Last hunt my first gold in 30 years, and TODAY was such a delight !!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was my first hunt for the new year, went to a local park with Indian Steve. Steve did mighty well, I hope he posts his.

I was using the Tejon, we were pretty worn out for about a 3 hour hunt. I did okay, 27 coins for a $1.48 in clad.

And then there was this 8-)

IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1330.JPG

Sun Jan 21 15-32-01.jpg

I also did a serious scraping of the ring onto the test stone, and it passed 10KT :)

So, it took me my last hunt of the year for 2017 to find my first gold in 30 years. Now, on the opening hunt of 2018 I find a gold ring....

A GREAT start to the year for me, thank you father :thumbsup:

Upvote 48
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL I still have my Compadre. As a matter of fact, i took the Compadre out today for a couple hours. No gold or silver but lots of clad.
Likewise on the meeting. It still blows my mind that you of all people answered the Craigslist post! Such a small world.

Hey, it was actually pretty easy, I live my life by practical evaluations - I can't stop thinking, and things made sense that you were the Clist seller- I was a form of military intelligence in the war. We were taught practicality and understanding. Your post on Clist, your location, and your profile here made pretty good sense that you were the seller.

But still, a pretty lucky guess :)

I saw the ad, thought about responding on Clist. Then G'boro, and you had a Tejon in your stable of machines. Thus my PM to you, and now I swing your old Tejon for a bit, digging a whole lot more trash than I did with the CTX. But, I found ZERO gold with the CTX. It was time to go back to the basics and your Tejon has really shaken up my finds, two golds in a row with your Tejon, and NONE for a very long time using other machines.

I do submit that I've a whole lot more blisters on my hands and at least quadruple the trash digs. My first gold I'd have never dug with the CTX, this one I would have.

I went back to the basics my friend :)

And thank you for my new direction - sans blisters of course!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz ! And that's the ring I lost . So please kindly send it to me (I accept paypal) :laughing7:

Tom, one of my impressive encouragements, my friend you would have had better than a 10K ring :)

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 80's I was deep into detecting, began with a Garrett DeepseekerADSIII in probably late '82, then went Fisher, then Tesoro. I traveled for work in the construction industry, many nuke plants. The last gold ring I found was in Spring of '87 in tot lot in Plymouth, MA - while I was working heavy OT at Pilgrim Station - a nuke plant. I took several big jumps in "compensation" and ended up working at Perry Nuclear Plant in Ohio - heavy!!! overtime. One break I got I hit a park in Madison Ohio, and a county sheriff hassled me and ran me off. That happened again and again, even when visiting Virginia. So, I quit the hobby, returned to it just before I retired home to our ancestral farm. My life did end in divorce, but I don't blame her = I worked all the time and was never there and then she said "I've met someone". That took a full decade out of my life, crushed me at the time.

And that's what happened.

That is a very moving story.
I wish you all the best and many good finds now that you "rediscovered" the hobby.
I bet it must have been very exciting to metal detect back then when all the good spots were more pristine and less hunted-out.
Best wishes!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet it must have been very exciting to metal detect back then when all the good spots were more pristine and less hunted-out.

Silver coins were pretty frequent finds in the 80's. I remember one hunt in NW Ohio, 22 straight digs were silver dimes. I've found 2 silver dimes since I returned to the hobby. But, after all, location location. Today the highlight for me is jewelry finds. Clad adds up of course over time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! and 30 year drought on gold? I go into withdrawal when I go 30 DAYS without it. :tongue3:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the gold!! TFS and HH

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one sweet monkey to get off your back! Congratulations.

You've a point there, one I hadn't really thought about. It's kinda like a case of "that frees me", the curses have ended. Now I can just go swing a coil in freedom and just maybe some delights here and there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heyn you deserve it now go get some more my friend Thanks for sharing it with us!!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your golden day

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseekerads, nice find. Kind of got me thinking. I started looking for stuff in the ground when I was a kid. It took 48 years for me to find my first gold, now I have gotten numerous rings and a couple gold coins. So I suppose, you're up next. Go get the next one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread