Great start to the new year with a Bucket lister Bust Silver, Colonial, Buttons

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year I actually wrote down a bucket list of finds going forward and on there was Capped Bust Silver. Well it didn't take long to line that one out. On a new colonial site with VMI and Matt this last week/weekend and we dug an absolute haul of buttons and other relics. It was slow going at first and then VMI dug his piece of silver (which i'll let him post) and I told Matt "he does that and then we dig silver right after" its a VMIDigger tradition. So about 15 minutes after he pulls a silver, I get a trashy deep signal, pop the plug and in the loose dirt you could see a tiny silver.

1830 Capped Bust Half Dime! My first Capped Bust ever. The details are pretty good on it too, you can make out the liberty on her head and the obverse eagle is great!

IMG_E5820.jpg IMG_5819.jpg

Heres a group shot. The one day I dug 14 buttons which was the most I've ever dug in one day.

IMG_5843.jpg

Along with the Capped, I got a 1882 IHP. Few of the nice gilt buttons on top as well

IMG_5844.jpg IMG_5845.jpg IMG_5846.jpg

The coolest relic IMO, is this Georgian weight. I can't figure out if its G2 or G3 but its a London made weight. Matt dug a 1800's Chinese copper coin not too far away. Wonder if there was a connection there.

IMG_5847.jpg

These two flats were interesting after i cleaned them. One has an eagle for a back mark which i have read could be either an American made button during the war of 1812 or a British ploy eagle to convince the American consumers that it was made in America. The other flat says "Wellington" which makes this button a Duke of Wellington commemorative button made after his victory against Napoleon at Waterloo.

IMG_5848.jpg

This next button was a first for me. Its a gilted very decorative flat button with a little glass jewel in the middle of it. Pretty cool!

IMG_5850.jpg

Dug a bunch of round balls of all shapes and sizes. The other picture is just of a bunch of random relics.

IMG_5851.jpg IMG_5852.jpg

Dug a two piece that broke up as I dug it. After it dried out I could see the General Service Eagle from inside of the button.

IMG_5853.jpg

This next thing looks to be spun almost like a tombac button. Not sure what it is, any help would be great.

IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5855.jpg

VMI said this next one might be part of a dagger guard. Would have possibly been one of four corners of the guard. What y'all think?

IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5857.jpg

This is what I believe to be a lead game piece. It was dug on a coastal site where we have dug other colonial relics.

IMG_5858.jpg IMG_5859.jpg IMG_5860.jpg

Finally, this two piece button was the first target I dug at this colonial site in the snow! I was able to toothpick a lot of the crud off the front of it and you can see that theres something there but i just can't figure it out. shank has broken off but you can see where it would have been...Any ideas? Thanks for looking and good luck!

IMG_5861.jpg IMG_5862.jpg IMG_5863.jpg

Upvote 21

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds !! Sweet silver :occasion14:

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post buddy, and HUGE congrats on the bust silver... One day I'll check that one off the bucket list

Yeah man once i saw the bust i knew you were gonna be drooling. Pretty cool we dug tiny silver about 15 min apart tho. Next time we will dig big silver!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at home, but when back I will check my book on the date of that weight.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at home, but when back I will check my book on the date of that weight.

Thanks Cru...I can't tell the difference between G2 and G3 on these.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on the capped bust. If I find nothing else, just one of those would make my year

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru...I can't tell the difference between G2 and G3 on these.
Sometimes the position of the verification marks narrow it down, sometimes it doesn't help at all & could even include GIV

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the capped bust. If I find nothing else, just one of those would make my year

Thanks! Yeah last year I found my 2 reale and slave tag in the first couple weeks of January and they ended up being my best finds for the whole year. Hope it doesn't happen again but I'd still be pretty happy with it.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the position of the verification marks narrow it down, sometimes it doesn't help at all & could even include GIV

Good point...didn't even consider him. What book do you use for weights?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Capped Bust coin. And a beautiful example at that.

You have a lot of nice relics and buttons. I really like the weight too.

Wishing you the very best in 2018.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its George II.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Capped Bust coin. And a beautiful example at that.

You have a lot of nice relics and buttons. I really like the weight too.

Wishing you the very best in 2018.

Thanks Tom! Appreciate it. Something about the weights really are cool to find for me. Good luck to you this year.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Nice finds and write up. Congrats on the capped bust.That's one still on my list after 45 yrs. of detecting. Maybe this will be my year, I have located an old methodist campmeeting grounds from 1830's- 50's that I am hoping to get permission on when spring gets here. Again Congrats.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and write up. Congrats on the capped bust.That's one still on my list after 45 yrs. of detecting. Maybe this will be my year, I have located an old methodist campmeeting grounds from 1830's- 50's that I am hoping to get permission on when spring gets here. Again Congrats.

Thanks Mike! Yeah its definitely easier for us on the east coast to pop out older coins than it is back home in IL. That sounds like a great lead though. Never know what might pop out. Stay warm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread