Have a question on gold?

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
I had found this 14k cross/anchor necklace. I found it on a football field about 4 in down and with a football field comes fertilizer and i think thats what made it dull. I tried using toothpaste and jewelry cleaner but nothing seems to be working well. I was wondering if anyone might know of or used something that worked well to shine the gold back. heres pic of anchor. Thanks

Attachments

• ancorthing.jpg
    ancorthing.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
nope slow just the 14k. Have searched the whole thing over for other marking and nothing. Why do you ask?

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
I have no idea on the cleaning but its an awesome find!

OP
OP
Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Yea Orygun found that just as it was getting dark. So when i pulled it out i had no cluse to what it was till i got back to car. even then didn't know it was gold till i got home and started to clen it up. also found this 14k mens wedding band.

Attachments

• 14k wedding band.jpg
    14k wedding band.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 271

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? Well I'm no expert but I didn't think gold tarnished. I think about the gold that is found in shipwrecks in the ocean. Doen't that come out looking like gold? Untarnished. And saltwater is one of the most corrosive environments around. The gold rings I have found with my detector are not tarnished.
? ? The reason I asked about other marks is I thought there might be a GP- gold plate, or HGE-heavy gold electroplate. Making it gold plated rather than solid gold.
? ? Just don't know. Someone smarter than me will probably have a better answer.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Mighty Mouse congrats on the finds. You could try dremel and jewlers rouge to get it to polish back. The other thing being that sadly not all that is stamped 14k is really 14k it could be much less or not even not gold at all. I have found a few pieces over the years that had a stamp but were not real. Hopefully the dremel will bring it back up to par.
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
I was thinking the same thing about it being tshed and all. I know the rings i have found over the years have also come up looking like gold. But i havent found anything gold burried deep like this and with all the fert. being thrown on the field i had no clue as to what it would do to gold over the years. think i might take to a jewler and have em test it for me. Thanks all on the input.

S

stoneman

HI- I am a pro. bench jeweler & work with gold every work day. One reason the gold could be tarnished is #1 from heat #2 not be gold but stamped 14k without mfg's trademark.If it is not trademarked, be suspicious. There is a lot of fake jewelry that comes from Mexico stamped 14k. I have a 14k & 10k steel stamp in my work bench that I could use to stamp anything that looks like gold. I use them to restamp gold rings that I size if the stamp is cut out during sizing. 14k HGE inside a ring means heavy gold electro plate. 14k P means 14k plumb gold, if it is stamped 417 that would be 10k gold & 585 would be 14k. 8)

D

Del-Oro

Hi
Your find is really great I'ii be interested to see what you find out about it.
What would Stoneman clean it up with ?
Think about what you will do with it? I know if your gona sell
antiques some times you don't want to do much cleaning. even with coins, kills the value .
Happy hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Go to walmart buy a can of mother's mag and aluminum polish. It's in a red and white can. Comes in a white paste. Safe for all metal surfaces. Won't scratch it. It will shine that thing like it just came back from the jewelers. Just take some of the paste put it on your fingers and rub it all over the piece until the white paste turns black on it. Let it sit for 5 minutes and buff it off with a towel. You'll be amazed. If you feal it needs to be cleaner do it again. But I can guarantee after one polishing it will look brand new. But you don't have to take my word for it. Just try it you'll see.

Hope this helps. HH Jer

S

stoneman

Hey- I forgot to mention, tie your gold items that you dig on a string & let hang down motionless & try a powerful magnet up close to the item to see if it is attracted ever so slightly. Don't test it near the fastener on a chain because it has a tiny steel spring in the lobester claw variety. This is not 100% accurate because there some items gold plated are over brass, some over silver, which should be stamped 925 for the silver. I clean tarnished gold or silver item with a powerful ultra sonic cleaner & buffer. I buy gold from the public but I use professional electronic tester. :) ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread