🥇 BANNER HUGE ORDINANCE CACHE DISCOVERED!!! ............. INCLUDING A CS ARCHER BOLT!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As everyone knows, the last few weeks have not been too conducive to relic hunting because of all the snowy, cold, and wet weather we have been having. Southeastern Virginia, however, was fortunate to have a break for a few days last week and weekend (at least on Saturday) and I jumped at the opportunity to get some time in swinging my XP Deus. For years I had been wanting to get permission on a piece of property that I knew might have witnessed some shelling during the Peninsula campaign but the landowner was not fond of relic hunters. Permission had been denied to me on several attempts over the last 20 years. I had heard this site had been hunted early in the 60's and 70's and cleaned out but I still felt like this area had some secrets left in it. On Wednesday I drove by the area and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a real estate "Sold" sign. Sure enough this piece of real estate was now under new ownership! It took about an hour of conversing with the new owner but I was soon granted permission to hunt. I'm not going to go into all the details, as I am planning to write an article about the three days that followed, but I wanted to share here with everyone what I have found at this site up till now........ So far the shell and cannonball count is up to EIGHT!!! (2) 10 inch mortar balls, (1) ground burst 10 inch mortar ball, (1) 8 pound solid shot, (2) 6 pound solid shot, what I believe is half of a Revolutionary War chain shot or bar shot, and an unbelievable CS Archer Bolt dug on Saturday! Lots of lead canister shot and fragments have also been found. The only buttons I have dug so far is a Coat New York Staff, an Overcoat Eagle "I", and another coat Eagle button. Other relics include part of a shoulder epilautte, half of an early colonial set of cufflinks with a glass insert, and several bullets including one Enfield, a Burnside, 2 Spencers, and a few pistol bullets. These cannonballs and shells are DEEP. one of the 10 inch balls was at 4 1/2 feet while the other was at 3 feet deep. Even the CS Archer Bolt was at 3 feet deep. So even though I have pretty much covered the entire hillside (impact area) where these were discovered I feel there are more. Hopefully there will be a part 2 to this story! HH Devonrex ..... (PS The cannonballs and shell are currently being defused and electrolysized by a professional and are in no way a harm to anyone)

Attachments

• OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    OrdinanceCache22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 880
  • OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    OrdinanceCache11.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 582
  • OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    OrdinanceCache2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 499
  • OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    OrdinanceCache3 .jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 558
  • OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    OrdinanceCache5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 506
  • OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    OrdinaceCache9.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 487
  • OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    OrdinaceCache8.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 485
  • OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    OrdinaceCache7.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 528
  • OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    OrdinanceCache6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 500
  • OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    OrdinanceCache4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 539
  • OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    OrdinaceCache10.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Upvote 104

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site, I bet theres a ton more stuff there. Being hunted in the 60s and early 70's those machine left a lot behind.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i say banner this really neat

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! :notworthy:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a banner hunt indeed! A hunt that all us relic nuts dream of. Congratulations! Vote is in.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great permission hunt. Banner vote from me also.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is totally awesome!!! Tenacity surely has paid off, congratulations, BANNER!!!!:notworthy:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We can't even tell that's an Archer show us what it looks like cleaned up a little. That's a fantastic site, two mortars is almost unheard of these days. Congratulations, I'm voting banner.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and well done for your persistence. Not sure if I would have dug down 4' for an object but then again you never know until you do so. Hope you are able to find more relics and share with us. :icon_thumright:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... super stellar spot.

Go back ASAP.

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi D, I know how difficult it is to extract round shot from a hole, heres a pic of 6 from elbow deep water (in March" ......HH....Bonz Copy of 6 cannonballs 1812..JPG

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, I’d say banner!!!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEED THE 808 BOX FROM WHITES .HELLUVA NICE FINDS>>>

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find more pictures and hopefully you will post a link to the article. Thanks for sharing !!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am later in responding to your post ,all I could add is hopefully you can go back there. Also ,having hunted in late 60's I know many many great items were passed over.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is in. This is the hunt I was hoping for this spring but ya beat me to it! Being that deep I bet the iron started out as just a chirp. Great hunt. Look forward to seeing them cleaned. Hope to se a part two as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread