🥇 BANNER HUGE ORDINANCE CACHE DISCOVERED!!! ............. INCLUDING A CS ARCHER BOLT!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As everyone knows, the last few weeks have not been too conducive to relic hunting because of all the snowy, cold, and wet weather we have been having. Southeastern Virginia, however, was fortunate to have a break for a few days last week and weekend (at least on Saturday) and I jumped at the opportunity to get some time in swinging my XP Deus. For years I had been wanting to get permission on a piece of property that I knew might have witnessed some shelling during the Peninsula campaign but the landowner was not fond of relic hunters. Permission had been denied to me on several attempts over the last 20 years. I had heard this site had been hunted early in the 60's and 70's and cleaned out but I still felt like this area had some secrets left in it. On Wednesday I drove by the area and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a real estate "Sold" sign. Sure enough this piece of real estate was now under new ownership! It took about an hour of conversing with the new owner but I was soon granted permission to hunt. I'm not going to go into all the details, as I am planning to write an article about the three days that followed, but I wanted to share here with everyone what I have found at this site up till now........ So far the shell and cannonball count is up to EIGHT!!! (2) 10 inch mortar balls, (1) ground burst 10 inch mortar ball, (1) 8 pound solid shot, (2) 6 pound solid shot, what I believe is half of a Revolutionary War chain shot or bar shot, and an unbelievable CS Archer Bolt dug on Saturday! Lots of lead canister shot and fragments have also been found. The only buttons I have dug so far is a Coat New York Staff, an Overcoat Eagle "I", and another coat Eagle button. Other relics include part of a shoulder epilautte, half of an early colonial set of cufflinks with a glass insert, and several bullets including one Enfield, a Burnside, 2 Spencers, and a few pistol bullets. These cannonballs and shells are DEEP. one of the 10 inch balls was at 4 1/2 feet while the other was at 3 feet deep. Even the CS Archer Bolt was at 3 feet deep. So even though I have pretty much covered the entire hillside (impact area) where these were discovered I feel there are more. Hopefully there will be a part 2 to this story! HH Devonrex ..... (PS The cannonballs and shell are currently being defused and electrolysized by a professional and are in no way a harm to anyone)

Attachments

• OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 885
  • OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 583
  • OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 500
  • OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 559
  • OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 507
  • OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 488
  • OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 486
  • OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 529
  • OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 501
  • OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 540
  • OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Upvote 104

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Talk about some amazing finds! Gotta be careful digging that kind of stuff...lol

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Major league relic score mate. Excellent recoveries, research, and permission. Well done.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic group of relics! I am hoping to see more coming from that site!

Steve

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the permission and the awesome recoveries from the hunting at the site. Best of luck on the return hunts and the clean up on these finds.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So awesome! Sure glad you saw the sold sign. Great saves!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi D, Congrats on your finds as well!!! I know how difficult it is to extract round shot from a hole, heres a pic of 6 from elbow deep water (in March" ......HH....Bonz View attachment 1544360
Congratulations on discovering your cache as well!!! Yes, the hardest part is getting the ball out of the hole. The 10 inch mortars weigh in excess of 100 pounds each........ I don't know how many times they both slipped from my grip and rolled back to the bottom of their holes . They each took me over an hour before the balls were on top of the ground!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can't even tell that's an Archer show us what it looks like cleaned up a little. That's a fantastic site, two mortars is almost unheard of these days. Congratulations, I'm voting banner.
Yes, it is unheard of. The last time I dug a mortar like this was 15 years ago. You can be within 3 feet of these monsters and if you have any respectable machine you are going to hear it! That is why the first relic hunters into an impact area usually found these. These were DEEP.......... that is why they were still there.

Last edited:

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the amazing find. Huge respect for your perseverance.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding finds. Banner if I can vote.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Save and Banner worthy for sure. You don't post often but when you do Dayum

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guess I need a new detector...if yours hears something at 4FEET!........congrats!!!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic saves for sure! Congratulations and a banner vote. Can't wait to read the article!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I need a new detector...if yours hears something at 4FEET!........congrats!!!
Thanks TimberCrack, here's a pic of the hole that the first 10 inch mortar ball came out of. If you look closely you can see my side knife at the bottom. Once the ball was out I measured the depth
and it was over 4 and 1/2 feet deep! It took me over an hour to get this big boy out!!! Devonrex

Attachments

• OrdinanceCache33.jpg
    OrdinanceCache33.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a banner hunt indeed! A hunt that all us relic nuts dream of. Congratulations! Vote is in.
Thanks Relic Nut, Yes I have had many dreams like this......where every hole is an artillery shell or button or buckle!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super finds
Congrats