Cold day at an old Cavalry site yields an old piece of GOLD!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for some much needed time away from civilization. After a long weekend of work my hunting buddy and I set out. Of course it didn't matter to me where we went so we went to an area where some nice finds have come from in the past. Old seated dimes and lots of cavalry buttons and such. The fort sits along one of our many wagon trails we didn't really expect much except maybe a button or two since we have hit this place hard. With our new DEUS settings we managed lots of Henry Casings, bullets, one OX shoe and the normal garbage of an old stage stop.

After 3 hours, cold wind and nothing to show for our effort; we decided to start walking back to the rig and go to another spot......"walk back to the rig?" How many times has this happened to us. My buddy was walking on one side of the old rock corral area and I the other which was next to the old wagon road. I thought, well, if parked a wagon and jumped off, where would I land? Both of us use the Deus and shotgun shells in the area hit most of the time around 72-78. Of course digging "EVERYTHING", I get the nice lower tone 71. I take out a round dirt clump and begin smashing it over my coil thinking for sure it was a shotgun shell :BangHead:. Except the clump was getting smaller and small until the flash of gold fell onto my coil. I throw off the headphones and yell at my friend "GOLD". I hadn't looked to see what it was till he made it over.

After some foul language and laughing, along with a little water we see it. A beautiful 1865-S 2 1/2 Dollar piece :hello2:. We were both amazed but not surprised since this was the second gold coin from the fort area. For sure we have walked over it before, not wanting to dig shells. But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off. A few feet away I was able to find my target for the day, a single cavalry button with no markings on the back.........

Of course I called my son who is at college and he refused to believe me until we sent a couple of pictures. He called me a few names and told my buddy to hit me over the head! :laughing7: He will be back this weekend since we have a Nevada trip planned for more digging:icon_thumleft:

Its been awhile we haven't posted but I haven't wanted to bore everyone with the 100's of wheat pennies we have dug over the past few months so today was great. Thanks for looking and remember; DIG EVERYTHING!!!!!

Attachments

• LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 316
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 288
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • BF4.jpg
    BF4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 325
  • BF5.jpg
    BF5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262
  • BF6.jpg
    BF6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 295
Upvote 87

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Great play by play. Great pix. Love the "in-situ" shot. Thanx !

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW that is awesome.
I wonder what that would have purchased back then?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That well written post, those pics and that rare and beautiful gold coin is the exact criteria for a banner placement! If it doesn't reach the top I will eat my hat! BANNER!!!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds great coin great condition too banner :notworthy:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow basque-man that is awesome, you dug 2 once in a liftime finds. Huge congrats on the great post and stellar find. My Banner vote is going in.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a most excellent find :thumbsup:
To the Banner! Dilly Dilly!!

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably around $700. Even though she looks great, it has been in the ground for a bit. With around only 24k minted, ya think it was worth some $$$$. That's ok though. We don't get rid of anything!!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'' But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off.''

This is what I've been talking about on another post. Its so important on a good site to clear every signal no matter how bad, it takes years but its a must if you want to be sure.

CONGRATS on a nice looker.

It has been your post and others that have really made me question "why not" dig it all. We run the hot program and we had been paying too much attention to the graph screen. I replaced the graph with just numbers a few months back. Now I will at times even leave the controller in my pocket and just concentrate on the sounds when were are in an area without a lot of "new" trash. I must say it has made all the difference in the world. More rings, jewelry and finds that were deeper. I am amazed at the amount of deeper targets we have found. Just because it beeps one way and not the other doesn't mean don't dig.

This would NOT HAVE BEEN found if it wasn't for everyone here sharing their knowledge and tips! Thank you all!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow basque-man that is awesome, you dug 2 once in a liftime finds. Huge congrats on the great post and stellar find. My Banner vote is going in.

Thank again Loco.......been tough lately. New job over the past 6 months; fighting to get my old one back and with my son gone at school, it has been rough! :sadsmiley:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic Find of the Gold piece. 1865, a War period coin too. Very Well Done and Continued Success to you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It should also be noted that here is another example of a West Coast gold coin. We don't have large cents, Colonial coppers, and bust coins jumping out of every sandbox like the East Coast guys do. but our consolation is that we can get gold coins over here. Haha

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding sir! :notworthy:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been your post and others that have really made me question "why not" dig it all. We run the hot program and we had been paying too much attention to the graph screen. I replaced the graph with just numbers a few months back. Now I will at times even leave the controller in my pocket and just concentrate on the sounds when were are in an area without a lot of "new" trash. I must say it has made all the difference in the world. More rings, jewelry and finds that were deeper. I am amazed at the amount of deeper targets we have found. Just because it beeps one way and not the other doesn't mean don't dig.

This would NOT HAVE BEEN found if it wasn't for everyone here sharing their knowledge and tips! Thank you all!! :notworthy:

"Just because it beeps one way and not the other doesn't mean don't dig."

Wow, I've never thought to dig a signal that just beeps one way...gonna have to try it. Approximately how deep are these "one beep" signals??:thumbsup:

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you your post inspires me to soldier on and hopefully one day i also will see the flash of gold in the dirt :)

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should also be noted that here is another example of a West Coast gold coin. We don't have large cents, Colonial coppers, and bust coins jumping out of every sandbox like the East Coast guys do. but our consolation is that we can get gold coins over here. Haha

Your are so correct sir!!!!! Between the 5 of us up here who hit it hard, we have only 1 1822 large cent to show. Lots of nice Spanish though! I do miss going to the wife's family places in New Jersey and Delaware though! Sure miss finding the old "older" stuff! But I sure won't complain about the gold coins we have found out our way! :laughing7:

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
TREASURE! Congratulations on keeping at it and....SCORE! Banner find for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread