Great start to the new year with a Bucket lister Bust Silver, Colonial, Buttons

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year I actually wrote down a bucket list of finds going forward and on there was Capped Bust Silver. Well it didn't take long to line that one out. On a new colonial site with VMI and Matt this last week/weekend and we dug an absolute haul of buttons and other relics. It was slow going at first and then VMI dug his piece of silver (which i'll let him post) and I told Matt "he does that and then we dig silver right after" its a VMIDigger tradition. So about 15 minutes after he pulls a silver, I get a trashy deep signal, pop the plug and in the loose dirt you could see a tiny silver.

1830 Capped Bust Half Dime! My first Capped Bust ever. The details are pretty good on it too, you can make out the liberty on her head and the obverse eagle is great!

IMG_E5820.jpg IMG_5819.jpg

Heres a group shot. The one day I dug 14 buttons which was the most I've ever dug in one day.

IMG_5843.jpg

Along with the Capped, I got a 1882 IHP. Few of the nice gilt buttons on top as well

IMG_5844.jpg IMG_5845.jpg IMG_5846.jpg

The coolest relic IMO, is this Georgian weight. I can't figure out if its G2 or G3 but its a London made weight. Matt dug a 1800's Chinese copper coin not too far away. Wonder if there was a connection there.

IMG_5847.jpg

These two flats were interesting after i cleaned them. One has an eagle for a back mark which i have read could be either an American made button during the war of 1812 or a British ploy eagle to convince the American consumers that it was made in America. The other flat says "Wellington" which makes this button a Duke of Wellington commemorative button made after his victory against Napoleon at Waterloo.

IMG_5848.jpg

This next button was a first for me. Its a gilted very decorative flat button with a little glass jewel in the middle of it. Pretty cool!

IMG_5850.jpg

Dug a bunch of round balls of all shapes and sizes. The other picture is just of a bunch of random relics.

IMG_5851.jpg IMG_5852.jpg

Dug a two piece that broke up as I dug it. After it dried out I could see the General Service Eagle from inside of the button.

IMG_5853.jpg

This next thing looks to be spun almost like a tombac button. Not sure what it is, any help would be great.

IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5855.jpg

VMI said this next one might be part of a dagger guard. Would have possibly been one of four corners of the guard. What y'all think?

IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5857.jpg

This is what I believe to be a lead game piece. It was dug on a coastal site where we have dug other colonial relics.

IMG_5858.jpg IMG_5859.jpg IMG_5860.jpg

Finally, this two piece button was the first target I dug at this colonial site in the snow! I was able to toothpick a lot of the crud off the front of it and you can see that theres something there but i just can't figure it out. shank has broken off but you can see where it would have been...Any ideas? Thanks for looking and good luck!

IMG_5861.jpg IMG_5862.jpg IMG_5863.jpg

Upvote 21

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread