Unbelievable Start: LC, Sterling, and a Militia Belt Buckle!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm sure everyone else in the North will agree, the past few weeks of cold have been frustrating with each weekend seemingly trying to outdo the last in terms of how cold it could possibly be. Finally we had a thaw Thursday and Friday and while I attempted to detect on Thursday, the snow was still too deep to recover much in the woods. A little sad, but after an entire night of rain and 50+ temps the snow was completely gone on Friday and all but the most stubborn sections of the ground had thawed. It was prime detecting time!

The last two homesites I've been posting about are part of a cluster in these woods and there's one cellar hole that I had found immediately, but it was in the middle of several logging paths so the ground was already clear and rock hard. Not wanting to tease myself with unrecoverable targets I just moved deeper into the woods and found the second and third site. However Friday was a different story.

I started on the section next to the cellar hole and almost immediately recovered an IHP. Then four or five huge aluminum targets which gave overload signals. (I dig these anyways because it's easier to find whisper targets once they're gone) The sixth overload was actually partly sticking out of the ground so I just pulled it out by hand:

20180112_131632.jpg

Unbelievable! Nearly a surface find and I instantly knew it was special, so I took a very rare (for me) field photo and then wrapped it and put it in the Tupperware that I bring for just such relics.

DSC03894.JPG DSC03898.JPG DSC03900.JPG DSC03901.JPG

From similar examples posted here I think it's an 1815-1825 militia belt plate (17 stars), but I haven't seen any others with a silver wash like this one. Is there any significance to that; is it just a different style that some people wore? I could also use some advice on preservation. The logging trucks likely bent it when they ran over it (I have not attempted to bend it back), but more importantly it put stress on the patina and I know that if I let it fully dry it'll start to flake off and take the wash with it. Any thoughts?

Obviously the buckle find takes the cake, but there were a couple other relics from the hunt that would still make my day! I found a nice chunk of silver which is always welcome.

DSC03904.JPG DSC03906.JPG

I initially thought it was aluminum, but the "sterling" stamp said otherwise. :laughing7: Any idea on how old though?

DSC03902.JPG DSC03903.JPG

I also found a nice 1817 large cent. The ground was wetter, so not as much detail survived, but the date is legible and sometimes that's all that counts!

DSC03908.JPG DSC03909.JPG

There were a few of the usual bits and pieces between the trash. The IHP is very toasty, but 1907. The folded over piece may have been a dandy button, but no trace of a design. A pewter spoon bowl and a few buckles rounded out the finds. This really was an incredible hunt and, while the ground is once again frozen, I have plenty of research to do until the ground thaws again and I can see what other treasures are to be found!

Upvote 40

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say that’s a great start to 2018.
That belt plate is something special
Congrats

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that belt plate is sweet. congrats! In my opinion, the mushroom salt shaker top is probably from the 40's

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! that's nice

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers, congratulations! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great start to the season, your plate is a real nice recovery.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the plate is very beautiful, of course I like the LC and the Sterling too

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice plate recovery. LC is cool too. Never having dug such a significant relic I would get advice from the professionals on restoration. I for sure would destroy it trying to "fix" it myself. Great start to 2018!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic post and great pic, plate is banner worthy in my humble opinion... Would definitely get it professionally restored

Thank you so much! I saw a few similar to this posted here recently, but after reading more it seems like they don't turn up that often which makes me even more grateful to have stumbled on one. I'd actually be interested in restoration, but who restores pieces like this?

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Militia plate. Love the silver wash on it!

Steve

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Militia plate. Love the silver wash on it!

Thank you! Does anyone know why this was silver washed though? Most of the ones I find online were gold gilted.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, restoration should be considered. Banner vote. Nice!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement. I'm definitely going to look into restoration, but for the time being I want to at least stabilize it and prevent more of the patina from flaking off. Would a layer the 50/50 Elmer's glue and water mixture be a bad idea? I know it's removable by soaking in water, but would it end up lifting off more of the patina during that process?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This new cluster of cellar holes has started to pay big dividends. Love that plate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread