Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pittsburgh police two piece button, silver dime day.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2519 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Pittsburgh police two piece button, silver dime day.

I didn't think I would get out today (or this weekend for that matter) but I'm glad I did. Any silver coin to me is worth the work! Took my Tejon out with the 5.75 coil.

I found an old 2 piece Pittsburgh police button along with a 1960 rosie and a nice green suspender clip. Also dug some kind of broach type thingy doo. Doesn't matter where I hunt it seems like I dig at least one miner tag and a suspender clip, Lol. I looked up when pitt. Police was founded. It says 1847. Would be interesting to be able to date the button.

GL, HTH everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_174925.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	1548820
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_174811.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	1548821
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_174824.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	1548822

us
    Sep 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Garrett AT Pro - NEL Sharpshooter & Thunder DD
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    I thought about going out today for a hunt but I just scouted instead. Shooting for tmrw if there's a break in the rain.

Cool police button, I'm also curious if someone can date it. I didn't know they were called miners tags but I find them a lot too!

us
    Sep 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Minelab CTX 3030, Whites DFX
    3994 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice stuff!
    HighVDI likes this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    1932 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very nice button find
    HighVDI likes this.
    To Dig or not to Dig

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Headz View Post
    I thought about going out today for a hunt but I just scouted instead. Shooting for tmrw if there's a break in the rain.

Cool police button, I'm also curious if someone can date it. I didn't know they were called miners tags but I find them a lot too!
    Looks like a possible narrow......maybe 2 hour window for you tomorrow AM. I'm sure that will change by then. Lol

us
    Sep 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Garrett AT Pro - NEL Sharpshooter & Thunder DD
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Looks like a possible narrow......maybe 2 hour window for you tomorrow AM. I'm sure that will change by then. Lol
    Haha I'm gonna wake up in the 6 o"clock hour and check the weather. The hourly forecast seems to be wrong more than it is right on most days. The slushy snow covered ground held me back today. I'm scared about slipping, falling and breaking my machine. Snow clings to my coil too which is annoying.
    HighVDI likes this.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    4954 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Nice digs John. What does the back mark on that button? I might be able to date if it's in my button back mark book.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 18
    Half Reals = 29
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil
    4163 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice button! And of course another silver! Those tags sure sound nice on my machine. Congrats!

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nice digs John. What does the back mark on that button? I might be able to date if it's in my button back mark book.
    Thanks Steve. I will clean it up some in the AM and snap a better pic. That would be sweet to get some info on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    Nice button! And of course another silver! Those tags sure sound nice on my machine. Congrats!
    Thanks. I've dug those babies up at 10" deep on a few occasions! I noticed some ring up higher than others. They usually get the blood pumping when the green rim shows through......then you see the hole. Ugh. Did you guys get out today?

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil
    4163 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Thanks Steve. I will clean it up some in the AM and snap a better pic. That would be sweet to get some info on it.

Thanks. I've dug those babies up at 10" deep on a few occasions! I noticed some ring up higher than others. They usually get the blood pumping when the green rim shows through......then you see the hole. Ugh. Did you guys get out today?
    I got out for an hour before dark today at a site near my home. Have 4 dots to explore tomorrow, fingers crossed that at least 1 pans out and the weather cooperates.
    HighVDI likes this.

Congrats on some nice relics and the silver. I'm not going anywhere with 15 inches of snow on the ground !

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    Congrats on some nice relics and the silver. I'm not going anywhere with 15 inches of snow on the ground !
    Holy moly! Sorry to hear that. Probably going through withdrawals.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    12592 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congratualtions on the nice relics!

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    205 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Metal Headz, Seems you're having some good luck. The police button is surly apt to be rare as how many of them are there to even lose a button as I'm optimistically thinking? Was this one of the sites you and I discussed? I'm still waiting for a warmer dry day to test out my machine thoroughly.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    Metal Headz, Seems you're having some good luck. The police button is surly apt to be rare as how many of them are there to even lose a button as I'm optimistically thinking? Was this one of the sites you and I discussed? I'm still waiting for a warmer dry day to test out my machine thoroughly.
    That was me that dug these finds. I agree. Has to be somewhat rare. Steve was going to help identify it by the back mark but the crud on the back is like super glue and I don't want to damage it by getting too aggressive on the cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links