Silver and wheats..rinse and repeat.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Got out swinging for a bit today with the Etrac. Used the deep silver program with the stock coil. Proved to be helpful I think as the "old faithful" spot is putting out less and less but using this program was able to find wheats at 12" to go along with two silvers.

Keep swinging my friends!!

IMG_0135.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
silver and wheaties, a great combination

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I am being impressed by the very deep small finds being dug lately. More 12 inches deep finds have been posted lately,so I must listen better to iffy deep signals.

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Many times I end up digging iffy signals and was finding deep iron nails that sound great. One thing I have made myself do on what may be a deep iffy coin signal is to see if the signal is repeatable on all four sides. Swing swing signal, turn 90 degrees, rinse and repeat. Many times on what ends up being iron is it sounds great on one side but will sound terrible or even non existent when swinging on a different side of the target.

The other thing I have made myself do is if I'm getting a repeatable signal on four sides, but still am unsure whether to dig, is to "open up" the etrac and basically search all metal mode for a few swings and see what happens on the numbers. A good target is not going to "move" and many times a deep iron or trash target moves when opening to all metal. The other thing is to notice, even in all metal, a good target is going to stay close to the VDI that is designated for good targets rather than ratchet up to those iron numbers or start falsing.

This logic may not be 100% as there could be a great coin literally sitting around around the iron, but I will say for the Etrac, it you just slow down the swing once you start pinpointing the target the good tones will at least try to "come through" amidst the trash/iron target around it. I know some others that have more experience on Etrac or any other machine is that after awhile you have to listen to the machine as well as look at the numbers, that good "sound" will make you dig regardless of the numbers.

Still less than 50 hours on the Etrac but have noticed the above so far.

Best,
Hunter

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay more attention to the sound than the numbers. Nice finds.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old silvers and wheats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way to go. Great silver and Wheats.:thumb_up:

Top Member Reactions