FINALLY! My first Spanish silver cob from a beach hunt

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a day off from work and went to several beaches to enjoy a day of detecting. I was encouraged when the very first target I hit was a beautiful tungsten carbide ring (see pics below), but the hunt quickly went dead after that. I spent about four hours detecting and found a lot of the usual - plenty of clad, pull tabs, and pieces of aluminum cans.

Tungsten Ring

Tungsten Carbide Ring.jpg

After the first beach I hit went dead, I moved to another. My third target (following a matchbox car and a quarter) was definitely one of my beach bucket-listers - a Spanish silver cob coin!!! I cleaned it up a bit using methods learned from another Tnet user and was very happy with the result.

Now I need some help from you Spanish coin experts - what is the age range of this coin and where was it minted? Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Cob Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
Cob Obverse Cleaned.jpg
Cob Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
Cob Reverse Cleaned.jpg

Upvote 45

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! Congrats on a killer cob- those are not easy to find. I get the feeling it may be a Philip IV based on what looks like a curved shield.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! how'd you clean it?

I used Buckleboy's methods for tarnished silver coins (originally posted in the Cleaning and Restoration forum in 2014). Here's a direct link to his post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html. I love this method because it actually converts tarnish into detailed silver, instead of just using harsh cleaners and brushes to remove the blackened tarnish, as well as coin detail.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is absolutely awesome!!!! I would have just died. Can’t help you anymore than to just be envious. Congratulations Tom!!!

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Congrats on a killer cob- those are not easy to find. I get the feeling it may be a Philip IV based on what looks like a curved shield.

Thanks! I have NO idea where to begin with these types of coins.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I have NO idea where to begin with these types of coins.

There’s a few really sharp guys on this forum. I’m sure they’ll find you. Good luck with an ID but I’m almost certain it’s a 17th century type

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Tom......good job on the beautiful tungsten carbide ring and the Spanish silver cob.....I found mine in a Florida city park, (my avatar picture)....and here are some better shots of it, Mine is a 1/2 real cob:

1668-1697 half real.JPG 1668-1697 half real mexico city mint.JPG

I believe it to be a 1/2 real cob based on its weight......it is undated..... and believed to be a Carlos II 1/2 R, minted between 1668 and 1697. Mexico City mint..... I found it in a city park in Florida, near an old Spanish Mission Fort. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Tom......good job on the beautiful tungsten carbide ring and the Spanish silver cob.....I found mine in a Florida city park, (my avatar picture)....and here are some better shots View attachment 1546539 of it: View attachment 1546536 Mine is a 1/2 real cob.

Sweet! Did you look around to see if someone was playing a joke on you like I did? (I've found one fake one before! I was clued in to the fact it was a copy by the use of the word "copy" on it! :unhappysmiley:)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post thanks amazing find

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom, my daughter is retired now, but was an Archaeologist for the state of Florida for over 20 years.....and guess what they have 2 more of them, found on the Spanish Mission site, just like the one I found about a quarter of a mile from the Spanish Mission in a city park close by.....and YES it is real.....Thanks.

Bill from Florida

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom, my daughter is retired now, but was an Archaeologist for the state of Florida for over 20 years.....and guess what they have 2 more of them, found on the Spanish Mission site, just like the one I found about a quarter of a mile from the Spanish Mission in a city park close by.....and YES it is real.....Thanks.

Oh no doubt yours is real! I was just making a joke about my disbelief in finding a real one myself. ��

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9503F4E7-2677-4FAF-B57A-32EF317C005D.png

Congratulations on an amazing find. May you find many more.

Cheers
E80D6374-487E-429A-A953-C72DD7DF497D.jpeg

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your sweet bucket list cob. She's beautiful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread