jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When out to a street tearout in oldest part of town. I was able to find just a civil war General service . 20180204_080430.jpg 20180204_080432.jpg 20180204_124604.jpg 20180204_180543.jpg

Upvote 31

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking button, that town is covered in CW stuff!!

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! UDAMAN!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score

31DBF969-BFF3-4A05-A7D2-CD83C606D161.jpeg

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the CW button and I hope you get a chance to hunt more of the tearout soon.

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Way to reach in there and save em.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save, congratulations! :occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, at least you saved something!

Street tearout can be a gamble. If the roadway was "professionally engineered" you likely wont find anything because the old surface was dug down so deep to build it back up. But then you hit the roads that were basically just cement poured over the dirt they scraped smooth, then you find goodies everywhere.

Gotta check them all, you never know!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congrats, at least you saved something!

Street tearout can be a gamble. If the roadway was "professionally engineered" you likely wont find anything because the old surface was dug down so deep to build it back up. But then you hit the roads that were basically just cement poured over the dirt they scraped smooth, then you find goodies everywhere.

Gotta check them all, you never know!

Excellent post Jason. I work in asphalt laying related business (street sweeper business), and Yes: Roads tearouts rarely go down below the DG compaction layer of yesteryear. And to the un-trained eye, what a person sees may *look* like dirt. When it's actually just yesteryear fill-dirt for the compaction/prep. of the AC. And EVEN WHEN THEY to truly dig down to native terra firma, it's still hit & miss. Because in old-town districts of yesteryear, in the era of dirt-streets: They would often fill the ruts with cobble and rock to keep the streets level.

This is why SIDEWALK demolition tearouts are always much better. Because since they are engineered/designed to only carry pedestrian weight, they were often laid right on the virgin dirt or right over the top of yesteryear wooden sidewalks. With little to no prep. In more recent years, that has given way to sand layer and /or rebar /mesh preparation. But some older walks were done with much less prep. And add to all this: Go figure that the sidewalks were where people were entering and exiting stores, saloons, etc....

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I always carried my metal detector in my truck with a hard hat and an orange vest. There are some great finds to be had under old sidewalks. Another reason I always told newbies that there is always somewhere to hunt.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup , my machine is always in my truck just in case, I saw the street tear out side walks were first to go . I pass by today and saw all the fill dirt is be remove exposing old dirt.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent button

Top Member Reactions