Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the second thread. A couple of you asked to see it cleaned up. So I cleaned it as much as I'm going to. It has a nice, medium brown patina on it. The ground up there is very kind to both the coins and relics. It was found on high ground, and was almost sitting on some fractured rocks. The bedrock is very close to the surface up there. Well, here it is. I certainly don't want to overdo it and wreck the patina. It is not actually shiny, that's an optical illusion due to the lighting. I have found CW brass/bronze relics that were so shiny they look (almost) like they were dropped yesterday, some so bad I can't figure out what they are, and more commonly patinas in brown, darker brown, several shades of green, and black. I suppose it all depends on what they were lost with. I also used a camera with a much greater resolution to it, so every scratch, casting flaw, etc. should be visible. It is an exact match to the one I previously mentioned in the first thread. IMG_0066.JPG If I never dig anything good again, I've had a GREAT run.

Last edited:
Upvote 47

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that freaking cool, congrats!!!. I found my first and prombly last US waist belt buckle last nov,

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ijimzz977, don't count on not getting another. Two of my good plates were found in known camps. Three were found next to old roads. One was found at Folly Beach, Sc in the Atlantic Ocean at low tide. It was 6" down. A screamer signal. There are still a lot out there. Just think out of the box to find some more. Case in point, I found four Confederate school buttons, St. Timothy's Hall last year, two in one area, two 100 miles + away. I had never even heard of them before I dug them. You just never know. The BEST three were at friends houses in three states ( I live close to the PA state line.)

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super great find, big congrats!!! That is definitely tops on my wish list... if I ever get back to diggin! Huge congrats again! And an obvious banner find, good on you!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful restoration! :occasion14:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks great!
That's truly a diggers dream. Congratulations on the banner

You should try to find the sword hook, it may be near by. Mine was three feet from the tounge.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic nut, I have never found one of those. Yesterday I got the screw that holds the rear sight on a 1864 Springfield rifle. I had to almost laugh as I bought one of these non dug for an 1864 Springfield I had purchased that the screw had been missing on. Screw was $125.00.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your banner find! Great job cleaning it up, not to much, not to little. Really cool find!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one pretty piece of history. Something most of us can only dream about. You did a nice job restoring it to it's former glory.
Congrats on your banner.
Well deserved.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's nice!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful piece Smokey. That thing looked presentable to me, right out of the dirt !! Thanks for the updated picture.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good job on bringing out the highlights. Ready for a shadow box or museum type display.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that looks nice. Sure makes me want to get out soon. Since October been out just once and on one organized hunt. I have some killer potential sites to check out soon as the weather allows for it and I'm hoping something as good as this pops out.

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Wonderful buckle. I found a tongue, and searched in vain for the wreath, wait,I should of been looking in the field, not in vain! Nice going!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job cleaning that up.

It really is an outstanding piece of Southern history. As stated earlier, congrats on the well deserved banner.

Best of luck to you. We can hardly wait to see your next killer find.

Stay warm!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions