1859 Sharps Pistal...WWII P.O.W. spoon...coyote kill

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 2 miles back in the woods detecting along an old trail and got a solid hit. Out popped this 1859 Sharps pistal. It's only half a gun, the 4 barrels are missing. My oldest relic so far. I stopped at a WWII Prisoner of War camp and only detected for a short time as there were too many nails. I did find a soup spoon. On the way out, I came across a fresh coyote kill from the night before. 162_0455.JPG 162_0456.JPG 162_0457.JPG 162_0459.JPG 162_0453.JPG 162_0454.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

Upvote 31

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. you better find a pistol with a barrel to take with you if you have that many coyote's. It took a lot more than one to clean that carcass like that. In Kentucky they are losing their fear of humans and are getting dangerous.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get coyotes within the city limits in California. They have no fear of humans and at night you can hear the death cries of someones pet that got left out at night or got out. I shoot them with my bow as often as they cross my path. I have one of these sharps pepper boxes with Ivory grips (the whole gun) They are an ingenious design with a rotating firing pin for the four barrels. .32 rim fire ammo is impossible to find

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to find that 4 barrelled pistol frame.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool and awesome find. surely the barrels are around nearby but you never know. :icon_thumright:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have asked me if I carry a gun while out in the woods, my answer is always no. I only carry a gun while hunting. In my part of the world in Penna, coyotes are not dangerous. The only problem they cause for people is killing livestock. In more populated areas of Pa. they do cause concern for people. In all my years of hiking, I have never seen a coyote. Most times I see more coyote tracks then deer tracks. They do howl and yip around here at night

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's really no need to post disgusting images of dead animals here. This is suppose to be a family friendly site, isn't it? What do dead animals have to do with treasure hunting?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I encountered two coyotes in the woods a couple of years back. As soon as they spotted me, they ran like heck. No need to be afraid of everything that moves in the woods, you know...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Sharps find, congratulations on the fine relic! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pa plateau hiker

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's really no need to post disgusting images of dead animals here. This is suppose to be a family friendly site, isn't it? What do dead animals have to do with treasure hunting?

I didn't mean to offend you. In the past several weeks on other family friendly sites, not metal detecting forums, there were pictures posted of dead deer, geese, elk, a fisher, and a bear. There was no mention of the dead animals being disgusting. A lot of comments were they felt sorry for the animals. I come across dead animals out in the woods quite often and think nothing of it. I found this dead deer while metal detecting so I posted it on this site. If I had been fishing or hiking and found a coyote killed deer, I would have posted it on another forum. No more dead animals photos from me.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to go deep into the woods and find some relics.
My only concern in the Pennsylvania Wilds Country is rattle snakes. You will know if you are too close to them but you just never know.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean to offend you. In the past several weeks on other family friendly sites, not metal detecting forums, there were pictures posted of dead deer, geese, elk, a fisher, and a bear. There was no mention of the dead animals being disgusting. A lot of comments were they felt sorry for the animals. I come across dead animals out in the woods quite often and think nothing of it. I found this dead deer while metal detecting so I posted it on this site. If I had been fishing or hiking and found a coyote killed deer, I would have posted it on another forum. No more dead animals photos from me.

I'm not offended and I don't find it disgusting....I enjoyed your post because you described a full picture of your day in the woods. Dead animals in the woods is totally kid friendly. They love that stuff.

Looking forward to your next post. Nature at its best pics included :)

PS... That's a very cool pistol!

Last edited:

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not offended and I don't find it disgusting....I enjoyed your post because you described a full picture of your day in the woods. Dead animals in the woods is totally kid friendly. They love that stuff.

Looking forward to your next post. Nature at its best pics included :)

I agree and I'm not offended either. He posted a story about his last hunt with pics and described in detail what he found. I usually don't put as much detail into my posts unless it's super interesting. This post was just that. I also don't blame anyone for being offended. We are all entitled to our own opinion. If someone doesn't like a post it's easy to hit the back button. He did put "coyote kill" in the title, just saying.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how some people are even able to walk past the butcher block at the supermarket without their knees knocking together. :icon_scratch:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All bs aside. Here is an interesting fact. Back in the 1860’s it was not uncommon to double charge the barrels and sell/trade one of those pepper box’s to an unwitting enemy. I read several first hand accounts of this being done.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own, I guess. I see more than enough death and violence in this world every day. No need to see it here as well.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a bit off topic with my first comment. I'd be thrilled to find an antique gun, lucky find but very smart to search that old trail. Congrats on the recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread