Pittsburgh police two piece button, silver dime day.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't think I would get out today (or this weekend for that matter) but I'm glad I did. Any silver coin to me is worth the work! Took my Tejon out with the 5.75 coil.

I found an old 2 piece Pittsburgh police button along with a 1960 rosie and a nice green suspender clip. Also dug some kind of broach type thingy doo. Doesn't matter where I hunt it seems like I dig at least one miner tag and a suspender clip, Lol. I looked up when pitt. Police was founded. It says 1847. Would be interesting to be able to date the button.

GL, HTH everyone! 20180210_174925.jpg
20180210_174811.jpg
20180210_174824.jpg

Upvote 16

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about going out today for a hunt but I just scouted instead. Shooting for tmrw if there's a break in the rain.

Cool police button, I'm also curious if someone can date it. I didn't know they were called miners tags but I find them a lot too!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button find

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about going out today for a hunt but I just scouted instead. Shooting for tmrw if there's a break in the rain.

Cool police button, I'm also curious if someone can date it. I didn't know they were called miners tags but I find them a lot too!

Looks like a possible narrow......maybe 2 hour window for you tomorrow AM. I'm sure that will change by then. Lol

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a possible narrow......maybe 2 hour window for you tomorrow AM. I'm sure that will change by then. Lol

Haha I'm gonna wake up in the 6 o"clock hour and check the weather. The hourly forecast seems to be wrong more than it is right on most days. The slushy snow covered ground held me back today. I'm scared about slipping, falling and breaking my machine. Snow clings to my coil too which is annoying.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs John. What does the back mark on that button? I might be able to date if it's in my button back mark book.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button! And of course another silver! Those tags sure sound nice on my machine. Congrats!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs John. What does the back mark on that button? I might be able to date if it's in my button back mark book.

Thanks Steve. I will clean it up some in the AM and snap a better pic. That would be sweet to get some info on it.
Nice button! And of course another silver! Those tags sure sound nice on my machine. Congrats!

Thanks. I've dug those babies up at 10" deep on a few occasions! I noticed some ring up higher than others. They usually get the blood pumping when the green rim shows through......then you see the hole. Ugh. Did you guys get out today?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Steve. I will clean it up some in the AM and snap a better pic. That would be sweet to get some info on it.

Thanks. I've dug those babies up at 10" deep on a few occasions! I noticed some ring up higher than others. They usually get the blood pumping when the green rim shows through......then you see the hole. Ugh. Did you guys get out today?

I got out for an hour before dark today at a site near my home. Have 4 dots to explore tomorrow, fingers crossed that at least 1 pans out and the weather cooperates.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice relics and the silver. I'm not going anywhere with 15 inches of snow on the ground !

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice relics and the silver. I'm not going anywhere with 15 inches of snow on the ground !

Holy moly! Sorry to hear that. Probably going through withdrawals.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relics! :occasion14:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal Headz, Seems you're having some good luck. The police button is surly apt to be rare as how many of them are there to even lose a button as I'm optimistically thinking? Was this one of the sites you and I discussed? I'm still waiting for a warmer dry day to test out my machine thoroughly.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Headz, Seems you're having some good luck. The police button is surly apt to be rare as how many of them are there to even lose a button as I'm optimistically thinking? Was this one of the sites you and I discussed? I'm still waiting for a warmer dry day to test out my machine thoroughly.

That was me that dug these finds. I agree. Has to be somewhat rare. Steve was going to help identify it by the back mark but the crud on the back is like super glue and I don't want to damage it by getting too aggressive on the cleaning.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Oops. Sorry HighVDI. Excuse my ministroke or whatever it may have been. At least I need to brush up on paying more attention to what I've read. Were the items found in Pittsburgh or outside of the city?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oops. Sorry HighVDI. Excuse my ministroke or whatever it may have been. At least I need to brush up on paying more attention to what I've read. Were the items found in Pittsburgh or outside of the city?

20 minutes South of Pittsburgh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions