πŸ₯‡ BANNER I dug a Confederate buckle today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I decided to hit a place we have hammered over the last year. We have found a lot of nice items in the place, including three Eagle Breastplates, two Union Cartridge box plates, and one US belt buckle, Several of these have been found in the last month. We have also found minies, a few buttons including one Confederate block I, some silver and copper CW period coins, broken spoons, etc. The place was evidently used as a picket post, we think after the Battle of Gettysburg. The place is not on any known maps I have seen, so there would have not been any reason to LOOK for anything there. It just so happens good friends of mine bought the farm, and didn't mind us looking for stuff there. On two recent occasions we invited a small "herd" of local club members and Tnetters to the site and everyone got something, which was nice.

Today, it had rained. It was very foggy and that hard rocky soil was ALMOST thawed out. We decided to hit it a few hours just to see what we could find, as we have over 100 man hours on the farm, and finds are getting scarcer. Just a week ago we finally got permission to hit the grassy areas. First thing, I pulled a man's sterling wedding ring from the grass, and then an aluminum can, and another aluminium can, then another and then the pulltabs. It was looking dismal so that hunt a week ago was over.

So back to today, my digging buddy beat me to the site, we were also looking for the property markers but the ground in that area was still frozen. We didn't find them. He tried digging what appears to be an ash pit, but it was also too frozen. He finally found one minie ball.

We both finally started moving back to the grassy areas, and I got about five aluminum cans, we were digging near the "new" driveway, which used to be the "old" farm road.

After aluminum target #6, I got another similar signal, this one sounded a little different. I was down about 8" and it was so blasted rocky, I called my bud over as I wasn't in serious "detecting" mode, I was just in "exploring" mode. I had left my pinpointed in the truck and was too blasted lazy to go get it. So he shoves the pinpointer in the hole, and it almost immediately sounds off. I didn't see the telltale signs of aluminum, but a US plate was found about 10' away in the field, so I advised caution, it might be another breastplate. He grabbed hold of something definitely not silver colored, and as he pulled it out slowly I saw it was rounded and dark colored. I first thought it was another breastplate, but it was too small. When he got it out of the hole, I knew it was a wreath style wreath thingie. I didn't know what it went to, but these were used before and after the Civil War and some aren't even military. I know what I know, and everything else I have to research. I hadn't even touched it yet but had never dug one of these and was feeling quite pleased. I did NOT do that OMG, run around in circles, swear by whatever you swear by, I just stood there. Now, dung for brains here checks the holes normally AFTER I fill them in but suggested he run the poinpointer over it again. There was another signal. Yup, you guessed it. One more inch down in the muddy, sloppy rocky dirt he reaches in and pulls out something else round. It's dirt encrused, duh, and at first I didn't see what, if anything was on it. He turns it over, takes a couple dirty, wet wipes on it and I see a "CS" staring back at me. At this point I did NOT do that OMG, run and around in circles, freak out thing. I walked two steps to the nearest tree and tried to throw up. That's what REAL diggers do. Enough is enough. Here's a picture. Will get it cleaned. Whenever. Maybe soon. Right now I need a Tylenol and an antacid.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0050.JPG BTW the Deus got REAL dirty, but the target is what I call a "softball" and any machine would have found it.

Last edited:
Upvote 136
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really on more cleaning. I brushed most of the dirt off, but I tend to overclean items and other collectors yell at me for it. The pics on the blue cloth are kind of nice as the dirt in the recesses bring out the letters and the wreath. Have been digging for the last few days (and losing stuff all over the house), right now I'm tearing apart the couch looking for a silver ring I got Friday. I do that all the time-put something down, then put something else right on top of it. I will wash the buckle and try not to wreck it.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I couldn't resist trying to clean it some. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead as I was apparently rubbing a little too hard. Time to put it in a nice case. I made a couple high spots on the thing brighter than the rest, so time to quit while I'm ahead. It will have a nice home with the other CSA buckle, and my eagle breastplates and such. I crushed an eagle cuff button today getting a little rambunctious while digging it. There was this here root in the way. I'm going to try to repair the little button, it just has a chip off one side, maybe a spot of glue or something.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And relichound, thank you. I see you're up early too. Boy it got cold outside last night so I suppose no digging today, except maybe the beach. But seriously, I want to try to clean and sort about 50 items I dug recently and get them put away. I tend to easily lose stuff I move from place to place.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I cleaned it as much as I'm going to. It has a nice, medium brown patina on it. The ground up there is very kind to both the coins and relics. It was found on high ground, and was almost sitting on some fractured rocks. The bedrock is very close to the surface up there. Well, here it is. I certainly don't want to overdo it and wreck the patina. It is not actually shiny, that's an optical illusion due to the lighting.

IMG_0066.JPG

K. FLEMING

Feb 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece!! Is that a button in that first picture or just my imagination. Something nice and round.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K. Fleming, it's a federal knap sack hook. We found a few buttons at this site, all union, with one Confederate only. The ground is good for the brass there. I took local club members and tnetters to the site a few times, it's a big site. They found most of the buttons. I only got 1. I don't know if you followed the posts, but my friends bought the farm, literally, we had no idea there was a CW picket post there.

Last edited:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner of banners. Great pics. Great write-up. The condition is the best that you could hope for an end result. Voting now.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth123, they are still out there. I think the secret for finding "good stuff", no matter what you are looking for will depend on how well an individual can "think out of the box". Deeper in parks won't do it, A "better" machine probably won't do it, unless you're in high trash and nail pits. It's going to be the person that "accidentally" stumbles upon a lost picket post, a long forgotten house not on any map and even on known sites, the person who gets the goodies will dig under trees, around trees, in every briar patch, next to the roads, in the swamp, under the electric fence in the nail pits, among the aluminum cans (like today's find). All that stuff. This target acted like an aluminum can "screamer". It was not aluminum.

Oh so true!!!!

I have done fairly well on my "Scouting" trips. YNK.

Smokey
What a site !!!
maybe??? You got the Master of the relics to be found there.

Still need a few more trips there tho. IMO

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Smokey-cat, congrats on the awesome buckle. Great play-by-play story too. Couldn't have happened to a better forumite contributor. Congratz on banner !

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokeythecat,
What a great find and write up to go along with it! In my case I'd stick to the crying as cleaning my eyes with tears is a lot easier on me than re-investigating the contents of my stomach. Keep on swinging - after you've properly labeled and cleaned all of your finds!..............63bkpkr

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the well deserved Banner

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I did receive a lot of feedback. Since I'm not anything like an expert on Confederate anything, let alone digging it, as most of my spots are Union, I was unaware most of the tongue and wreaths are found separately. And lots of time the other half was never found.

Here's an interesting observation. The ground was muddy, and rocky. But awhile back I dug all those CW brass buckles and the cast I button. In that hole the buckles all came out of, the soil had turned very dark. Right next to it the rest of the soil in the area was not dark at all, and quite normal colored.

Where this buckle was found there was no discoloration of the soil. Remember, this is NOT a battle site (that anyone knows of). Since it was found next to a road, and the pieces almost touched each other, like within a couple inches from each other, my best guess is whoever had liberated the buckle from the Rebs had removed the leather. He kept the buckle, but apparently whatever day that was in '63 or '64, he apparently just set it down and left it and it just got covered over. I hadn't thought of that detail until last night. Too much excitement.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome banner. Props to you for not hitting either piece with your shovel. Super sweet shape and find

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find - absolutely top of any relic hunter's list. Keep working that farm - who knows what's next. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a museum piece wow Thanks for sharing it!!!!!!!!!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on saving such an amazing piece of history and of course for the well deserved Banner. :hello2:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and triple555nickel, it was about 10' from where Brad (think I got that right) found the eagle breastplate in December. I was there Saturday pm, wandered all over the place and got 1 minie and 1 colonial/early 19th century fired round ball probably from deer hunting. They were about 200 feet apart. Place has definitely thinned out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread