Unbelievable Start: LC, Sterling, and a Militia Belt Buckle!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm sure everyone else in the North will agree, the past few weeks of cold have been frustrating with each weekend seemingly trying to outdo the last in terms of how cold it could possibly be. Finally we had a thaw Thursday and Friday and while I attempted to detect on Thursday, the snow was still too deep to recover much in the woods. A little sad, but after an entire night of rain and 50+ temps the snow was completely gone on Friday and all but the most stubborn sections of the ground had thawed. It was prime detecting time!

The last two homesites I've been posting about are part of a cluster in these woods and there's one cellar hole that I had found immediately, but it was in the middle of several logging paths so the ground was already clear and rock hard. Not wanting to tease myself with unrecoverable targets I just moved deeper into the woods and found the second and third site. However Friday was a different story.

I started on the section next to the cellar hole and almost immediately recovered an IHP. Then four or five huge aluminum targets which gave overload signals. (I dig these anyways because it's easier to find whisper targets once they're gone) The sixth overload was actually partly sticking out of the ground so I just pulled it out by hand:

20180112_131632.jpg

Unbelievable! Nearly a surface find and I instantly knew it was special, so I took a very rare (for me) field photo and then wrapped it and put it in the Tupperware that I bring for just such relics.

DSC03894.JPG DSC03898.JPG DSC03900.JPG DSC03901.JPG

From similar examples posted here I think it's an 1815-1825 militia belt plate (17 stars), but I haven't seen any others with a silver wash like this one. Is there any significance to that; is it just a different style that some people wore? I could also use some advice on preservation. The logging trucks likely bent it when they ran over it (I have not attempted to bend it back), but more importantly it put stress on the patina and I know that if I let it fully dry it'll start to flake off and take the wash with it. Any thoughts?

Obviously the buckle find takes the cake, but there were a couple other relics from the hunt that would still make my day! I found a nice chunk of silver which is always welcome.

DSC03904.JPG DSC03906.JPG

I initially thought it was aluminum, but the "sterling" stamp said otherwise. :laughing7: Any idea on how old though?

DSC03902.JPG DSC03903.JPG

I also found a nice 1817 large cent. The ground was wetter, so not as much detail survived, but the date is legible and sometimes that's all that counts!

DSC03908.JPG DSC03909.JPG

There were a few of the usual bits and pieces between the trash. The IHP is very toasty, but 1907. The folded over piece may have been a dandy button, but no trace of a design. A pewter spoon bowl and a few buckles rounded out the finds. This really was an incredible hunt and, while the ground is once again frozen, I have plenty of research to do until the ground thaws again and I can see what other treasures are to be found!

Upvote 40
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That plate is a bucket lister for 99% of us.
Definitely a Professional Restoration candidate.
Congratulations on a really productive hunt.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to go back to the site and see if any militia buttons are also hiding there, but it's all frozen up again so it may be a little while. :laughing7: And thank you Valley Ranger for the banner vote!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! I can't wait to go back to the site and see if any militia buttons are also hiding there, but it's all frozen up again so it may be a little while. :laughing7: And thank you Valley Ranger for the banner vote!

I am 20 miles from the N.Y. State line. Maybe in the Spring we can get together for a hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to find a plate like that one day. Congrats man! Should be some plate 167 below with the vertical lines between the eagle and the ribbon. Says they were gilded, but doesn't say anything about silver. Perhaps its whats left of a gilt, or maybe some were colored silver. Amazing find.

IMG_20180121_092641.jpg

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Says they were gilded, but doesn't say anything about silver. Perhaps its whats left of a gilt, or maybe some were colored silver. Amazing find.

Thank you for the ID! I've been working on carefully cleaning it up and there's a tremendous amount of silver wash left, but no trace of gold gilt. Here's where I am so far:

DSC03926.JPG

Interestingly the back is also silver washed; I wonder if this was a special order of if he had a local artisan silver it. It would be incredible if this was a unique plate!

DSC03922.JPG DSC03923.JPG DSC03924.JPG DSC03925.JPG

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That thing cleaned up amazing. I can flip back through the book and see if any say they were silver washed. There are lots of die varieties, so I'd guess that many contractors made them... Perhaps some were silver washed.... At least yours is!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your plate is definitely #167. Plate #169 was silver plated though. Yours is 167 with the 2 tail feathers, shorter olive branch and longer back wing feathers. The beginning of the chapter on these plates describes how and where the milita units sourced them from. So I wouldn't think it'd be too uncommon for a variety of different finishes to be found on them. Some militia units might have gold, others might have gotten silver. There's a lot of different dies used too, so it appears lots of variation and this book probably doesn't list them all. The book I'm looking at is "American Military Belt Plates" and is a great reference.

IMG_20180121_165001~2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread