Cold day at an old Cavalry site yields an old piece of GOLD!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for some much needed time away from civilization. After a long weekend of work my hunting buddy and I set out. Of course it didn't matter to me where we went so we went to an area where some nice finds have come from in the past. Old seated dimes and lots of cavalry buttons and such. The fort sits along one of our many wagon trails we didn't really expect much except maybe a button or two since we have hit this place hard. With our new DEUS settings we managed lots of Henry Casings, bullets, one OX shoe and the normal garbage of an old stage stop.

After 3 hours, cold wind and nothing to show for our effort; we decided to start walking back to the rig and go to another spot......"walk back to the rig?" How many times has this happened to us. My buddy was walking on one side of the old rock corral area and I the other which was next to the old wagon road. I thought, well, if parked a wagon and jumped off, where would I land? Both of us use the Deus and shotgun shells in the area hit most of the time around 72-78. Of course digging "EVERYTHING", I get the nice lower tone 71. I take out a round dirt clump and begin smashing it over my coil thinking for sure it was a shotgun shell :BangHead:. Except the clump was getting smaller and small until the flash of gold fell onto my coil. I throw off the headphones and yell at my friend "GOLD". I hadn't looked to see what it was till he made it over.

After some foul language and laughing, along with a little water we see it. A beautiful 1865-S 2 1/2 Dollar piece :hello2:. We were both amazed but not surprised since this was the second gold coin from the fort area. For sure we have walked over it before, not wanting to dig shells. But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off. A few feet away I was able to find my target for the day, a single cavalry button with no markings on the back.........

Of course I called my son who is at college and he refused to believe me until we sent a couple of pictures. He called me a few names and told my buddy to hit me over the head! :laughing7: He will be back this weekend since we have a Nevada trip planned for more digging:icon_thumleft:

Its been awhile we haven't posted but I haven't wanted to bore everyone with the 100's of wheat pennies we have dug over the past few months so today was great. Thanks for looking and remember; DIG EVERYTHING!!!!!

Attachments

• LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 314
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 287
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • BF4.jpg
    BF4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 324
  • BF5.jpg
    BF5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 261
  • BF6.jpg
    BF6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Upvote 87
OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just because it beeps one way and not the other doesn't mean don't dig."

Wow, I've never thought to dig a signal that just beeps one way...gonna have to try it. Approximately how deep are these "one beep" signals??:thumbsup:

Most of the one way signals for us have been smaller coins that are straight up and down in the ground. Not laying flat. They also have been anywhere between 6-10 inches deep using the larger coil. I have been using the small one the past summer but switched a few weeks ago because this darn DEUS just seems to like to have as much space available. I of course hear "everything" in the ground so all the rusted stuff even gets dug up when we hear that little squeak in the background. Gets tiresome but well worth it. Of course a few beers along the way and slowing down helps! :tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your golden prize, great post up. It would look great up top.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super gold find
Congrats

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the great find BM. Good to see you hunting and posting.

Very well done sir.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Congrats!

Got out today for some much needed time away from civilization. After a long weekend of work my hunting buddy and I set out. Of course it didn't matter to me where we went so we went to an area where some nice finds have come from in the past. Old seated dimes and lots of cavalry buttons and such. The fort sits along one of our many wagon trails we didn't really expect much except maybe a button or two since we have hit this place hard. With our new DEUS settings we managed lots of Henry Casings, bullets, one OX shoe and the normal garbage of an old stage stop.

After 3 hours, cold wind and nothing to show for our effort; we decided to start walking back to the rig and go to another spot......"walk back to the rig?" How many times has this happened to us. My buddy was walking on one side of the old rock corral area and I the other which was next to the old wagon road. I thought, well, if parked a wagon and jumped off, where would I land? Both of us use the Deus and shotgun shells in the area hit most of the time around 72-78. Of course digging "EVERYTHING", I get the nice lower tone 71. I take out a round dirt clump and begin smashing it over my coil thinking for sure it was a shotgun shell :BangHead:. Except the clump was getting smaller and small until the flash of gold fell onto my coil. I throw off the headphones and yell at my friend "GOLD". I hadn't looked to see what it was till he made it over.

After some foul language and laughing, along with a little water we see it. A beautiful 1865-S 2 1/2 Dollar piece :hello2:. We were both amazed but not surprised since this was the second gold coin from the fort area. For sure we have walked over it before, not wanting to dig shells. But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off. A few feet away I was able to find my target for the day, a single cavalry button with no markings on the back.........

Of course I called my son who is at college and he refused to believe me until we sent a couple of pictures. He called me a few names and told my buddy to hit me over the head! :laughing7: He will be back this weekend since we have a Nevada trip planned for more digging:icon_thumleft:

Its been awhile we haven't posted but I haven't wanted to bore everyone with the 100's of wheat pennies we have dug over the past few months so today was great. Thanks for looking and remember; DIG EVERYTHING!!!!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one stunning coin. Congrats on the GOLD!!!!

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!! That is an amazing find!! Keep them coming!! Banner vote all day long!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been your post and others that have really made me question "why not" dig it all. We run the hot program and we had been paying too much attention to the graph screen. I replaced the graph with just numbers a few months back. Now I will at times even leave the controller in my pocket and just concentrate on the sounds when were are in an area without a lot of "new" trash. I must say it has made all the difference in the world. More rings, jewelry and finds that were deeper. I am amazed at the amount of deeper targets we have found. Just because it beeps one way and not the other doesn't mean don't dig.

This would NOT HAVE BEEN found if it wasn't for everyone here sharing their knowledge and tips! Thank you all!! :notworthy:
Thanks.

I truly believe the best discriminator is our ears, not the machine. When you change your mindset & trust less in the electronics, the overall results improve.:thumbsup: Thanks for learning, many do not.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I copied this from the web! This was a few days pay for a private.

"Union privates were paid
$13 per month until after the final raise of 20 June '64, when they got $16. In the infantry and artillery, officer was as follows at the start of the war: colonels, $212; lieutenant colonels, $181; majors, $169; captains, $115.50; first lieutenants, $105.50; and second lieutenants, $105.50."

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally over the top !!!!!! Congrats. I'm taking your advice, dig them all!

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I copied this from the web! This was a few days pay for a private.

"Union privates were paid
$13 per month until after the final raise of 20 June '64, when they got $16. In the infantry and artillery, officer was as follows at the start of the war: colonels, $212; lieutenant colonels, $181; majors, $169; captains, $115.50; first lieutenants, $105.50; and second lieutenants, $105.50."

That is way cool. Thank you for sharing. It just so happens my buddy's father-in-law is an avid detector as well. About 8 years ago in the same area( 20 yards or so), he pulled out a great 1861-S $10 dollar piece. On the marker at this location, it was noted how much butter, milk and other items were at the post. I must say, things were VERY expensive back in those days. Perhaps this is why we have found no 5C's or IHP's. Seated Half, quarters and dimes though......

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
It should also be noted that here is another example of a West Coast gold coin. We don't have large cents, Colonial coppers, and bust coins jumping out of every sandbox like the East Coast guys do. but our consolation is that we can get gold coins over here. Haha

Ya darn Californians dig one out of every other hole! [emoji23]

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya darn Californians dig one out of every other hole! [emoji23]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I sure wish we did.

Thank you all for the great comments and be safe out there!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodness, that is a beautiful coin. Congrats and banner!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other