SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to change it up and hit the woods where there used to be a fair held every year. The newest coin that's been found there is 1940. Not expecting a whole lot of luck since it's been Pounded for years by several different hunters. I put My 5x10" coil in and went through the fence.
The first couple of finds were copper wire and a shotgun shell. I was doing My best to get in all the possible areas that no one else would hit. I've got My CTX to sound a 1200hz tone on all Silvers & wheats. All else is different low tones. So I just swung until I got the Sweet high tone I was looking for.
I found a deer trail that gave me a little clearing so I followed it. After about 30 minutes of hunting I got a really Sweet, solid 12:27 on the CTX. Popped the plug and found a fairly good sized coin that looked to be a token. During further examination It looked like a Standing Liberty Quarter. I continued on and found a 1911D Wheat. After 2 1/2 hrs, nothing else so I headed to the truck.
When I laid it out to take a picture it looked larger than a Quarter, so I grabbed a Quarter and laid next to it. Wow! That's gotta be a Half! Sure enough a corroded WalkIng Liberty Half. There's a new Quarter laying on
Top of the Half in the picture with everything for size comparison. Silver #5 FTY. If anyone has any ideas on how to clean her up it would be much appreciated. The Wheat is 1911D. Still working on the Half. Hope I can at least get a date. The fair grounds are very early. HH IMG_4618.JPG IMG_4622.JPG IMG_4615.JPG IMG_4616.JPG
This is as good as I could get it clean. The date is gone. Still a Walking Liberty!!!! It must have been in a bed of iron.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    864 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    887.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Upvote 19

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver half dollar is always a great find.It appears your find was subject to fertilizer damage,but big silver coins are hard to come by.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the big silver recovery! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love the big silver! congrats on the Walker, I take em any way I can get them

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I have used the aluminum foil, baking soda, and boiling water method to clean the ones that are really bad. You might be surprised. Place a piece of aluminum foil shiny side up in a bowl lay the half on it making sure you have as much contact as possible. Cover the coin with baking soda and pour boiling water over it slowly. You can add more baking soda after pouring on the water. I let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes then remove it and you should see some corrosion left on the foil. Then use a little paste of baking soda and water to rub gently. You may have to do this 8 or 10 times on each side to get it looking presentable. Keep using a new piece of foil each time. If it were a good coin I would probably not do this, but by the way your half looks it will greatly improve its appearance

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I love the sound halves make on the machines. I have never seen one that corroded. Wild.

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know it it was the corrosion or the iron, or if It was on edge causing it to read those numbers.

Last edited:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like she's been in the ground for a long time.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Walking Liberty. Its always nice to see those come out of the ground, even if they are corroded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread