FINALLY! My first Spanish silver cob from a beach hunt

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a day off from work and went to several beaches to enjoy a day of detecting. I was encouraged when the very first target I hit was a beautiful tungsten carbide ring (see pics below), but the hunt quickly went dead after that. I spent about four hours detecting and found a lot of the usual - plenty of clad, pull tabs, and pieces of aluminum cans.

Tungsten Ring

Tungsten Carbide Ring.jpg

After the first beach I hit went dead, I moved to another. My third target (following a matchbox car and a quarter) was definitely one of my beach bucket-listers - a Spanish silver cob coin!!! I cleaned it up a bit using methods learned from another Tnet user and was very happy with the result.

Now I need some help from you Spanish coin experts - what is the age range of this coin and where was it minted? Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Cob Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
Cob Obverse Cleaned.jpg
Cob Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
Cob Reverse Cleaned.jpg

Upvote 45

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Spanish Silver. Great find

I took a day off from work and went to several beaches to enjoy a day of detecting. I was encouraged when the very first target I hit was a beautiful tungsten carbide ring (see pics below), but the hunt quickly went dead after that. I spent about four hours detecting and found a lot of the usual - plenty of clad, pull tabs, and pieces of aluminum cans.

Tungsten Ring

View attachment 1546510

After the first beach I hit went dead, I moved to another. My third target (following a matchbox car and a quarter) was definitely one of my beach bucket-listers - a Spanish silver cob coin!!! I cleaned it up a bit using methods learned from another Tnet user and was very happy with the result.

Now I need some help from you Spanish coin experts - what is the age range of this coin and where was it minted? Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

View attachment 1546511
View attachment 1546512
View attachment 1546513
View attachment 1546514

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minted in Mexico from about 1690 to 1730. Has 3 fleur de leis of Valois supposed on the front of the shield, and looks like a 1715 fleet type coin.

Thank you very much for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread