Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    277 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello A2 coins. I got an AT Max around November 17. I'm still pretty new to detecting (coming up on 3 years) the first two years I had a detector that was only tones no screen to help. The max was a big step up in being able to find stuff. To be honest I still have a lot to learn. I don't have a ton of patience for messing around with settings so my go to is the following: I start by putting it in zero mode then I turn the iron disc all the way up to 44, then I ground balance and start detecting. This may be the dummies way to use an AT Max... I am finding through trial and error that indian heads can ring up all over the place due to different content, pull tab signals can turn out to be nickels, colonial coppers and buttons can give numbers that look like junk but can also ring up like a penny, dimes whether silver or clad can appear to be a penny, clad quarters can ring up the same as a silver coin... essentially going back to the saying "dig it all." I'm no expert but after all this time of matching tones to numbers I've found that a lot of time the tone is the best indicator of a coin. Detecting in the woods can be pretty maddening at times as the swing of the coil hitting plants can give false tones that need to be rechecked. I am currently detecting a spot that has had colonial use up to maybe the 60's. It really helps to feel you know your machine by going to the same spot repeatedly and you can get a real sense for what types of metal are in the ground. Another thing I have found is that the depth reading can be off. Sometimes it will indicate six inches and the coin turns out to be 1-2 inches deep. I have found some deep stuff though. I've had mixed results detecting salt water. The beach is fine but getting in the water you may have to adjust the settings.. still haven't figured out the best way to do that. You probably already know of them but the Hoover boys on youtube demonstrate that you can find incredible stuff with the AT pro's and AT Max. I would consider them to be experts on the AT's. As I continue to use the Max I hope to eventually figure out all the other stuff! Great detector though I feel like with my level of ability and understanding I currently would have little use for a more technical machine!
    PetesPockets55 and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    11991 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopperstax View Post
    Hello A2 coins. I got an AT Max around November 17. I'm still pretty new to detecting (coming up on 3 years) the first two years I had a detector that was only tones no screen to help. The max was a big step up in being able to find stuff. To be honest I still have a lot to learn. I don't have a ton of patience for messing around with settings so my go to is the following: I start by putting it in zero mode then I turn the iron disc all the way up to 44, then I ground balance and start detecting. This may be the dummies way to use an AT Max... I am finding through trial and error that indian heads can ring up all over the place due to different content, pull tab signals can turn out to be nickels, colonial coppers and buttons can give numbers that look like junk but can also ring up like a penny, dimes whether silver or clad can appear to be a penny, clad quarters can ring up the same as a silver coin... essentially going back to the saying "dig it all." I'm no expert but after all this time of matching tones to numbers I've found that a lot of time the tone is the best indicator of a coin. Detecting in the woods can be pretty maddening at times as the swing of the coil hitting plants can give false tones that need to be rechecked. I am currently detecting a spot that has had colonial use up to maybe the 60's. It really helps to feel you know your machine by going to the same spot repeatedly and you can get a real sense for what types of metal are in the ground. Another thing I have found is that the depth reading can be off. Sometimes it will indicate six inches and the coin turns out to be 1-2 inches deep. I have found some deep stuff though. I've had mixed results detecting salt water. The beach is fine but getting in the water you may have to adjust the settings.. still haven't figured out the best way to do that. You probably already know of them but the Hoover boys on youtube demonstrate that you can find incredible stuff with the AT pro's and AT Max. I would consider them to be experts on the AT's. As I continue to use the Max I hope to eventually figure out all the other stuff! Great detector though I feel like with my level of ability and understanding I currently would have little use for a more technical machine!
    I agree I wouldn't turn yhe iron discrimination up that high I would leave the iron audio on or just look at your VDI iron always has that light saber hum grunt easy to ID Ive noticed nickels will show 50 to 53 pop tops will usually bounce 10 or more numbers on the VDI. I love this machine . The sounds alone tell a lot lots of practice I dig most signals eccept in trashy areas the smaller coil works great
    xcopperstax likes this.
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $5.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for small 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links