Dug a Really Old Iron Stirrup! Could be Revolutionary War Era!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug an iron stirrup today 5 inches down in the frozen tundra of New England. Definitely hand forged, so I knew it had to be old. But based on my research, I think it's from the Rev War era! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's probably that old.

It's in very nice shape, so now I really need to get my electrolysis setup going. Let me know what you guys think.

DSC08081.JPG DSC08082.JPG DSC08083.JPG DSC08084.JPG

Upvote 26

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is relics like these that really make this hobby so exciting. That would a sit down right now find and then tremble city as one realizes how old it really could be and is intact! Holy Cow!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find - be sure to post it after a clean-up

Fire up your electrolysis set up, lol

Can't find a manual battery charger around here, so I'm going to buy one online. Should be up and running by the end of the week!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice colonial stirrup. As everyone else said, indeed 18thc hand forged. I have the same one with a swivel top, and a twist for traction on the middle bottom band... you can actually see the wear marks from the boots on mine. I've been lucky enough to find and preserve 4 complete iron stirrups, and many other broken ones... very awesome relics.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't find a manual battery charger around here, so I'm going to buy one online. Should be up and running by the end of the week!

This one has been tough as nails for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AM8BF4 Over more than 4 years, I've processed 100's and 100's of pieces of iron with it and its withstood a beating. I toasted the amperage dial and have had to solder the clamps back on. The things I do to it, no charger was ever made to do!! If I'm ever able to finally kill it, I will absolutely buy the same one.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the cheaper version of that Schumacher charger for $27 on eBay last night. If it doesn't hold up, I'll spring for that one. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!

Got my electrolysis setup put together this morning and started cooking my stirrup right away. Six hours in the bath removed 95% of the rust. Didn't want to push it more than that for now. I gave it a good coat of Renaissance Wax to protect it. I think it came out really nice, considering the fact that it's been in the ground for 240 years or so.

Here's my cat litter bucket setup (LOL) and before and after pics of the stirrup.

DSC08110.JPG DSC08109.JPG DSC08090.JPG DSC08113.JPG

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice stirrup and great pics of your electrolysis set up! You stepped up your game pretty well. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing! I have everything I need except the nerve to put mine together and plug it in [emoji6]!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I got the courage up after watching this video. Seemed safe and easy to pull off once I saw him do it.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice setup, and a great stirrup.
Here is one I found that is very simular. Yours looks a little bigger. IMG_20180125_062841191.jpg IMG_20180125_062831794.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great looking piece, and the cleaning. :occasion14:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic nut, that sure looks like the same design. Mine does seem kind of big for a stirrup. Must have belonged to a guy with big feet!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job with the electrolysis :icon_thumleft:

Just in case you didn't do this, I thought I'd mention it. You'll want to heat up that stirrup past 212 degrees for at least 10-15 minutes. That old iron is porous and will absorb moisture after being in the ground for so long as well as during electrolysis. There are many ways to seal the relic after electrolysis and everyone had their own favorite way. I boil mine in hot wax for about 30 minutes. I do that because it evaporates the moisture and seals in the same step. However, you could easily bake it in a toaster oven past 212 and then coat it with wax after it cools to seal it. If you skip that step, it will look fine for some time, however after a while you'll see rust spots and some flaking as the moisture inside the iron leaches out. Years ago when I got serious about preserving my iron, I rushed some pieces through the boiling wax process and didn't wait until I got all the moisture out... I had to reboil those pieces years later because they still had moisture that was leaching out.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful stirrup with such a great form. What a find, and banner vote from me too.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dried it with a hair dryer, but only for a few minutes. Thought about putting it in the oven, but chickened out. I'll keep an eye on it. If the rust starts to come back, I'll do the hot wax dip method I saw in an Aquachigger video. Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful stirrup with such a great form. What a find, and banner vote from me too

Thanks for the vote, but I'm afraid not too many iron relics make banner. Now if I could find the other one, that could push it over the top! I'll keep looking, but it's hard to imagine someone losing both stirrups in one spot.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet old and a great piece of history. Thanks for the great post!!QQ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread