First Hunt with the CTX - New Sights, Sounds & Silver!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
First Hunt with the CTX - New Sights, Sounds & Silver!

Hi all,

Got my CTX on Friday night and couldn't wait to get out and use it. I am training for a half marathon right now so after a couple hours of training yesterday I wasn't feeling up to it.

I hit one of the handy neighborhood sidewalk strips permissions for a couple hours this morning and it went very well. I just used the standard Silver setting on the CTX and set it to 5 tones.

My first takes vs. the DFX are:
-CTX does a better job discriminating zincs and bottle caps. Any time something hit in the 30s it was one of those two. It became very predictable.
-High tones ring up sweet but I couldn't really tell the difference between a copper penny, dime and Quarter.
-I found some impressive stuff (pennies standing upright, a tiny little gear at 8 inches) that I don't believe I would've found with the DFX.
-I only found 1 nickel so I don't have a good feel for what those sound like.
-Because the CTX is more powerful than the DFX it's also more sensitive so I couldn't detect as close to cars without getting a signal.

I understand that a 45 is a highly conductive signal and a 01-15 is a low conductor, but what does the first batch of numbers mean? Like a 12-45. What is the 12?

Here are my finds today:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519606340.252421.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519606380.531506.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519606396.425443.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519606408.277998.jpg

Keepers are a 64D Rosie and 36S wheat. It was really nice not having to worry about the machine in the rain! I think I'm going to like it.

Thanks for your help and happy hunting!
-W

Edit: Should also mention that this ties my brother and I with last year for most silvers in a year. 2018 will be our year!

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the good time with Your CTX. I
Believe the 12 is the amount of iron present In the object. I'll look it up.
Fe:Co ( Ferrous:Conductivity )

Last edited:

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on ur finds n the new machine

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edit: Should also mention that this ties my brother and I with last year for most silvers in a year. 2018 will be our year!

Welcome to the world of CTX. CONGRATULATIONS on your nice finds. Now that you have tied your brother we need to spot test you for “performance enhancing drugs” and I think the CTX qualifies as PERFORMANCE ENHANCING L :laughing9: L

Cheers
E4F29494-7B2A-45B7-A9D5-1291C96C15B9.jpeg

jerr-man

Jun 28, 2014
S E Kansas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / XP DEUS / TRX PINPOINTER, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres a BIG TIP on the 3030. If you havent read / bought the book by Andy Sabisch, DO IT NOW. It explains everything in detail. It is a MUST READ for any CTX3030 user. As a matter of fact I own Antiques Detectors and give one to any of my customers with a 3030 purchase.
Try changing your tones to "Combined", I think you will get the difference in tone you want.
The "12" line is like the "magic" line on the 3030. Generally speaking, here in my part of the world , silver coins ring up 12/43-12/47. Nickels 12/10-12/12. I have found IHP anywhere from 10/38, 11/39, 12/39. It depends on what program you are running ie...ferrous coin, ground coin, heavy trash. All of these settings will effect your VDI. I find ground coin to give the most consistent VDI. If I can assist just holler. You wont be sorry you bought this machine. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I would pay less attention to the numbers & more attention to digging. I glance at mine for a second just before I dig. 2 sweeps over, start digging.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the new machine! Like with any machine, take your time and really learn every setting and how the interact with each other...makes a huge difference.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.on your maiden voyage on the CTX 3030.
As has been recommended, pick up a copy of Andy Sabisch's book on the CTX 3030. He has also put out some outstanding books on the Explorer and Etrac, as well as the XP DEUS.
Learning the tones will take some time and practice. In a short period of time, the tones will grab your attention as your coil goes over a good target.
In the beginning, I had a tendency to check my numbers. Here are some that you don't want to overlook.
13-13, nickels, 12 - 24, nickel or gold. (I also recovered an 1864 IHP on this number)
8 - 48, Half Dollar, 01 - 43, Silver Dollar.
There is a chart in the book that you can copy and laminate. I used one which is pocketsize and acted as a quick reference. (Also known as a; Cheat Sheet).
Welcome to the World of CTX and congrats on your finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread