Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A short hunt today on the frozen field. Small sections of the slopes were thawed and passed the shovel easily. Now and then a little more stomping was required to pry the frozen plug.

Some clad, two buttons and a medal in a couple hours.

One button is a tombac, the other is perhaps late 19th century and bears the name of the tailor shop in Baltimore "F.W. Ellinghaus". Record of his shop appears in two Maryland 19th century journals and a 1913 Polk directory for Baltimore. In 1900, the Ellinghaus family lived at 12 N. Ann St in Baltimore. Frederick Wilhelm Ellinghaus was born in Germany and arrived in the U.S. in 1860.

Finding a button with some identifying marking like this one is a real treasure to me with the opportunity to research the people behind the button.

IMG_6080.JPG ellinghaus.jpg IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6083.JPG IMG_6085.JPG IMG_6086.JPG

Upvote 26
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Trezurehunter! My first target of the hunt rang up mid-80s and I'm out in the middle of the field thinking what this target might be......turned out to be a clad quarter. Next good target was the medal and then the tombac, so the digging improved. Did find a '54S Jefferson and then not much for quite awhile until that 4-hole button turned up.

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Lilo! This is the deep-freeze winter in Baltimore. We haven't been shut out like this for a few seasons.

Very true, this is only my third season and the past 2 we did not have this problem, ground is diggable now, hope it stays like this, some chilly days in the coming week.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed! I had no problem digging in Baltimore County today. Cold and windy but with the steady sunlight I was fine. Managed two buttons - one a large tombac and the other a small cuff button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread