Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro Cibola has been feeling neglected lately, after all it's just a turn and go machine. One frequency, no ground balance, no bells, no whistles, but it has found two gold coins in it's career! Well, it coerced me into getting it out of the back of the truck and back into the swing. We all have had a few places we would like to think had relics in them, but for one reason or another, never got around to digging there. Today that changed. This one little lot is in a very old neighborhood but has been infested with greenbriers in the 40 years I have been in the area. A few weeks ago, someone came and mowed the lot. Then they scraped it down with a dozer, I suppose they are going to build something there. It's out in the middle of nowhere, maybe it's just for sale, there were no for sale signs visible. Near a crossroads, it' has been inviting me there for awhile.

It's a small place. I got permission from someone on the site and spent about and hour and a half out.

Here are the results. This is the most colonial relics I have gotten in one day since forever. I also got couple horseshoes, misc. iron which I tossed, some bits and pieces of copper something or others and a few of those little brass tacks to put on furniture. No shoe buckle pieces which was kind of odd. There was oyster shell around and some broken black glass. I was in kind of a hurry, the landscaper will be here any minute now. Have to meet him to go over some upcoming work.

The Spanish pieces of 8 are #5 and #6 of my entire digging career. The soil is very good there, and there is detail on all of the coppers. The tombac buttons look like new! One blow hole French and Indian war period button, four colonial coppers, I haven't looked too carefully at them yet. The last picture is of the coppers.

Fun, fun, fun. Tomorrow Civil War detecting.
View attachment IMG_0733.jpg View attachment IMG_0727.jpg View attachment IMG_0728.jpg View attachment IMG_0729.jpg View attachment IMG_0730.jpg View attachment IMG_0731.jpg View attachment IMG_0732.jpg

Upvote 58

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey you have some killer hunts!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day for sure! The coppers are a Nova Constellatio, Connecticut, and British George III Halfpenny. Last is interesting, not sure.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last is a French sol similar to this.

Attachments

• fr sol.jpg
    fr sol.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 732

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Did you say I'v got pootery? like Gary on Oak Island. His pronunciation of pottery and Pewter kill me. I found all sorts of civil war stuff but never any coins. If and when I ever find a Spanish pieces of 8, I will probably be like the guy on Diggers. Running around like a swarm of bees are chasing me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are amazing! Here I am rushing home to meet the landscaper (he came, tree is gone, he got paid, he loves me a lot because I over paid him). Sawmill man, thank you. Blk hole, I live in a great area a lot of it untouched by any machine. Thanks.

Iron patch, what is it with you? You must be allergic to kryptonite and must have laser guided eyeballs. Thank you. I can't see SQUAT anymore and my typing stinks. I saw the George III, but haven't done much but wash these off. Have to get to bed early to leave at the crack of dawn, I have a virgin civil war hut to dig with another Tnetter in the am before the stupid snow comes. Now THAT I'm excited about. I SHOULD be able to get back to this site, just a matter of catching the people there. It's not easy.

Lookingharder, I say pot tery. And I don't watch that show. I just can't do the hype. I binge watch stuff on Amazon or netflix and look for cute animals on youtube, or people wasting feral hogs at night. Makes me NOT want to go out at night.

Ironpatch, assuming you are correct, which I'm sure is true, that is my FIRST Connecticut, FIRST Nova and First French thingie. Who would have thought. I have two more American coppers still bouncing in the back of the truck. I put them in another zippy bag and forgot to bring them in. I think both are early 1800's.

Terry, thanks. You take your new beast out today? If you don't by tomorrow we've got to knock 10 points off your overall score. New toy = play with it.:laughing7:

Tomorrow has me SO excited! Today was an educated guess, but TOMORROW is a known undug CW hut in a place occupied by both Union and Confederates. Of course, those two pieces of 8 have me jazzed also. I forgot to mention, the other cut coins I have are all the 1 reale or 2 reale denominations. These are my FIRST 8 reale cut pieces. (I have never dug a 4 or 8 reale cob or milled coin.)

Now I'm getting excited. With the exception of the silvers, I thought all the coins were just KGII or III's.

I'm not sure if I'll use the Cibola or the Deus and am seriously looking at getting another Vaquero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double post, sorry, deleted the dup.

Last edited:

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Smokey!!!!! I'm a little jealous..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willeg, I get jealous all the time looking at what people dig, then just go out and dig some more.

And lookingharder, how does he pronounce "pewter"?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jeweler guy. First two of that kind. I've been digging since what, 1984 or so and went with others at least 15 years before that just surface hunting.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! I'm not generally jealous of others, but I'll make the exception in this case...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tomw244. None of the items found are "big ticket" items, but I love the chase. I've got some quick cleaning up tonight to get ready for the hunt tomorrow. I guess the reason I have had some success is I go all the time, move dead trees, march through briers, in mud puddles, brave the aluminum next to the road, all that fun stuff. I detect "out of the box" so to speak. Today's hunt was a slow pitch softball. These kind don't along very often.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Hunt and now you're following up with a CW Hunt, killer, just killer!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks the rebel and rudyt. Yes, tomorrow two of us are going to the same place I dug an eagle breastplate, a complete spur, shell frags, 100+ buttons and 100+ dropped bullets. Got a lot of nice, odd stuff, only one coin for some reason. I started this hut a year ago, then covered it up. I needed help. I was following a grey colored trail down in the dirt and then moved to a colonial site and the beach after it got warm last spring. I found a lot of broken glass in it and some broken pottery, very few pieces of iron. At the bottom were two minie balls. A big tree then fell on it, we will dig under the tree. I was waiting because I have more sites than time these days. Some sites are not good, some are unknown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread