Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to beat the rain. I wanted to get one day digging out this weekend. I went to a POUNDED Civil War site some distance from here. My Tesoro Cibola wanted to come, so I said ok, it and the Deus were "arguing" in the back seat about who would do better.

Got to the site and basically switched machines a few times. Here are the results. Both machines did very well.

Took the Cibola first around a log we had been digging last week. First thing out was a piece of a civil war cartridge box tin, nothing dramatic, but you don't find many anymore. I found some glass and nails in the hole, and just decided to move a little of the horrid red dirt back and I'm basically flipping some dirt over and I see this little "A" on top of the pile. The Cibola had heard it as non ferrous, remember that machine is a turn and go type. It is a Union kepi hat letter "A". This is the first hat letter I have ever found. View attachment IMG_0742.jpg I found a hat #"1" last summer, but this is my first hat letter and I was jazzed. Went around the tree some more and pulled out some small pieces of camp lead. I moved over a few feet and found two bullets "hiding" about 4" down under a large tree limb, which I had to move out of the way. View attachment IMG_0740.jpg Then I moved to the other side of the tree, and alternately used the Tesoro and the Deus, depending on which whimpered the most. I wound up with 2 eagle buttons, 1 underwear button and my first ever coat Virginia Button! All in all a good day.

View attachment IMG_0743.jpg

I then got tired of this little are, and moved off around 50' looking for any concentration of metals. I found some broken glass, the one piece is from a green flask, nails, more camp lead, and two 1930's shotgun shell bases. These are now hard finds from this site as it has been dug since the 1960's. The largest piece of camp lead the Deus nailed down near a gulley. It was fun. The site doesn't seem to produce coins. They may have been cherry picked out of it a long time ago. View attachment IMG_0744.jpg View attachment IMG_0745.jpg View attachment IMG_0746.JPG View attachment IMG_0747.JPG View attachment IMG_0748.jpg

Upvote 37

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That red dirt sticks to everything and takes forever to clean up. Those hat letters are very fragile, it came out well, I had to straighten it a little.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff thanks for sharing your finds!!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day! If I had found all of that I would make a single display box just for the items from that site! Great recoveries!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I ordered some boxes the other day and they will be here in today's mail. This batch will wind up in one. I have at least a dozen big riker mounts from this site all filled up. Except for the big CW camp axes and horseshoes.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How awesome! I have heard of “money trees” but CW trees??? Got to plant me one of those! Congratulations Smokey

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of dead wood there. The signal for the first minie was just at the side of the tree, and after I moved it, there they were.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

That Tesoro is no slouch in the field! :icon_thumleft:

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! I live in Virginia, found about 40 buttons last year and have not found a Va button. The Kepi "A" is great too! Gives me great hope for the future.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phishfarmer, I have detected this general area 3 years, and this is my first one. Most times you' re lucky to come with one keeper, maybe two.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like you are still squeaking out some nice finds there, congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtlooter, yes, squeaking them out is accurate. TomW244, here is a pic of them (sort of) cleaned up and in a case. I had left a few in the truck which I just retrieved, and some Civil War charcoal from the same pit which I got last week. View attachment IMG_0749.jpg

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds! The A is in great shape. They can be hard to come by. Congratulations

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks relic_nut. The "A" was heard, then dug from depth. I was not expecting it. In a plowed field, it would never have survived. i looked for a dug one on the net yesterday for price comparison but couldn't find one.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly was a great day at a pounded out site since that place has been searched as early as the 60's.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrifty76now, thanks. It's not like doing a park which gets replenished. It's tough most days.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To Someone Outstanding (or should I say) Outswinging in their field. Smokey, Congrat's to you on some very nice CW Relics. I really like the A Artillery cap badge and the Virginia button. You did Good on some Saved artifacts. Continued Success to you. Aren't you glad you brought both the Deus and the Cibola along for the trip, arguing or not. Lol

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Super finds, I love the hat letter( still looking for my first) and the Virginia Button! --JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread