watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 years ago, I was detecting a permission property where a turn-of-the-century home once stood. I had researched this home’s exact footprint location on the property so I had a good idea where the lawn areas were back in the day. I had detected this property a half-dozen times before but, I guess no place is ever hunted out.

Even though the yard areas were heavily trashed, I decided to dig more of the “iffy” targets. The highlight of this hunt was a 14K wedding band that was inscribed on the inside. . . “Alice to Eldrich July 7, 1937”. When I read the inscription on the inside of this ring, I immediately knew what my mission was. A year or two later I met an elderly lady that lived in the same neighborhood that was “in the know” of who had lived in the neighborhood during that era. I told her about the ring I found and as I read the inscription on the inside of the ring to her, she knew immediately who it belonged to. She told me that Alice & Eldrich had passed away a number of years ago but their daughter was still alive and she would be delighted to put me in contact with her. When I called her and told her about the ring I had found, she was in disbelief, she remembered her father losing it while gardening in the back yard when she was a kid. It wasn’t until this summer I was finally able to meet her in person and return her father’s ring. My mission was complete.

Thanks for looking & happy hunting!

Eldrich 1937.jpg

Eldrich's daughter & ring.jpg

Upvote 76

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3 years ago, I was detecting a permission property where a turn-of-the-century home once stood. I had researched this home’s exact footprint location on the property so I had a good idea where the lawn areas were back in the day. I had detected this property a half-dozen times before but, I guess no place is ever hunted out.

Even though the yard areas were heavily trashed, I decided to dig more of the “iffy” targets. The highlight of this hunt was a 14K wedding band that was inscribed on the inside. . . “Alice to Eldrich July 7, 1937”. When I read the inscription on the inside of this ring, I immediately knew what my mission was. A year or two later I met an elderly lady that lived in the same neighborhood that was “in the know” of who had lived in the neighborhood during that era. I told her about the ring I found and as I read the inscription on the inside of the ring to her, she knew immediately who it belonged to. She told me that Alice & Eldrich had passed away a number of years ago but their daughter was still alive and she would be delighted to put me in contact with her. When I called her and told her about the ring I had found, she was in disbelief, she remembered her father losing it while gardening in the back yard when she was a kid. It wasn’t until this summer I was finally able to meet her in person and return her father’s ring. My mission was complete.

Thanks for looking & happy hunting!

View attachment 1549981

View attachment 1549982
Great work and amazing story thanks for sharing and doing the right thing good for you

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing and well done!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
honorable mention for sure! congrats on the awesome job and return!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job!!! 🙌🙌🙌 H.M., yeah!

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you may have just opened the door to several more permissions for several more people with your good deed.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful story and an even better ending! Honorable Mention Slam Dunk!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done!
HH
dts

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to find the daughter and a honorable mention vote from me

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding story, (and finds). I like the Illinois Motor Bicycle plate also. Honorable Mention from me.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that must be the oldest return of a ring..... I returned a class ring after 40 years to the owner, but, 80 years is amazing.... the family is sooo, happy !!

Rings are hard to find and everyone wants to keep them for their collection, but, returning a ring, is great Karma and such a Great feeling !! Good for you !!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a hero!
huzzah.jpg

Sub:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread