My new AT MAX I liked it alot and some info that might help others !!!Anyone else

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out with my new AT MAX in the snow for a couple hours, and also today in the rain I found a good amount of clad in a spot Ive hit many times with my AT PRO. No pics I did find a gun ciggarette lighter which Ill post soon. I wanted to post how I liked the at max. It was very easy to use since Ive used the at pro for so long .I love the bigger VDI and backlight and the cordless headphones are awesome the signals seem much crisper on coins and this machine gets coins deeper then my at pro I tested both machines in my test area for a half dollar and a dime and the max hit the target about 2 to 3 inches deeper. I'm not trying to promote this detecter I just really like it its easy to learn and just the upgrades are great enough to switch from pro to the max . The all metal mode I'm learning every target you pass the coil over the beep sound is the same not like the pro mode where coins are a higher pitch sound and iron a lower pitch. In all metal I have to look at the vdi numbers for every target usually 79 and up for coins and use iron audio to see if its a good target also. I'm still a pro mode fan, sensitivity up all the way I know there hasn't been many reviews yet and I haven't done a full long hunt yet but I love it. No programs and lengthy adjustments ect my jewelry and silver coin cases are getting bigger, the all metal seems like it would be good in areas without a lot of junk Ive learned to hunt a lot by the target sound all metal takes a lot of reading your vdi. Ive learned on both machines pop tops will vary vdi numbers 7 to 8 numbers.I tried all metal Ill wait to reply more on that and learn more about the threshold option. Anyway just my experience.I hope to hear more people share their experience with the AT MAX also. This post is only to share my experience with my new AT MAX also I found this to help explain threshold I hope this might help any other AT MAX users I found this on another site helped me get it!!!thanks TOMMY
An adjustable threshold is not a setting most lower-end detectors give you, and many do not even allow you to hear the threshold tone. In most machines used today, when detecting in a discrimination mode, the machine is quiet until you detect an object. This is not because there was nothing to hear, but simply because the background signal is not passed on to the user at all. Instead artificial tones are generated when the electronics detect a signal that it's processors deem worthy of your notice. But deep inside, the machine "hears" this constant signal coming from the coil, and decides at what point a small change in that signal is worthy of being sent to you, the user.

But all the older machines allowed you to hear this constant background noise, and it can bring in very deep or weak signals other detectorists miss. The upper-end Whites machines still have this feature, as do a few other brands, especially when they are in the all-metal mode.

Consider it as if you are listening to the raw signal from the ground, without any processors deciding for you if it's a good target or not. You decide, and it's your ears and brain that tell the difference between a change due to your swing or nearby metal surface object, and a repeatable faint whisper of change that is from a deep object.

For every positive signal you get in your machine, telling you that it found a target.. there are probably hundreds of time that the machine CHOOSE to ignore a good signal detection rather than send it to you. Why?

Because of THRESHOLD. Threshold is the level at which the barrage of background noise, be it ground signal or EMI, is ignored. You all do this automatically in everyday life. You have learned to TUNE OUT the sound of fluorescent lighting in an office, or the low hum of air conditioners. You still can HEAR it, but you have adjusted your perception to ignore it. If you didn't, then you would be barraged by so many sounds that your daily life would be painful and you could not concentrate. A metal detector's circuits do the same. They are set (or you set them) to ignore the small fluctuations in the background signal coming from the coil. But small changes in that background signal are also coming from deep metal targets, not just ground interference or EMI. If the detector has TUNED OUT (or set the threshold higher than) that small change in incoming signal, then you will never know what you just passed over. It's like you not noticing a tiny, momentary pitch change in the AC in your office.

It's impossible for a detector to tell that a small change in signal that was detected from a deep coin was any different than an identical signal change from random noise or bad ground. Only YOU, by re-sweeping the suspected target area and hearing that tone REPEAT are YOU able to make that observation and know that this was no fluke of ground noise, but a real object under the ground. You have one thing the machine does not.. eyes.

Here's a chart that shows where the threshold level should be at and why. In this graph, the blue line is the signal coming from the ground and converted into an audio wave. The spike ¾ of the way across is a weak, but good target. The bump at the far end is a very weak, very signal, down deep.

attachment.php

The background hum is the state of the machine being in perfect ground balance. It's like listening to the fog of ground noise. If you turn this down too low you cannot hear the faint increase in tonal pitch caused by a weak deep signal as it just barely rises above the ground noise. If you set it too high, all you hear is background noise, which then masks out those weaker signals.

If the detector sets this level automatically, you can see (depending on ground conditions and EMI) that you can miss the weaker signals. This is what happens without you knowing it with a machine that runs silently. The machine is deciding what level of signal rises to the level of being heard - not you.

attachment.php

Having a machine that allows you to hear and adjust the threshold level, puts you in more control of the machine, allows you to hear things you never would otherwise (weak signals, null, and ground imbalance) and find those elusive targets everyone else missed!

This is one reason the old White's 5800 and 6000 detectors are still very popular with the old pros and still fetch a premium on eBay. Get your hands on a White's 6000 Di Pro XL - and you will be amazed at what sounds you've been missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 17

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know.....we don't all have family that just delivers new detectors to our doors! Lol,

Seriously though. Glad you like the new machine! It's definitely a deep seeker. I don't think I could bear the iron audio but to each their own. Awesome to have all the machine choices at our disposal!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know.....we don't all have family that just delivers new detectors to our doors! Lol,

Seriously though. Glad you like the new machine! It's definitely a deep seeker. I don't think I could bear the iron audio but to each their own. Awesome to have all the machine choices at our disposal!
I like the pro mode I don't like the iron audio much. Trust me I'm the Black sheep of the Family broke for most of my life brothers a Doctor sister well off this was a shock I think they werte drinking and accidently hit buy it now on Amazon!!!!!!!!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the pro mode I don't like the iron audio much. Trust me I'm the Black sheep of the Family broke for most of my life brothers a Doctor sister well off this was a shock I think they werte drinking and accidently hit buy it now on Amazon!!!!!!!!!

Lol! Send them more booze!

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I don't know about the Threshold hum going on all the time but it provides more depth but only can be used on all metal but if it gets me deep coins I can do it... and a cleaner area. Do people with the more expensive machines with threshold have the humming the whole time you detect???I The only way its silent is at 0 or negative

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you know where to put threshold? Does it have anything to do with mineralization as far as where to set it? Do most people just put it on neg 1 if they do use it? I have the Max and I use Iron Audio a lot. Never really messed with Threshold but I’m interested.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know where to put threshold? Does it have anything to do with mineralization as far as where to set it? Do most people just put it on neg 1 if they do use it? I have the Max and I use Iron Audio a lot. Never really messed with Threshold but I’m interested.
I'm still learning myself on my Max I can hear the hum on plus 1 and from what I understand you need to hear the hum to hear the deep target that normally would not be sent by your detector but if you use threshold it has to be humming the whole time you use it. Any one else use this??

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not as yet have either AT machine,but I have used the 6000di pro for many many years and it produced an awesome amount of relics,coins and jewelry..

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not as yet have either AT machine,but I have used the 6000di pro for many many years and it produced an awesome amount of relics,coins and jewelry..
Did you run it with the thresh hold humming for deep targets???

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A2Coins (Tommy) thank you very much for your post. I have the AT-Max and have been slowly warming up to the Max, I have been using the Pro mode most of time but I’m beginning to use All Metal Mode with iron disc. have used threshold on and off, not sure if I like the threshold feature. I can see where threshold maybe is a good feature to have. This past weekend was the first time I really got a chance to get several hours in on the machine. Really like the backlighted screen and the larger VDI numbers, the wireless headphones are great.

Hal :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2Coins (Tommy) thank you very much for your post. I have the AT-Max and have been slowly warming up to the Max, I have been using the Pro mode most of time but I’m beginning to use All Metal Mode with iron disc. have used threshold on and off, not sure if I like the threshold feature. I can see where threshold maybe is a good feature to have. This past weekend was the first time I really got a chance to get several hours in on the machine. Really like the backlighted screen and the larger VDI numbers, the wireless headphones are great.

Hal :thumbsup:
hated getting the headphone cord stuck on bushes backlight Thanks Hal I like the new features a lot backlight bigger vdi and the sounds are much crisper. I like pro mode that article explains what the threshold is I'm just hoping someone with that feature on any machine comments on its value in using... Good luck Hal see you on the Banner list soon I hope,,

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still learning myself on my Max I can hear the hum on plus 1 and from what I understand you need to hear the hum to hear the deep target that normally would not be sent by your detector but if you use threshold it has to be humming the whole time you use it. Any one else use this??

I’m swinging tomorrow I’ll try it out and let you know what I think.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m swinging tomorrow I’ll try it out and let you know what I think.
Thanks I'm still waiting for decent weather to get one decent hunt in. Look forward to your input I haven't heard many comments on the Max yet from others I love it...

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks I'm still waiting for decent weather to get one decent hunt in. Look forward to your input I haven't heard many comments on the Max yet from others I love it...

I hit 3 ringers 14” down with a storm coil, VDI jumping all up in the upper 60’s and in a hunted out public park in New Orleans. I talked to a very experienced guy well educated on detecting and I took him to the spot. I got a faint signal in the 60’s deep with the stock coil at 10”. I said “I think I got another one know” he ran his F75 over it and nothing. I dug it a sure enough a 69 cal. I dug 28 out that spot over November and December of 2017. Never found a CW 3 ringer before that. Great feeling thanks to the AT Max. IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1495.JPG IMG_2021.JPG

Not to mention a BEAST on small deep targets. 10” down smaller than my pinky nail. IMG_1203.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also I don't know about the Threshold hum going on all the time but it provides more depth but only can be used on all metal but if it gets me deep coins I can do it... and a cleaner area. Do people with the more expensive machines with threshold have the humming the whole time you detect???I The only way its silent is at 0 or negative

My Etrac I have it set just so you can hear it, to loud is anoying, but I can always hear it in the back round, A2

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing!

i have both the AT Pro and Gold it appears the Max is a nice hybrid between the two. Enjoy your new machine. :icon_thumleft:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding of having the background "Hum", is that any interruption in that hum would alert you to SOMETHING in the ground, good or bad. the threshold or "hum" should be at a minimum and your just listening for a "break" in it. When I first bought an AT Pro, I thought something was wrong with it, there was no threshold, and that's all I had ever known before hand. Sometimes I like the "silent" search, sometimes I like the background hum as I have with my minelab. Now I do not really know, but might it take slightly " more" signal to "Break thru" the silent search, just as would it take less of a signal to "interrupt" the threshold? When on the Safari I use the Relic mode, even a "null" in the background hum going over rejected targets can tell you something. I am certain that there are Forum members that can really explain the reasons and/or pro's and con's for both FAR better than I. It's my understanding that the MAX has the option to use either one? I'm with A2 on this, I really would like to understand it more, and why some machines might have it, and others not. I guess while were at it, I believe I read somewhere that the Threshold level should be turned UP on the detector, and then adjusted with the volume control knobs on your headphones. America wants to know.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for sharing your information. I also ended up with an AT MAX. It's a huge jump for me since I'm new to this hobby. I have only been able to get out once with it. I went from finding nails 4" down with Delta 4000, to finding a nail 12" down. Lol!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your new detector is working out for you Tommy. Spring is around the corner !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions