Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Greanade!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Dec 2017
    NFA
    Garret ace 400i
    135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Greanade!

I found some time to detect between classes on my busy teaching schedule. I went to a very small park and scored this little 1958 aluminum five dong coin and a shell with no clear headstamp amid a sea of vietnamese old and young. Nobody seemed to mind me cutting and replacing holes in the park and every junk target was immediately asked for and promptly thrown on the ground. Needless to say i picked them right back up.
    The next day i went to the big hill where i know of a few military bunkers in a heavily forested area with trenches still cut into the earth and are clearly visable. There are two stone bunkers with places to shoot from on three sides facing away from the mountain. One still has a mounting for a machine gun. There are little corner hallways to enter with peepholes to stick a gun through in case of intruders. The other bunker has a very large steep staricase leading to a huge underground space. There is an antichamber in this cavernous space and inside there are four large cement tables. I assume this was a hospital of some sort. These buildings are very clean and i feel nobody really dares to go inside them. Locals are very afraid of offending the spirits they believe dwell there. There are little shrines i do not touch with burnt incense and shots of rice wine still set up. Well i started to detect in the trenches and i was digging everything because i military stuff is usually steal. I get alot of glitchy midtones which is obvious garbage. So i get this huge 20's signal right in a trench and pulled out this grenade. I was pumped. Its not the gun or bayonet i was after but its in great shape. Three quarters hole and i have a feeling the last person to touch i was the person who threw it. It was deep under rocks and rubble. I also got tons of unidentifiable bits of what seems to be schrapnel, two lengths of very old barbed wire and a section of stove pipe i dug very carefully because i thought it was maybe a land mine. I would have thought that they would be using some sort of material other than steel for grenades by the 70's. My knowledge of grenades is very limited. Could this be older than i think? Its happened to me before here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180207_085941.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	755.2 KB 
ID:	1547184  

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3215 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6BE8977-B909-4B7A-B501-6C9C01AF8E5A.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	1547205

Sweet find!
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2669 times
    Very very cool! I have found lots of UXO's but none like that.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17707 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sounds like you're really having an adventure.
    Congrats on your finds.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    2130 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    That’s a cool find.
    To Dig or not to Dig

jacdec1968

Feb 2014
    Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction, Az in the winter
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer, Lesch digger
    3054 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Are you an American living in Viet Nam or are you on a vacation there?

ca
    Dec 2017
    NFA
    Garret ace 400i
    135 times
    I am a canadian working in vietnam. I got a TEFL certificate to make traveling through the winter easier and more profitable. When i show up in a country i get a free visa, bike, place to stay and sometimes food. I cannot stand the bull i go through in vietnam and would not recomend getting work here, but i am making the most of it.

ca
    Dec 2017
    NFA
    Garret ace 400i
    135 times
    Yes i am having an adventure here atw.......what does the acronym UXO stand for ammoman?

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19496 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus View Post
    Yes i am having an adventure here atw.......what does the acronym UXO stand for ammoman?
    Grenades - cat-uxo.com
    Thaddeus likes this.

jp
    Sep 2008
    195 times
    Kudos to Thad's awesome adventure. Vietnamese cuisine is tops.
    Do you ever lay awake at night thinking about live ordinances?
    doc-d, Thaddeus and Joe-Dirt like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    14248 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice relic!
    Thaddeus likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus View Post
    Un eXploded Ordinance
    Thaddeus likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

What you have there is the bottom/side fragment of a russian F1 hand grenade. Introduced in WWII and
    produced a couple decades for the Warsaw Pact states and is still in use in many states of the third world. Body is made of cast iron as their Pineapple opponent. Interesting find as it's not usual to break in big parts rather than breaking at the cast in break points. Congrats and stay safe out there!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_(Handgranate)
    Last edited by Westfront; Feb 07, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
    rickb2202, Thaddeus and Yak1366 like this.

ca
    Dec 2017
    NFA
    Garret ace 400i
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Westfront View Post
    What you have there is the bottom/side fragment of a russian F1 hand grenade. Introduced in WWII and
    produced a couple decades for the Warsaw Pact states and is still in use in many states of the third world. Body is made of cast iron as their Pineapple opponent. Interesting find as it's not usual to break in big parts rather than breaking at the cast in break points. Congrats and stay safe out there!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_(Handgranate)
    Right on! second confirmed ww2 find.......i knew it was one of two......thought it seemed older than the vietnam war. It is such a heavy iron object i had a gut feeling it was ww2. Thanks for the confirmation. I have little time to do research right now but i do have just enough time to share with all the experts on tnet. I can not get over the fact that there are trenches still dug here.
    rickb2202 likes this.

ca
    Dec 2017
    NFA
    Garret ace 400i
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Un eXploded Ordinance
    Uxo.....got it....thankyou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads