Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least we did manage to outrun the storm! But not by much. We were about 150 miles from home today in a very small sized private permission. Place has been hit hard. Anyway, I suggested we not actually wander around and try to find a missed signal, but to systematically explore a tiny area with our trusty full sized shovel. There were huts here and for miles around. Next to this big tree (which fell on the hutsite), we took out a shelf about 10" deep to work from. Then started removing dirt. We only dug in a 6' x 4' area, down to about 10". The detectors were finding the items BEFORE the excavation began, but I thought there would be more items deeper. I was correct. We had decided to split the finds beforehard. I let my digging partner get the "best" item of the day, as I already had a few of these (buttons). He will post his stuff soon. Here's what I kept.

View attachment IMG_0737.jpg

View attachment IMG_0738.jpg

First picture is some colorful Civil War glass. The only Civil War bottles I have intact are a few I've purchased.

The second picture has a nice dropped minie ball, a partially melted one, numerous pieces of camp lead, a pair of underwear buttons in iron, that one is pristine!, some adorable cut nails, when they're this nice, I keep them, a j hook with the round piece broken off and two strap guides for a standard US canteen in iron, and the back to a US general service button.

Tomorrow, we're braving the snow and going for colonial a lot closer to home. Buddy hunting is fun. I love the minies. And yes, you heard full sized shovel correctly. I guarantee if you went to look for where we dug, you would probably figure it out due to the disturbed soil, HOWEVER, the holes were filled and raked out, and the downed tree limbs, branches, rocks and leaves were replaced on the top to make it real purty! And keep the landowner happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 19

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site has more to give, but yeah, you will have to REALLY work for it. Nice digs, y'all.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. We dug a BIG hole and then had the unmitigated gaul to fill it back in, smooth out the area, and decorate it with already fallen tree limbs, sticks, rocks and leaves!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds familiar...lol.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it sure does. Leave the place BETTER than when you first go in. Unfortunately, we did not have an appropriate shrubbery to plant there!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, glad you got out! :occasion14:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds for such a hard dig. Congrats. You are on fire this year

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick get a hose if I'm on fire! Put it out! Might singe my cat fur!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. We dug a BIG hole and then had the unmitigated gaul to fill it back in, smooth out the area, and decorate it with already fallen tree limbs, sticks, rocks and leaves!

that is EXACTLY how I bury bodies

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have the time to ask the landowner what type of shrubbery he likes. Maybe I can get his pet goats a tasty treat, with prior permission of course. I'm not sure what they would like. They were so funny last year. I shimmy through the gate into their pen. I put my stuff down and lock the gate. In the meantime, this one goat has decided to help itself to my iced tea. I didn't want it with goat slobber all over it. Then a bit later the friendly little beast wants to be pals. I'm on my knees bent over a small hole and next thing I know there are these two small hooves in the middle of my back, it's standing on me and it's going for my hat. Detecting is so much fun and adventure!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snow? It was 80 here today! I have never hunted with goats but one time in a cow pasture I was so focused on digging a signal that I didn't realize I had been surrounded by a herd of cattle until one mooed! It startled me and I stood up quickly which spooked the cattle and they ran off in all directions. Oh yeah, the find? A pop top!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last fall we were in our colonial spot. I hear this heavy breathing behind me. I was so concentrated on not tripping over the weeds in the field, which were quite tall, there were about 8 cows right behind us. One was so close it was literally breathing down my neck. They got bored in awhile and wandered off to do cow things.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those Civil War finds Smokey. Looks like you guys had a pretty good day.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I love those nice condition square nails when they come out of the ground. Hard to believe they stay that nice being under ground all those years. Congrats on hard work that paid off! Also the nice landscaping....

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds,and the only Civil war glass I've been able to dig has been broken,

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I love those nice condition square nails when they come out of the ground. Hard to believe they stay that nice being under ground all those years. Congrats on hard work that paid off! Also the nice landscaping....

Pulling a pristine cut square nail out of the ground usually means they were annealed by fire (which stops the natural in-ground corrosion process) which is a good sign you are near a campsite or hut fire pit so start looking for charcoal, soil color changes, broken glass, melted lead, and food bones so you can zero in on the spot because thar be the relics.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulling a pristine cut square nail out of the ground usually means they were annealed by fire (which stops the natural in-ground corrosion process) which is a good sign you are near a campsite or hut fire pit so start looking for charcoal, soil color changes, broken glass, melted lead, and food bones so you can zero in on the spot because thar be the relics.

Totally makes sense. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thar be the relics! Unfortunately for us someone dug the huts a long, long time ago. They also left the holes totally open. We are basically looking for concentrations of any kind of metal and going down about a foot to the virgin ground to scoop up what is left. But it's fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread