Copper 'container?'metal detecting find

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am new to this site and to metal detecting. I started affordable with a Bounty Hunter II on sale at Big5. I gathered metal samples of different sorts for practice. Spent an afternoon finding targets in my side yard, then moved on to a nearby park/nature trail. There have been historical floods in my area, and this park is at the joining of two rivers.
Today, my first neat find! But I don't know what it is, and can find no manufacturer mark. Still neat I think, what do YOU think? Ideas, thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180125_153805.jpg
    20180125_153805.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
  • 20180125_153813.jpg
    20180125_153813.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
  • 20180125_153822.jpg
    20180125_153822.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 21

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like a locket

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a ladies makeup compact. Keep hunting that area, could be some goodies there.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a really good start to get you addicted. I bet you have a wonderful spot there, keep hitting it. Welcome to the party and Good Luck , Happy Hunting

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really appreciate the quick feedback, what a great site!
I picked my area with a theory, dating this item would help my theory as I am looking for debris piles from a flood almost 100 years ago. There is very little historical data on debris field or cleanup, so I am guessing. I found plenty of trash of course, but this one was almost at the surface about 200m from some kind of industrial ruins.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a compact. May have had a mirror in it at one time. Sounds like a great sight. I have done especially well working river banks. Folks sit near the river and lose their stuff. Welcome to the obsession.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job there will be many great finds coming for you. Thanks for the great post

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome to tnet and the addiction youll see!!!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A compact. Can't positively remember, but I think the heart cut out was cloth stuffed to puff it out with the mirror inside holding it. A seller friend wanted me to plate one similar for him, but didn't want to pay what I wanted. Try cleaning it around the hinge some were marked there. If you go to restore it, try hobby shops for brass bar stock to replace the pin. Nice find!

Welcome to TNet!

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really appreciate the insight and feedback! I have lightly brushed away the loose soil, but the metal seems almost bonded to some heavy mineralization from the soil, the look of it is perfect to my eye how it is, and I really don't want to damage the surface with abrasives. I do think I may follow through with the hinge pin suggestion, but to do so will take some delicate reforming. I will definitely inspect further around the hinge. If I find a mark or fix it up, I will be sure to post a photo.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah well....say goodbye to your former life Bashroo, I think you've become one of us, a Detectorist, now everywhere you go, you will look at things differently, with a Detector guys eyes.

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is so therapeutic for me in a big way. Not just the peace of the outdoors, but the searching of my environment. After spending time in Iraq during my Army days, I quickly adopted the habit of 5's and 25's, the non stop scanning for anomalies has never stopped. Now I can make it useful instead of not.
You are right in so many ways.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a ladies compact with the mirror or glass missing from the heart side. Welcome to the site and our insanity !

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me also like a ladies makeup compact with a bit of silver wash on it.
Cool

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the insight and feedback! I have lightly brushed away the loose soil, but the metal seems almost bonded to some heavy mineralization from the soil, the look of it is perfect to my eye how it is, and I really don't want to damage the surface with abrasives. I do think I may follow through with the hinge pin suggestion, but to do so will take some delicate reforming. I will definitely inspect further around the hinge. If I find a mark or fix it up, I will be sure to post a photo.

If you do decide to do it up, try this. Give it a short soak in some citric acid in water and a light brushing with a toothbrush. You can get citric acid in the spice section of a grocery or order up bigger amounts from the spice suppliers. Works great to get the dirt encrustations off without removing everything else if you like the patina & rust. No scratches. The 99 cent stores have toothbrushes 6 or 8 for 99. The little oriental lady at mine gives me funny looks, guess she must think I've got the cleanest teeth in town!
Again Welcome! and it's good to see you getting hooked!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
please explain to an old dude, what does fives and twenty fives mean?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread