In from the cold, with 2 hammered silver.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Today was the first day in a while with no rain forecast. The sky was blue, the sun was shinning, unfortunately the wind was painfully cold. Here's some pictures of the finds. Managed two hammered silver coins , an Edward I penny of the Newcastle mint, reverse reading VILL NOVI CAS TRI. The obverse legend looks a bit blundered though. A tiny cut quarter of Henry III, voided long cross type , also had a small lead medieval token. Did just under four hours, with the icy wind cutting through me. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9349.JPG
    IMG_9349.JPG
    993.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9348.JPG
    IMG_9348.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9351.JPG
    IMG_9351.JPG
    740 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9352.JPG
    IMG_9352.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9355.JPG
    IMG_9355.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9356.JPG
    IMG_9356.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 31

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do find Roman coins, posted plenty over the years. Medieval hammered silver coins, are much better to find though. That's where I put my efforts, I could go on a site tomorrow and knock up 20 Roman grots, but what's the point.:dontknow:

You don't like the occasional Roman Silver? :laughing7:

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boom goes the dynamite!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well done! But what do you do after you have a tray full of Medieval silvers?
The rare ones such as Saxon, hammered gold, early Norman and recently a very rare farthing of Henry VII, have all gone to auction, over the years . The very worn common ones, I sell on ebay. Having said that I have still got hundreds of hammered silver coins, that are too valuable, to sell for peanuts on ebay. These sadly reside in plastic finds bags, stored in boxes. Robert.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well done! But what do you do after you have a tray full of Medieval silvers?
Check the "My Colletions" section of the forum. Page 7, Title "Re claimed from the soil" July 24th 2008. That was my collection nearly ten years ago " Think were going to need a bigger table". Robert.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rare ones such as Saxon, hammered gold, early Norman and recently a very rare farthing of Henry VII, have all gone to auction, over the years . The very worn common ones, I sell on ebay. Having said that I have still got hundreds of hammered silver coins, that are too valuable, to sell for peanuts on ebay. These sadly reside in plastic finds bags, stored in boxes. Robert.

I feel you.. well I guess it is the feeling of adventure and the moment of discovery that always draws us back to the hobby!
I for my part take great pleasure in marveling through the collection from time to time, showing the collection to friends and family and hopefully some day a historically interested grandchild will inherit my collection.
Happy hunting!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice to get a Newcastle mint.:hello2:

Its not so much blundered as hard to read & the E is a little bad, & the W slashed;

EDWR ANGL DNS HYB

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s only gonna get warmer.
Nice finds

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn buddy! Really nice looking hammered. I always enjoy your posts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions