Mexican Gold??? Big Buck coin but is it realy?

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hi gang.. got to get out and hunt a little this morning while most people were either on their way to work or school. I had the day off..<smile> Anyway, after a disappointing search of a popular tot lot I went across the park I was at and began searching the grass strips along side the baseball fields, and the concession stand. It was just around the backside of the concession stand I came across what my Prizm IV thought was a 50cent piece, Big Ol' loud beep, very good target.. and right on the surface! Well.. on top of the grass roots anyway, but not in the soil yet. Well it wasn't a 50cent piece, nor was it even a US coin at all. It was this Mexican coin with a dollar sign on it... $1000.. to be precise! 1989 is the date on it. I just did a google of Mexican coins and it turns out to be a thousand peso coin.. current exchange rate value of just over $90 bucks U.S. YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!

Yeah.. it's not gold, but any coin worth $90 bucks is worth a chicken dance in my book! <flap flap skip, hop, flap flap flap>
<grin>

check it out!

August 27th 001.jpg

August 27th 003.jpg

My wife wants me to cash it in.. exchange it I guess it the better term. Who does currency exchanges? The one girl at the bank that I talked to said that they could mail it off for me.. ????
I did learn that the value changes from day to day as well. Might be worth my while to hold off converting it to dollars anyway.

I'm guessing some kid raided his parents piggy bank or someone just got back from a vacation in Mexico and still had this in their pocket.. <shrug> it's in MY pocket now!

<smile>

Frodov

H.H. All

Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be gold, but like you said - a $90 coin is good by me too!!

Only place I've ever exchanged money was at the large airports that have international flights. You'd think banks would do it too, but dunno.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Frotov

Sorry to burst your bubble but the coin you found is the "Old Pesos" and they are worth 1/1000 of the current Peso value.

Some travelers to Mexico have old pesos lying around and wan to know what they are worth. Well, basically, not much...

1 new peso = 1000 old pesos

So 5000 in old pesos is worth 5 new pesos, about $0.50 US. Not exactly worth exchanging. The old peso is very common, so it there is no cash value for collectors that I know of. When we moved to Mexico - a friend gave us 10,0000 old pesos and we thought we were rich!

http://www.cancunsouth.com/plan_money.html

Smiles!
BDoo

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:D Not bad wages for someone with the day off. Good luck on the exchange.
HH

Desertfox

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn it FRO bobby burst my bubble to. :D.Anybody want to buy some pesos cheap? :D AA

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
mastereagle22 said:
I don't care what the thing is worth it is a cool find..

I definitely agree!! Finding a large golden coin is always a rush and that's part of why we are out there!! Very cool find!

Smiles!
BDoo

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I have a few in my foreign coin box... brass.
RD

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Boobydoo said:
mastereagle22 said:
I don't care what the thing is worth it is a cool find..

I definitely agree!! Finding a large golden coin is always a rush and that's part of why we are out there!! Very cool find!

Smiles!
BDoo

Great minds and all that! ;D It is a GREAT find!
~Nash~

P

Pentico

Awesome find in my book!
Would of had me doing the dance for sure.
ChrisP

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Frodo, I find a lot of Mexican coins here too. We have a lot of migrant workers that end up staying and getting other jobs. Most of the ones I find are the new peso ones and even the $10 ones aren't worth much but they are pretty cool looking.

johnscott56

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2007
Yeah, too bad about the old pesos!

I was in mexico when those pesos were good currency.
I actually saved some because I knew I was going back.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize it would be so long.
I was very surprised when I did go back with my pocket full of old
pesos they wouldn't take any of them. Even at a bank.

Neat find though!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Still a nice large coin I found one in some horse manure I hauled in from some stables Thought I was rich till a mex friend of mine told me otherwise, still a very cool coin.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I just found one just like it today on a small Columbia River swim beach at a local marina. Mine was really grungy & I was impatient so I hit it with a wire wheel. Looks gold now, but a little more worn.
Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread