Completely Unsearched Site! LCs, FE Cent, Relics...

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like these are precisely why I spend so much time wandering the woods and pouring over old maps. There was a blip on one of the Beers maps, but there were no roads leading to it and no distinct natural features to orient to. I had good luck at my old sites this past weekend and I debated spending more time gridding them, but I've been meaning the find this site for awhile now and the weather simply couldn't be beat, so I elected to do some hiking.

It's a large section of woods, and after following some streams I hiked up a steep slope to find a series of rock walls. I followed the strongest wall over the crest of the hill and just down the other side was the cellar hole; perched on the edge of the hill! I fired up the detector and immediately started getting hit after hit, some only an inch underground. This site had never been detected before!

I spend three hours there and I know I barely scratched the surface, but it's a long hike back so I packed up and headed out of the woods with the promise to return. Here's just the first round of iron that I hiked out:

DSC04118.JPG

There are quite a few more large pieces that I'll hike out bit by bit ( a 2 foot scythe and a large iron stove grate for instance) but these are a good start. There's also my favorite iron find:

DSC04119.JPG

I finally dug a shingling hatchet! I've seen these posted from time to time and I love the shape, plus it's a new style for the axe head collection!

There were also a good number of different oil lamp assemblies.

DSC04123.JPG DSC04122.JPG

The first piece is pewter and looks like an oil reservoir to a lamp, but I'm curious if someone here knows differently. Oddly this piece was right on the surface under the leaf litter and looks like it was sawed off a larger piece many years back.

DSC04120.JPG DSC04121.JPG

I was so excited to find this; I can't believe they lost an entire candlestick holder! The stem and base are a little loose, but has a beautiful green patina and these don't seem to turn up often at homesites.

There were quite a few coins scattered around and many were just under the surface.

DSC04124.JPG

The 1844 large cent was in the best condition; but there was also a draped bust large cent.

DSC04125.JPG DSC04126.JPG DSC04127.JPG

No date, but interestingly the DBLC has a counter-stamp: "TD" I know there are tons of different counter-stamps out there, but does anyone know about this particular one?

There was one other large copper, but it has almost no features left besides the faint outline of a right-facing bust. What's intriguing is that the edge is reeded:

DSC04128.JPG DSC04129.JPG DSC04130.JPG

I didn't know of any large coppers with reeded edges before now, so I'm definitely lost on this one.

There were three small coppers as well:

DSC04136.JPG DSC04138.JPG

An 1864 bronze IHP, an 1860 or 1864 cupro-nickel IHP, and an 1858 Flying Eagle cent!

The last isn't a coin, but a commemorative medal and my favorite find of the hunt:

DSC04133.JPG DSC04135.JPG

It's a Queen Victoria Coronation medal. The ground was fairly rough on it, but the front has "Born May 24, 1819" and the reverse has "Crowned June 28, 1838" and "Ascended the British Throne June 20, 1837" around the rim. I didn't even know these existed, much less expected to dig one, but it's a fascinating piece of history. I imagine it made it's way down from Canada and I can only guess as to why it ended up at this particular site.

There were quite a few of the other usual homesite relics:

DSC04144.JPG DSC04145.JPG DSC04147.JPG DSC04148.JPG

The miniature padlock was a surprise and a good reason to dig scratchy iron/non-ferrous signals. The zinc piece with holes appears to be a musical reed of some sort, but this is a new style to me. The salt-shaker top is pewter, and of course the ubiquitous parasol slide which was actually the first relic I dug! There were a number of pewter spoon fragments including one with a maker's mark: "C. Parker & Co." which is common for this area and date from 1840 to 1880. I also managed to save a very dainty brass rim to a daguerreotype picture box.

I also managed a very nice crotal bell:

DSC04140.JPG DSC04143.JPG

It came out of the ground just as shiny as you see it, and is in fantastic condition. Oddly it has a very faint "3" "2" and a "1" hand-engraved into the top near the stem. It doesn't look as neat as the usual identifying marks on these bells, so maybe leftover casting marks that they meant to remove.

There was also this brass wheel that looks like a broken pulley wheel.

DSC04149.JPG DSC04150.JPG

This was just the first-pass of the site mostly focusing on the areas directly adjacent to the cellar hole. I did find the trash pit and that alone will be tons to dig out, but I can't even imagine what else is still in the ground. No silver in this round, but with so many coins I'm certain that I'll find a few pieces hiding under the large signals and there are miles of fields (now forest) that I can hunt as well. This will be a fantastic series of hunts so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Upvote 51
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Gotta love those untouched sites Paleo! I've only found 2 in all of my years detecting and some of my best relics and colonial coins came from them. Your relics including the small crotal and the candlestick are great. Never found a whole candlestick before, that's fantastic. I've got your copper ID'd for ya...a Canada Marquis Wellington Halfpeny Token from 1813, and yup, it has a reeded edge. Do a Google search with those terms and you can view the ebay example etc. Best of luck on returning to that site. There's much more lurking I'm sure!

John

You're awesome; thank you so much for the ID! It does seem like these tokens circulated well and wore down easily. Very interesting that this site had both a Queen Victoria coronation medal and a Canadian token. I wonder if they settled here from Canada and these were keepsakes.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really awesome finds! Great coppers, pennies and relics. That site must have more there. Untouched sites are the best.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very, very well. I have only had the opportunity to get into a few untouched sites...ever. Your artifacts and coins are primarily 19th century. You need to go back after you get the big iron and big brass out and look for any silver or gold there. Sometimes it hides....

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
What an incredible variety of finds. Huge congrats to you, can't wait to see what else you pull out of there!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the site buddy. Such an amazing feeling when it all culminates with a virgin site and you get to pull all of those coins and relics out. I’ve been lucky to land on a few very early untouched sites. I hope you find lots more in the future

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work. Usually the most productive sites are the most difficult to reach. At a glance, I believe that copper is a George iii 1806/07

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your on a stellar spot...

Well done.

Awaiting more posts from this one.

--------------

Oh and BTW...

I cant get your candlestick out of my head...

Not only is it "rare" but yours is IMO really rare... AND perhaps the other one awaits finding at your spot for these were ALWAYS done in pairs...

Far shot but hey...

Anyway..

I think this is IMO a banner find.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, especially the site, it has me salivating. I'd love to find a site like that. I'm curious as to what that reeded edge copper is?

I need to read more, seen the ID, great token save!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Love the counterstamped LC.

The bust on your other copper reminds me a lot of the one on this page: British Coin Gallery - George III (scroll down to the 1806 one)

Could be a bank token of some kind too, like this one: https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/an...per_ns26a1_reeded_edge_vf/911747/Default.aspx

I've found a lot of Canadian bank tokens in our area so it could make sense.

''There was one other large copper, but it has almost no features left besides the faint outline of a right-facing bust''
Agreed it can only be an 1806/07 Half penny.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research and hard work was well rewarded. Now you have a spot to keep you busy for a while. Hopefully you will get some early US silver or military buttons.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What a site and place to dig! :notworthy:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOMEONE GOT A NICE SITE TO DIG..