Greanade!

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some time to detect between classes on my busy teaching schedule. I went to a very small park and scored this little 1958 aluminum five dong coin and a shell with no clear headstamp amid a sea of vietnamese old and young. Nobody seemed to mind me cutting and replacing holes in the park and every junk target was immediately asked for and promptly thrown on the ground. Needless to say i picked them right back up.
The next day i went to the big hill where i know of a few military bunkers in a heavily forested area with trenches still cut into the earth and are clearly visable. There are two stone bunkers with places to shoot from on three sides facing away from the mountain. One still has a mounting for a machine gun. There are little corner hallways to enter with peepholes to stick a gun through in case of intruders. The other bunker has a very large steep staricase leading to a huge underground space. There is an antichamber in this cavernous space and inside there are four large cement tables. I assume this was a hospital of some sort. These buildings are very clean and i feel nobody really dares to go inside them. Locals are very afraid of offending the spirits they believe dwell there. There are little shrines i do not touch with burnt incense and shots of rice wine still set up. Well i started to detect in the trenches and i was digging everything because i military stuff is usually steal. I get alot of glitchy midtones which is obvious garbage. So i get this huge 20's signal right in a trench and pulled out this grenade. I was pumped. Its not the gun or bayonet i was after but its in great shape. Three quarters hole and i have a feeling the last person to touch i was the person who threw it. It was deep under rocks and rubble. I also got tons of unidentifiable bits of what seems to be schrapnel, two lengths of very old barbed wire and a section of stove pipe i dug very carefully because i thought it was maybe a land mine. I would have thought that they would be using some sort of material other than steel for grenades by the 70's. My knowledge of grenades is very limited. Could this be older than i think? Its happened to me before here.

Attachments

• 20180207_085941.jpg
    20180207_085941.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 18
OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a lot of my time near Nha Trang. I always thought the beaches were really nice and predicted that someday it would be a tourist destination. Vung Tau was one place where you could have in country R&R that a lot of us went to when we were allowed to have in R&R. That could be a place to metal detect.

Yes nha trang is a good spot. One of the more hit up spots in vietnam. All that russian tourist gold on a sandy beach that changes quite a bit. Euro coins, silver and gold. I actually had my bike stolen there once and managed to steal it back the next day.
Vung tau is interesting. Never heard of it but will do some quick research and actually head the long haul south. I have been thinkibg about nha trang alot really. Today is the kickoff for tet and they gave us our measly pay and twelve days off so its time to explore some new possabilities. Happy new years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread