Cold day at an old Cavalry site yields an old piece of GOLD!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for some much needed time away from civilization. After a long weekend of work my hunting buddy and I set out. Of course it didn't matter to me where we went so we went to an area where some nice finds have come from in the past. Old seated dimes and lots of cavalry buttons and such. The fort sits along one of our many wagon trails we didn't really expect much except maybe a button or two since we have hit this place hard. With our new DEUS settings we managed lots of Henry Casings, bullets, one OX shoe and the normal garbage of an old stage stop.

After 3 hours, cold wind and nothing to show for our effort; we decided to start walking back to the rig and go to another spot......"walk back to the rig?" How many times has this happened to us. My buddy was walking on one side of the old rock corral area and I the other which was next to the old wagon road. I thought, well, if parked a wagon and jumped off, where would I land? Both of us use the Deus and shotgun shells in the area hit most of the time around 72-78. Of course digging "EVERYTHING", I get the nice lower tone 71. I take out a round dirt clump and begin smashing it over my coil thinking for sure it was a shotgun shell :BangHead:. Except the clump was getting smaller and small until the flash of gold fell onto my coil. I throw off the headphones and yell at my friend "GOLD". I hadn't looked to see what it was till he made it over.

After some foul language and laughing, along with a little water we see it. A beautiful 1865-S 2 1/2 Dollar piece :hello2:. We were both amazed but not surprised since this was the second gold coin from the fort area. For sure we have walked over it before, not wanting to dig shells. But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off. A few feet away I was able to find my target for the day, a single cavalry button with no markings on the back.........

Of course I called my son who is at college and he refused to believe me until we sent a couple of pictures. He called me a few names and told my buddy to hit me over the head! :laughing7: He will be back this weekend since we have a Nevada trip planned for more digging:icon_thumleft:

Its been awhile we haven't posted but I haven't wanted to bore everyone with the 100's of wheat pennies we have dug over the past few months so today was great. Thanks for looking and remember; DIG EVERYTHING!!!!!

Attachments

• LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 314
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 287
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • BF4.jpg
    BF4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 324
  • BF5.jpg
    BF5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 261
  • BF6.jpg
    BF6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Upvote 87

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

I truly believe the best discriminator is our ears, not the machine. When you change your mindset & trust less in the electronics, the overall results improve.:thumbsup: Thanks for learning, many do not.

...sometimes the ears just ain't what they used to be. I wear head phones with the volume all the way up and when I hear a beep, I look at the VDI. I know I'm missing some faint whispers, but that's the way it goes!:thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSS GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet coin. Congrats on a fantastic recovery.

Beige

Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this not on the banner??

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I would like to know. Why is this not up top as of yet?

Hey all; thanks for the all the likes, but I just like the fact of sharing our finds with all you here. I read most all of them and think a lot of post deserve to be on top but don't get there. I am thankful for all of you who share and post great comments as well as those who teach each and everyone of us something new everyday. I am no way an "expert" when it comes to metal detecting. A lot of the time its just "luck" we have swung our coil over that exact "half inch" at that very moment when you hit an awesome find!!! Without everyone here giving their tips and ideas, I would in no way have the luck I have had as has my son! I certainly can attest my son and I have more "skunk" hunts than great finds, that for sure. I there was a page on just "skunk hunts" we wouldn't have enough storage space!!! :laughing7:

Thank you all again and keep hunting.........cause there is some great stuff still out there!!!!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

I truly believe the best discriminator is our ears, not the machine. When you change your mindset & trust less in the electronics, the overall results improve.:thumbsup: Thanks for learning, many do not.

i agree with this 110%. I dig so many iffy or just unusual signals out of curiosity. Some are junk and yes, some are great finds. It’s important to stay curious and inquisitive. There’s always something to learn, and we learn by digging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread