🥇 BANNER I dug a Confederate buckle today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I decided to hit a place we have hammered over the last year. We have found a lot of nice items in the place, including three Eagle Breastplates, two Union Cartridge box plates, and one US belt buckle, Several of these have been found in the last month. We have also found minies, a few buttons including one Confederate block I, some silver and copper CW period coins, broken spoons, etc. The place was evidently used as a picket post, we think after the Battle of Gettysburg. The place is not on any known maps I have seen, so there would have not been any reason to LOOK for anything there. It just so happens good friends of mine bought the farm, and didn't mind us looking for stuff there. On two recent occasions we invited a small "herd" of local club members and Tnetters to the site and everyone got something, which was nice.

Today, it had rained. It was very foggy and that hard rocky soil was ALMOST thawed out. We decided to hit it a few hours just to see what we could find, as we have over 100 man hours on the farm, and finds are getting scarcer. Just a week ago we finally got permission to hit the grassy areas. First thing, I pulled a man's sterling wedding ring from the grass, and then an aluminum can, and another aluminium can, then another and then the pulltabs. It was looking dismal so that hunt a week ago was over.

So back to today, my digging buddy beat me to the site, we were also looking for the property markers but the ground in that area was still frozen. We didn't find them. He tried digging what appears to be an ash pit, but it was also too frozen. He finally found one minie ball.

We both finally started moving back to the grassy areas, and I got about five aluminum cans, we were digging near the "new" driveway, which used to be the "old" farm road.

After aluminum target #6, I got another similar signal, this one sounded a little different. I was down about 8" and it was so blasted rocky, I called my bud over as I wasn't in serious "detecting" mode, I was just in "exploring" mode. I had left my pinpointed in the truck and was too blasted lazy to go get it. So he shoves the pinpointer in the hole, and it almost immediately sounds off. I didn't see the telltale signs of aluminum, but a US plate was found about 10' away in the field, so I advised caution, it might be another breastplate. He grabbed hold of something definitely not silver colored, and as he pulled it out slowly I saw it was rounded and dark colored. I first thought it was another breastplate, but it was too small. When he got it out of the hole, I knew it was a wreath style wreath thingie. I didn't know what it went to, but these were used before and after the Civil War and some aren't even military. I know what I know, and everything else I have to research. I hadn't even touched it yet but had never dug one of these and was feeling quite pleased. I did NOT do that OMG, run around in circles, swear by whatever you swear by, I just stood there. Now, dung for brains here checks the holes normally AFTER I fill them in but suggested he run the poinpointer over it again. There was another signal. Yup, you guessed it. One more inch down in the muddy, sloppy rocky dirt he reaches in and pulls out something else round. It's dirt encrused, duh, and at first I didn't see what, if anything was on it. He turns it over, takes a couple dirty, wet wipes on it and I see a "CS" staring back at me. At this point I did NOT do that OMG, run and around in circles, freak out thing. I walked two steps to the nearest tree and tried to throw up. That's what REAL diggers do. Enough is enough. Here's a picture. Will get it cleaned. Whenever. Maybe soon. Right now I need a Tylenol and an antacid.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0050.JPG BTW the Deus got REAL dirty, but the target is what I call a "softball" and any machine would have found it.

Last edited:
Upvote 136

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best CW relics that I've seen posted here in a while. Congratulations! Banner vote from me. Good luck.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOTH Pcs. !!!! Extraordinarily fantastic and a sweet find (s).
Enjoy and thanks for posting and showing us it happens sometimes.
HH!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing story that matches the recovery. Nothing else to say. Speechless find.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this is a bucket lister for me ! Way to Go ! Banner!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loving this post Smokey and nominated that beauty for a banner. It’s so cool that you were not really expecting to find a CS buckle,which makes it all the sweeter.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Persistence pays off. Always has in this hobby. Fantastic

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
Both pieces OMG!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cant believe we did that yesterday. Imagine You leaning on the tree coughing up and I stood there pale face frozen in disbelief. Congrats again on a bucket list find. I'm just glad to have pulled it out from its long nap in the dirt. Atleast I touched it LOL I thought last year was AMAZING. Already this year Old silver coins, Gold/ Silver rings, US Plate, Confederate Plate, shipwreck coin.....And were only 13 days into the season.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the same hole. Was dropped, our best guess it was a "souvenir", something the Yanks took with them, I guess it was set down, settled down in the dirt and has just sat there for about 150 years. The saving grace is that it is 10' away from the plowed field, so no fertilizer damage, as far as I know, I'll clean it when I calm down some. It does have scratches, bends and minor damage. I will clean it some tonight. Lots of guessing, but I guess you would have had to have been there to know for sure. Sitting 4' off the side of the old road, near the top of the hill where we found the most stuff.

I'm trying to get a better picture. Too tired to get it right. View attachment 1536221

Banner all day...I voted

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and Darryl, glad I didn't ralph on you. It came close, I must have hyperventilated and swallowed a ton of air. It had to go somewhere. Anyway, I went on that club dig and found a friendly cat and a buffalo nickle, the nickle is still in the car. I left the cat alone. I already have enough of them. I left early due to the amount of trash in the ground and had to get to the vets before they closed.

Also, one of us had found a DEEP signal at the farm and I kind of knew about where it was, and didn't want to leave it the rest of the winter, but the ground was too frozen last time we were there so I went back today and found the spot and dug a very, very, very deep piece of melted aluminum, about 4 ounces of aluminum. I did find one of the property markers for the owner, one of the others is buried in briers, can't get a loop in there. He'll have to cut that back some for us to get into it.

I did dig one additional dropped minie ball, we had walked all around it, repeatedly, and a fired round ball between 45 and 50 caliber, older than the CW, probably not military, who knows? It was way on the other side of the farm. The wind was miserable, so I was there only an hour and a half, but alas, no more crotal bells.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows whats left in between the signals we missed. Still have fire pits to dig and ect. Every time we think its cleaned up we get a huge surprise. First was my US plate and now a CS plate, WE HAVE MUCH MORE WORK TO DO. LOL The relics have become slim in between but we have new ground to cover. I still think were gonna get a BIG silver surprise somewhere along the border.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a gold surprise? Actually, I never met anyone personally, that is, who found a cache of gold, so I don't think I'd believe it if it happened. I was happy with the Minie and round ball today. Not the aluminum. If anything ever happened and the price of aluminum soared, we would all know where to get some.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coilygirl, I really was looking for more of the crotal bells. We had mainly dug the aluminum near the old road.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of some of the other items. They were getting scarcer, so this is the last few digs. I left out the modern bullets and the aluminum cans. View attachment IMG_0577.jpg

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations Smokey! Unbelievable, if you did not make another find the rest of 2018 would not matter, Digging a CS wreath and tongue is a fund of a lifetime-not just for the year!

Wayne

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all. In all honesty, we had only found two Confederate items on the site, a cast I button and a fired bullet. I did not find the bullet and can't remember which one it was. We had found two nice crotal bells in the last month and that's what I was looking for. I thought the site was done with CW relics. I suppose it's not. Now it's time to think out that box and see what's in the rock piles and in the briers and bushes. View attachment 1536270 View attachment 1536271 View attachment 1536272 This is the crotal bell from the same site. One more was found that was a lot bigger. Plus the silver ring (modern) and my first and second ever capped bust dimes and a nondescript Confederate iron buckle.

smokey that is truly unbelievable. Love Confederate anything ESPECIALLY a buckle, I love crotal bells (had to buy mine) and I love capped busts. You my friend are my hero. IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buckle! Have you cleaned it up any more?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions