🥇 BANNER HUGE ORDINANCE CACHE DISCOVERED!!! ............. INCLUDING A CS ARCHER BOLT!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As everyone knows, the last few weeks have not been too conducive to relic hunting because of all the snowy, cold, and wet weather we have been having. Southeastern Virginia, however, was fortunate to have a break for a few days last week and weekend (at least on Saturday) and I jumped at the opportunity to get some time in swinging my XP Deus. For years I had been wanting to get permission on a piece of property that I knew might have witnessed some shelling during the Peninsula campaign but the landowner was not fond of relic hunters. Permission had been denied to me on several attempts over the last 20 years. I had heard this site had been hunted early in the 60's and 70's and cleaned out but I still felt like this area had some secrets left in it. On Wednesday I drove by the area and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a real estate "Sold" sign. Sure enough this piece of real estate was now under new ownership! It took about an hour of conversing with the new owner but I was soon granted permission to hunt. I'm not going to go into all the details, as I am planning to write an article about the three days that followed, but I wanted to share here with everyone what I have found at this site up till now........ So far the shell and cannonball count is up to EIGHT!!! (2) 10 inch mortar balls, (1) ground burst 10 inch mortar ball, (1) 8 pound solid shot, (2) 6 pound solid shot, what I believe is half of a Revolutionary War chain shot or bar shot, and an unbelievable CS Archer Bolt dug on Saturday! Lots of lead canister shot and fragments have also been found. The only buttons I have dug so far is a Coat New York Staff, an Overcoat Eagle "I", and another coat Eagle button. Other relics include part of a shoulder epilautte, half of an early colonial set of cufflinks with a glass insert, and several bullets including one Enfield, a Burnside, 2 Spencers, and a few pistol bullets. These cannonballs and shells are DEEP. one of the 10 inch balls was at 4 1/2 feet while the other was at 3 feet deep. Even the CS Archer Bolt was at 3 feet deep. So even though I have pretty much covered the entire hillside (impact area) where these were discovered I feel there are more. Hopefully there will be a part 2 to this story! HH Devonrex ..... (PS The cannonballs and shell are currently being defused and electrolysized by a professional and are in no way a harm to anyone)

Attachments

• OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 880
  • OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 582
  • OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 499
  • OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 558
  • OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 506
  • OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 539
  • OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 500
  • OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 528
  • OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 485
  • OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 487
  • OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Upvote 104

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding John. I too want to see the Archer cleaned up. Get back there asap

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding John. I too want to see the Archer cleaned up. Get back there asap
Thanks Joey! Once I get the shell and cannonballs (mortars) back I will post them again. Hoping to get back soon. John

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow man! Huge congrats! Jealous as heck tho . . .

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow man! Huge congrats! Jealous as heck tho . . .
Thanks parsonwalker...... I know you've dug some artillery lately and know the feeling that goes along with it! Wish I could bottle it and drink it everyday!! Dev

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner John. Well deserved and just an incredible hunt.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another BANNER Vote from another Ga. boy. Very Well done. That was certainly a lot of ordinance found in one area. I really liked the Archer Bolt and the heavy mortars. Here's to continued Success and more ordinance to come your way from this area. All of this found must have certainly been well worth the wait on getting permission to hunt this site.:notworthy:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on banner :icon_thumleft:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to admit that the cannon ball in the hole looks pretty good. You had lots of pictures and jeff of pa picked the right one. Congrats.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everyone knows, the last few weeks have not been too conducive to relic hunting because of all the snowy, cold, and wet weather we have been having. Southeastern Virginia, however, was fortunate to have a break for a few days last week and weekend (at least on Saturday) and I jumped at the opportunity to get some time in swinging my XP Deus. For years I had been wanting to get permission on a piece of property that I knew might have witnessed some shelling during the Peninsula campaign but the landowner was not fond of relic hunters. Permission had been denied to me on several attempts over the last 20 years. I had heard this site had been hunted early in the 60's and 70's and cleaned out but I still felt like this area had some secrets left in it. On Wednesday I drove by the area and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a real estate "Sold" sign. Sure enough this piece of real estate was now under new ownership! It took about an hour of conversing with the new owner but I was soon granted permission to hunt. I'm not going to go into all the details, as I am planning to write an article about the three days that followed, but I wanted to share here with everyone what I have found at this site up till now........ So far the shell and cannonball count is up to EIGHT!!! (2) 10 inch mortar balls, (1) ground burst 10 inch mortar ball, (1) 8 pound solid shot, (2) 6 pound solid shot, what I believe is half of a Revolutionary War chain shot or bar shot, and an unbelievable CS Archer Bolt dug on Saturday! Lots of lead canister shot and fragments have also been found. The only buttons I have dug so far is a Coat New York Staff, an Overcoat Eagle "I", and another coat Eagle button. Other relics include part of a shoulder epilautte, half of an early colonial set of cufflinks with a glass insert, and several bullets including one Enfield, a Burnside, 2 Spencers, and a few pistol bullets. These cannonballs and shells are DEEP. one of the 10 inch balls was at 4 1/2 feet while the other was at 3 feet deep. Even the CS Archer Bolt was at 3 feet deep. So even though I have pretty much covered the entire hillside (impact area) where these were discovered I feel there are more. Hopefully there will be a part 2 to this story! HH Devonrex ..... (PS The cannonballs and shell are currently being defused and electrolysized by a professional and are in no way a harm to anyone)

Great Work as Usual Devonrex, Glad to see you made a well deserved Banner as Well.

My $ Says there in much more there , Ill admit I have not read the complete thread , & heard about your dig's Last Saturday.
I read it all ASAP.

wv1978

May 4, 2013
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2+ , Garrett Ace 250 , Bounty Hunter quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!Way to go on the banner finds. That's Awesome!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your finds and on achieving BANNER #5 John! :occasion14:

Best of luck on your return trips... persistence does pay off! :laughing7:

Dave

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible is an understatement!!!:notworthy:o

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks amazing to me.. can not wait for the follow up post!! Congrats Devonrex.. WoW.. :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! This is why we get out there and hunt! Congrats!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK
This is the post I recall .

A different site than the Dec, 17 one , You started the year nicely.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread