Oldest silver to date! She may be beat up but she's seated!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I'll set the quick scene before getting to the point. Got out after work to a newish ball field (1960s-1970s) but had some potential. Stop me if you have had a similar situation. Start swinging, finding a few clad period to that area coins some of which are deeper than they really need to be, trash targets, modern coins close to the service...you start getting that feeling...backfilled dirt right? Deep coins are gonna be out of reach. Well that was me...but I kept swinging. Got a 14-43 - 12-40 on the Etrac at about 5 inches. I'm thinking, clad dime or maybe copper penny or lucky wheat? Right? Wrong! I pulled an absolute beat to hell 1887 Seated Dime! I'm not sure if she was dropped there or maybe the backfill from wherever it came from gave me my oldest silver to date. I don't care, she's awesome.

Back out tomorrow.

Keep swinging my friends!

Happy hunting,
-Hunter

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 21

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how u feel I just found my first seated dime last week, congrats
20180219_153341.jpg 20180218_154850.jpg

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Haha Jim yours looks purty compared to mine. Not sure what bar mine went into but it did not end well. :) Nice finds!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha Jim yours looks purty compared to mine. Not sure what bar mine went into but it did not end well. :) Nice finds!

I don't even have one! I think yours is awesome!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! You never forget your first seated, the beat up ones are the best because they saw alot of history. :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the seated dime! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated. No matter how beat up, and been through a lot she is got a bit of love now in life now.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
You weren't kidding but heck yeah! That's an amazing find, especially for a modern site. Congrats!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, my oldest silver is right about there as well...also a seated. It is bent in half....but we don't care haha

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done hbeaton! That’s called character my man. You don’t want to find those coins that had boring lives lol. All those scars tell a great story. What’s next....capped????

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated. Place it between two pieces of wood in a bench vise and squeeze it back to flat! Then clean it because it wont hurt the value. (IMHO!) Sub 8-)

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated. Place it between two pieces of wood in a bench vise and squeeze it back to flat! Then clean it because it wont hurt the value. (IMHO!) Sub 8-)
Was that your suggestion to mine that is bent as well or another tnetter? I may do that today.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She may be ugly, but she's all yours. At least you can date it, so now you truly know it is your oldest silver to date. Not having that date would have made you wonder the rest of your life, ( or at least to the end of the day ) ! how old it really was.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your oldest silver! I hope you are able to pop a couple more oldies from this site! Congrats!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seated dime I’ll one any way it comes. Still searching. I did find a 1875 Seated Dime but it was a period counterfeit. Still pretty cool.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seated dime I’ll one any way it comes. Still searching. I did find a 1875 Seated Dime but it was a period counterfeit. Still pretty cool.
Was it obvious or did you take it somewhere?

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions