The British are coming! The British are coming! First Rev War button + CW and more!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the new colonial site this weekend and it did not disappoint. So far this site has checked off 2 bucket listers for me. The first was the Capped Bust and now it gives me my first Rev War button. VMI dug an almost identical 82nd regiment of foot as the one I dug. Glad what is left of the button is the center thats for sure. Still very ecstatic!

IMG_5985.jpg IMG_5986.jpg

Was able to dig two infantry CW buttons as well! One Union and one Confederate! This is my first Confederate block I and i'm not sure about the back mark...can't really make anything out.

IMG_5987.jpg IMG_5988.jpg IMG_5989.jpg IMG_5966.jpg

I dug a bunch of buttons once again. One is very interesting. At first we thought we might have seen it on the GW inaugural button site. Tell me what y'all think. Theres another button with an eagle on the back, which are cool to find. There are a couple of tiny two piece buttons that I can't get the crud off as well. So who knows what those could be...

IMG_5990.jpg IMG_5992.jpg IMG_5993.jpg IMG_5994.jpg

Was finally able to dig a nice buckle from the site...

IMG_5995.jpg

Surprisingly, we haven't really dug many modern coins at all. Nothing younger than IHP's really. So digging two Buffs (one 1937) and a 1944s Merc was a pleasant surprise.

IMG_5996.jpg IMG_5997.jpg

Dug my first silver Thimble! Has a little 2 marked on it (thats the size right?) Also dug this interesting thing...someone tell me its something amazing!

IMG_5998.jpg IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6001.jpg IMG_6002.jpg

Among all the shell edge and other porcelain/pottery, I dug this really nice piece with a child depicted on it.

IMG_6003.jpg

Need help with this ID as well...it feels real old to me just not sure what it might be.

IMG_6004.jpg IMG_6005.jpg

Last but not least, what I believe to be a British made Brown Bess butt plate. Tell me if I'm wrong. Who knows, might have belonged to the guy from the 82nd Regiment of Foot missing 2 buttons!

IMG_6006.jpg IMG_6007.jpg IMG_6008.jpg IMG_6009.jpg

Thanks for looking y'all! Thanks in advance for any Id's. Good luck out there!

IMG_5984.jpg

Upvote 32
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys need to clear every beep from that sight! Awesome relic recoveries. Well done.

For sure man. I've been digging every signal, especially in the area we have been digging all the buttons. Thanks!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What awesome finds! You may be on to some sort of camp area. That button is super, a dream find for any Rev. War detectorist! The butt plate is VERY cool, and a once in a life time rare find. Great Job!! :weee:

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought you'd want to know... your Confederate Infantry "I" button is a British-made one... and a very scarce version of the Brit-made Confederate buttons, a Rowley I. Its backmark says "C. Rowley / Extra Rich." It is shown in the Albert button-book as button CS-174.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought you'd want to know... your Confederate Infantry "I" button is a British-made one... and a very scarce version of the Brit-made Confederate buttons, a Rowley I. Its backmark says "C. Rowley / Extra Rich." It is shown in the Albert button-book as button CS-174.

Wow thanks CBG! I had no idea really. I can see it now though.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those outstanding military buttons, and the rest of your finds.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What awesome finds! You may be on to some sort of camp area. That button is super, a dream find for any Rev. War detectorist! The butt plate is VERY cool, and a once in a life time rare find. Great Job!! :weee:

Thank you sir! When you're in the Charleston area you're in the midsts of all kinds of Rev War Activity. Just never know when you will land a good one. The Brits liked hanging out at plantation homes too i'm sure.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the butt plate and button bud. Also I see cannonballguy just id’d your Infantry Bryon as a rare version. Very nice!!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the butt plate and button bud. Also I see cannonballguy just id’d your Infantry Bryon as a rare version. Very nice!!

Thanks Scrappy. It was a good weekend thats for sure. Anytime you can add to your special displays its a good time. Now all I want is some big coppers! The all illusive big coppers

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We are lucky to have some very knowledgeable and helpful members on here. Great id CBG. Some fantastic finds Stef! Every time I see a Rev button it reminds m that I don’t have one....but I will in 2018. Pretty exciting info about the Brit made button. It’s awesome when you think you have a good find and learn it’s a great find. Tnet at its best right here. Great assist CBG! You’re a great asset to the forum

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are lucky to have some very knowledgeable and helpful members on here. Great id CBG. Some fantastic finds Stef! Every time I see a Rev button it reminds m that I don’t have one....but I will in 2018. Pretty exciting info about the Brit made button. It’s awesome when you think you have a good find and learn it’s a great find. Tnet at its best right here. Great assist CBG! You’re a great asset to the forum

Couldn't have said it any better Ahab! Thank you. I'm sure theres a rev war button in your future...i mean if i can dig one, anyone can.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT AINT RIGHT IT JUST AINT RIGHT, NICE FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread