been gone since before 1971 AND are in park land now. Pretty pumped about that.

It was 45 degrees today and I just had to dig. I scrambled home, made a quick lunch grabbed my gear and headed out.
Yes the ground is solid as a rock. I managed to dig only 2 holes in the very short amount of time I had.
Yes only 2 holes but all holes matter!

You can see the barn in the center of the pic and the two driveways of houses south of the barn.
There is a perfect foot print of where the center house used to be. Too close to the river for a full basement.

TMD 2018 #2 001.JPG

Walked up where the driveway for the barn was. Here are the Big trees where the front gate should have been.
There were two old fence posts that have been dug up with concrete bases attached.

TMD 2018 #1 007.JPG

In the areal you can see a fence that went all the way around the barn property.
Here it is all rolled up! Sure glad to see that. Dont have to worry about finding huge sections of fence now :icon_thumleft:

TMD 2018 #1 006.JPG

I get close to where the barn was and had a good signal. It was a tough dig but I got it out!
Sweet a button to start the year!
Wrong! On later inspection it was just a bottle cap. Oh well...

TMD 2018 #1 008.JPG TMD 2018 #1 009.JPG

After that dig I head strait to where the front door, walkway and driveway should have been at the house in the middle.
Now there are tall power lines exactly where the driveway used to be. Fortunately there was NO EMI!:hello2:

TMD 2018 #1 004.JPG TMD 2018 #1 005.JPG

Here is where I found the foot print to the house and yeah super solid dime signal!
Im chipping through the frozen ground as carefully as I could...

TMD 2018 #1 003.JPG TMD 2018 #1 002.JPG TMD 2018 #1 001.JPG

Not a dime but I feel the age represents when the house would have been built. 1939 Wheat Penny right in front of where this house was sitting. I almost felt at home in the middle of the woods. Needless to say that made my day and gave me high hopes for some silver very close by. There were two more coin signals around it but I was out of time.

Tomorrow is going to be 50 degrees so Im packing a lunch and hope to dig twice as many holes LOL.

Thanks for stopping by everyone.
Good luck to all in 2018
Happy Hunting

-TMD-

Upvote 12

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got out in very cold weather and scored an older wheat penny. I'm sorry but I will still prefer the warm house.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mil, glad you got out and got to detect a little bit, that's 2 more holes than I've dug in a while! Congrats on your new site, it looks very promising, hope to see you posting silver soon...Ddf

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great read. I felt like I was there. Congratulations on the wheat. I hope you find something sweet tomorrow!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some great hunting there. Best of Luck!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good looking wheat! Amazing to come out of the ground that clean. My son found a 1939 a couple of days ago and after 3 peroxide soaks, it's still pretty crusty. Kind soil there. Can't wait to see what else your new spot produces!

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very jealous and awesome find for the first hunt of 2018!!!! I thought the ground would still be hard as a rock today. I am hoping with the rain and higher temps it might be a little less tomorrow. You have inspired me and I may go out tomorrow!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the wheat and your passion for getting out in the frozen tundra.
My 20 minutes in the frozen Tundra is for other reasons, getting things ready for the next dumping of snow.:(
20180106_133951.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread