Greanade!

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some time to detect between classes on my busy teaching schedule. I went to a very small park and scored this little 1958 aluminum five dong coin and a shell with no clear headstamp amid a sea of vietnamese old and young. Nobody seemed to mind me cutting and replacing holes in the park and every junk target was immediately asked for and promptly thrown on the ground. Needless to say i picked them right back up.
The next day i went to the big hill where i know of a few military bunkers in a heavily forested area with trenches still cut into the earth and are clearly visable. There are two stone bunkers with places to shoot from on three sides facing away from the mountain. One still has a mounting for a machine gun. There are little corner hallways to enter with peepholes to stick a gun through in case of intruders. The other bunker has a very large steep staricase leading to a huge underground space. There is an antichamber in this cavernous space and inside there are four large cement tables. I assume this was a hospital of some sort. These buildings are very clean and i feel nobody really dares to go inside them. Locals are very afraid of offending the spirits they believe dwell there. There are little shrines i do not touch with burnt incense and shots of rice wine still set up. Well i started to detect in the trenches and i was digging everything because i military stuff is usually steal. I get alot of glitchy midtones which is obvious garbage. So i get this huge 20's signal right in a trench and pulled out this grenade. I was pumped. Its not the gun or bayonet i was after but its in great shape. Three quarters hole and i have a feeling the last person to touch i was the person who threw it. It was deep under rocks and rubble. I also got tons of unidentifiable bits of what seems to be schrapnel, two lengths of very old barbed wire and a section of stove pipe i dug very carefully because i thought it was maybe a land mine. I would have thought that they would be using some sort of material other than steel for grenades by the 70's. My knowledge of grenades is very limited. Could this be older than i think? Its happened to me before here.

Attachments

• 20180207_085941.jpg
    20180207_085941.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 18

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F6BE8977-B909-4B7A-B501-6C9C01AF8E5A.png

Sweet find!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very cool! I have found lots of UXO's but none like that.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a cool find.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you an American living in Viet Nam or are you on a vacation there?

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a canadian working in vietnam. I got a TEFL certificate to make traveling through the winter easier and more profitable. When i show up in a country i get a free visa, bike, place to stay and sometimes food. I cannot stand the bull i go through in vietnam and would not recomend getting work here, but i am making the most of it.

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i am having an adventure here atw.......what does the acronym UXO stand for ammoman?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Kudos to Thad's awesome adventure. Vietnamese cuisine is tops.
Do you ever lay awake at night thinking about live ordinances?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is the bottom/side fragment of a russian F1 hand grenade. Introduced in WWII and
produced a couple decades for the Warsaw Pact states and is still in use in many states of the third world. Body is made of cast iron as their Pineapple opponent. Interesting find as it's not usual to break in big parts rather than breaking at the cast in break points. Congrats and stay safe out there!

31760608np.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_(Handgranate)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is the bottom/side fragment of a russian F1 hand grenade. Introduced in WWII and
produced a couple decades for the Warsaw Pact states and is still in use in many states of the third world. Body is made of cast iron as their Pineapple opponent. Interesting find as it's not usual to break in big parts rather than breaking at the cast in break points. Congrats and stay safe out there!

31760608np.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_(Handgranate)

Right on! second confirmed ww2 find.......i knew it was one of two......thought it seemed older than the vietnam war. It is such a heavy iron object i had a gut feeling it was ww2. Thanks for the confirmation. I have little time to do research right now but i do have just enough time to share with all the experts on tnet. I can not get over the fact that there are trenches still dug here.

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops maybe i spoke too soon.....after reading the link i realized it was us3d in vietnam and after re-reading your post i realized that it could be from any decade. I know that the bunkers are vietnam era. But i have flund a 1944 shell nearby. Maybe the north vietnamese were using old gear or maybe they fought many different battles over decades on the same hill. I do know its a russian f1 thanks to you though westfront.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a canadian working in vietnam. I got a TEFL certificate to make traveling through the winter easier and more profitable. When i show up in a country i get a free visa, bike, place to stay and sometimes food. I cannot stand the bull i go through in vietnam and would not recomend getting work here, but i am making the most of it.

Sounds like you have a perfect job seeing the world and having it paid for. Are you allowed to say what area you are in? I was there in 67-68 compliments of Uncle Sam.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Russian pineapple a Vietnamese vegitable, a Loas lollipop. that is really cool!!!!

OP
OP
Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a perfect job seeing the world and having it paid for. Are you allowed to say what area you are in? I was there in 67-68 compliments of Uncle Sam.

Yes of course i am allowed......i am in hai phong, its about 75 kilometers away from hanoio towards the coast down the red river. I am 40 kilometers from do san beach. Hai phong is the third most populous city in vietnam after ho chi minh and hanoi. The job is allright in every aspect except for the bureacracy and bulloni. But my plan to travel the world for profit is working out. Surprisingly small profits but still working. I spend alot of time imagining what that must have been like to come here at that time. Alot of great aspects and alot of terrible ones as well. Johncoho if you remember any sort of spot for detecting or even have any vietnamese theory based on an experience there please let me know. I need a real veterans opinion. I travel ALOT and am not afraid of driving my crappy little scooter a thousand miles to check out some location of a battle or a destroyed temple that you may remember vague directions to. I ask you this sir, where were you stationed in vietnam.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes of course i am allowed......i am in hai phong, its about 75 kilometers away from hanoio towards the coast down the red river. I am 40 kilometers from do san beach. Hai phong is the third most populous city in vietnam after ho chi minh and hanoi. The job is allright in every aspect except for the bureacracy and bulloni. But my plan to travel the world for profit is working out. Surprisingly small profits but still working. I spend alot of time imagining what that must have been like to come here at that time. Alot of great aspects and alot of terrible ones as well. Johncoho if you remember any sort of spot for detecting or even have any vietnamese theory based on an experience there please let me know. I need a real veterans opinion. I travel ALOT and am not afraid of driving my crappy little scooter a thousand miles to check out some location of a battle or a destroyed temple that you may remember vague directions to. I ask you this sir, where were you stationed in vietnam.

I spent a lot of my time near Nha Trang. I always thought the beaches were really nice and predicted that someday it would be a tourist destination. Vung Tau was one place where you could have in country R&R that a lot of us went to when we were allowed to have in R&R. That could be a place to metal detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread