RlakeDave

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2017
Sebring FL and Traverse City Mi
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunters
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I joined two seasoned pros from Sebring Fl for a half day hunt at a park.

I managed 4 quarters, 4 dimes and fourteen pennies. Not fantastic but the pros managed over 40 quarters dimes not many pennies
obviously a major difference

Your thoughts on keys to a successful hunter.

Rlakedave

Upvote 4

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a balance of all 3. Experience and patience being the most essential. With out putting in the time, you wont learn. If you don't learn you wont find a thing even with the best of the best equipment. At the same time an experienced person with a junkie machine would not be as effective.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Location

2) Experience / Time on the headphnes

3) Equipment

Almost anyone, with almost any metal detector, can find the "good stuff," IF it's there. :skullflag:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
choosing good spots

pinpointing

digging faster

ignoring pennies

buying better gear

I agree with most of these other than ignoring pennies.

My secret is digging faster ie. beep dig pocket as quick as possible. This means on a good spot your covering more area & by more area I mean systematically. Leave nothing to chance, grid it carefully & grid it all. It may take days to do your first pass, then change direction & repeat.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of my best finds ever were penny signals, or bad signals. Where I detect, the best hunters dig virtually everything. They also have PDA - Positive Detecting Attitude, and understand it takes A LOT of energy to get the best finds (and that’s just a maybe).

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all the above plus a "little luck". I found a seated dime the first time out with a radio shack $50 dollar machine. It beeped and I dug.......6 machines later and 15 years, it has been location, equipment, research, string (grid searching), lots of moving dirt :BangHead: Sometimes with an elevated blood alcohol content makes it all better as well when your not finding anything :laughing7:

Lots of patients is required. Don't look at it as a job. We have had a lot of frustrating days but it's that "ONE" day when you make a find that makes it all better!!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
learn your machine and put the time in - it should get better

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and welcome to the hobby!

1. Know your machine an all of its settings and how they interact with each other.

2. Hour and hours detecting and understanding #1

3. Patients and enjoy the experience

4. Dig all repeatable signals

5. Location: Do your research on the sites and targets you wish to hunt and find.

6. Have fun...its a marathon not a sprint

7. You will dig lots of trash, there is no way around it if you want some of the more valuable targets.

8. Lots more to say, but this is enough to ponder now!

GL & HH

Doc

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. First, what kind of machine do you have and where do you dig? You have Florida and Michigan listed. Florida has salt water beaches among other land sites. Michigan also has beaches, minerals and coins, and very old spots. So you have a variety of places to dig. Let us know and how long you have been digging and I'll give some pointers.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post with some positive information.
Sounds like your "Seasoned Pros" did a little cherry picking.

Yup, I figured they passed on penny signals.

I'm a dig everything hunter though, since I can't rely on my machine knowing the difference between quarters and pennies. I just answered what I thought was "how do I get more quarters, and more overall"

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a honey hole? Do it again and again until there's nothing left. Then go back and do it a few more times. I've found a lot a great coins and relics with this approach. Patience and stubbornness are good traits in this hobby...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all boils down to putting time in with your detector so you better understand what it is telling you which leads to confidence, less time evaluating targets and digging the good stuff.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I joined two seasoned pros from Sebring Fl for a half day hunt at a park.

I managed 4 quarters, 4 dimes and fourteen pennies. Not fantastic but the pros managed over 40 quarters dimes not many pennies
obviously a major difference

Your thoughts on keys to a successful hunter.

Rlakedave

Is your question.....why did they find more quarters, dimes, and higher conductive targets than you did? There could be many reasons for that, beyond shear luck. As mentioned, the might have been cherry picking, where they have their machine setup to only respond to copper, clad, and silver coins and jewelry, where you may have included low and mid tone signals that slowed you down. Maybe they work faster? How did you measure up with total targets recovered.....both good and bad? Depending on the site, cherry picking can either be a great strategy or foolish one. Sure, you'll find more high conductors, but, miss out on lots of gold jewelry, old and new nickels, and many relics. I would probably do something similar in an urban park, but, not anywhere there was some decent history to it, or at the beach.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Become one with the machine. Learn it’s every whimper it’s every cry for joy and you will be successful .

2. RESEARCH
a) if you Hunt for old relics or gold LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
b) tides time if you water detect beaches

3. RECOVERY- pinpointer, retrieving tools

That is my take on it

Cheers

10291B87-F4A1-422E-9507-BBA93C98BB24.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread