Two Silver Firsts; an Incredible Weekend!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to a series of obligations I only got out for two 1-hour hunts this weekend, but they did not disappoint! The first site I had checked out a year ago and found very little. It's right off a trail and very obvious so I'm sure it's been hunted many times before, but I was in the area and wanted to see if the Deus could sniff out anything that was missed. There wasn't much near the cellar hole itself so I wandered the woods a bit and ended up digging my first silver coin for the year: a 1907-D barber dime! Probably a drop by a hunter since there were a bunch of shotgun head-stamps nearby and the cellar hole was abandoned by the 1870's. That would be a good hunt by itself, but not 20 feet away a tight 70's signal ends up being this:

20180216_202822.jpg 20180216_202943.jpg

My very first Trime! :hello2: It's definitely circulated, but the date is clear and all of the features visible so I'm happy. Being that I was 2 for 2 on silver coins I called it a day. I got out again today, but I only had 45min or so to spare so I revisited another site from the previous year. I've pounded it many times, but it's so overgrown with brambles that there's plenty of ground I haven't swung over. Its been a good site with a number of 1820's to 1860's relics and coins, but until today not a single piece of silver. Within 5 minutes that changed:

20180218_132356.jpg 20180218_164054.jpg DSC04071.JPG DSC04072.JPG

Only my third piece of Spanish silver and my first 1 real! Circulated, but I could instantly make out the 1780 date and the mintmark is Mexico City. What's surprising is that this site had no colonial relics aside from one artois shoe buckle that could have been discarded years later. This coin could also have been dropped in the 1820's, but it seems to have escaped the heavy wear that 40 years in circulation could have caused.

In the same area I started getting tons of large surface hits and it seems I stumbled on the trash pit!

DSC04070.JPG DSC04081.JPG

There were three different intact oil lamp assemblies as well as a large brass caster wheel and the parts of two brass spoons. What's interesting about the spoons is that both have matching hallmarks and they don't seem to be the usual maker's marks, but full stamped hallmarks like you would find on silver-smithed pieces.

DSC04074.JPG DSC04075.JPG DSC04080.JPG

I think it's a "D" "A" a lion, and then I can't quite identify the last two marks. Any thoughts?

It's going to be super warm this week so I'm hoping I can get out for some longer sessions, but I feel like this is a strong start to the year and I'm looking forward to what the warmer months will bring!

Upvote 47

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, they may not be banner material but if I was to find either one of those, they would be banner worthy to me. awesome finds and I would hunt that area hard with that machine

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the two great looking silvers.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great hunt by anyone's standards......and if not, their standards are way too high!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread