NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While technically I "found" this on Craigslist a few days ago, I just actually got it home... Tried it out and it works as good as new, but I have no idea what I would use it for, in town anyway, but I just had to pick it up.... It's currently in the "oh I've had that for a while now" area downstairs, but I may take it out by the river over the weekend and see what I can find. Seeing as it runs on FOUR 9volts it had better at least find enough to cover the cost of batteries :laughing7:

garrett1.jpg garrett4.jpg garrett3.jpg garrett6.jpg garrett5.jpg garrett2.jpg

Anyone have an idea of when this thing was made? I'm guessing it has to be 1970's? The serial number is 0318-029, if that helps date it... Any links to a manual, or stories of using one, or tech specs on it would be appreciated as well...If it's the rarest Garrett detector ever and worth it's weight in gold or silver I might be tempted to sell it, (it's got a bit of weight) but most likely it will stay with me and maybe I'll put together a wall of old detectors one day.

I'll post this in the Garrett section here also

Bonus pic.... Anyone else have a cup holder in the car that's just ful of batteries? I can't be the only one....
batteries1.jpg

Upvote 11

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure those were from the late 80s or early 90s. Last effort to sell a detector with 1970s technology. I thought the bloodhound came with a large (like 13 inch) coil and a 2-box coil unit. It was sold as a cache hunting detector IIRC

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah this coil is HUGE... there are spots in the hard case it came with for accessories, and i looks like there was originally a smaller coil included, but none of that was with it.

Maybe I'll take up cache hunting with it, if only I had some idea where some might be out here....

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a pic that you might be interested in.

2up4hzn.jpg

Didn't bother with the other 4 pics, but it looks like the GTI-2500 with square coils.

Garrett L880 - Zakopano blago - skriveno blago

On a side note, I always wanted to know when my first detector, a whites coin master V, was built. Just contacted whites, and apparently Steve Howard was working late. He got back to me in 15 minutes with a July 1974 build date.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 1984 based on the master hunter's line

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well.... now I need to find all the bells and whistles to go with it

good luck! You are looking for what yak posted. The bloodhound 2 box unit with the mounting rod and the 2-box cables. There is one on ebay right now but its just the 2-box coils without the mount or the cables and they are asking $99 starting bid (way too much in my opinion).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool old detector!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes older detectors are nice just to display with your finds. I have a 1976 Brinkman Treasure Sensor that I bought at an estate sale for $1.00 ! It now sits in my display case on the middle shelf. A nice vintage detector, goes with our vintage finds.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With it needing 4 nine volt batteries and being an "all metal" only machine I don't see it being something I'll use much, if ever, unless I have a spot that I want to look for large, deep targets. It'll make a nice wall hanger though.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an AT3 by Garrett in 1985 - 86. I remember seeing the Bloodhound being advertised in the KellyCo monthly or quarterly catalogue. I'm going to guesstimate they were being sold in the first half of the 80's. A call to Garrett would probably give you a date of manufacture.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like having something we love in vintage form. Very cool.

P.s. Tried to pm you this but it wouldn’t go through. I got this not to long ago on EBay and thought you would appreciate it. IMG_2166.JPG

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like having something we love in vintage form. Very cool.

P.s. Tried to pm you this but it wouldn’t go through. I got this not to long ago on EBay and thought you would appreciate it. View attachment 1539403

That's really cool! I'll have to get in my storage but I think I have an old felt pennant from Pontchartrain Beach in one of my boxes of old random stuff...

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really cool! I'll have to get in my storage but I think I have an old felt pennant from Pontchartrain Beach in one of my boxes of old random stuff...

If you find it let me know. I also bought a K&B belt buckle and pen. The belt buckle is cool and the pen was my favorite pen in 6th grade the ink smelled the Lavender.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started swinging a detector 30+ years ago I had a Fisher that was similar in design. Warning! Your wrist is going to throb in pain after swinging that Garrett for 2 hours with that ergonomically incorrect handle!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started swinging a detector 30+ years ago I had a Fisher that was similar in design. Warning! Your wrist is going to throb in pain after swinging that Garrett for 2 hours with that ergonomically incorrect handle!

My first detector was an early 80's White's Coinmaster... I remember the aching wrist and shoulder at the end of the day even at 14 years old, Now at 47 I don't want to think about how sore I'd be

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions