Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this weekend I got out for some detecting finally. Between boiling syrup and work I've been busy and missed lots of potential detecting time already this year. Sat 3cylbill and I met up and checked out a new potential spot that he has had his eye on. Thanks to him I think we have a spot worth returning to in the future. At this spot I found 4 wheaties, 5 indians, 1898 v nickel, 1902 barber dime, 2 sleigh/horse bells, and some other fun odds and ends. One of my best coin days, even though the indians are all toasted. The next evening on sunday, after I finished boiling some syrup, I snuck out again. This time hitting up some cellar holes. First target was a bucket lister, this awesome heart heel plate(my first proper heel plate.) I've heard all the stories from prostitutes to civil war soldiers about these, I think for sure it came from a women's sized shoe, probably civilian and most likely not a hooker based on where this location is. The next thing I found is this fancy shield shaped badge or part of some kid of ribbon? also found a couple of pocket knives as well as a sweet two piece horse button. The weirdest thing is the square nails. They came out of one of the cellar holes, but are in almost pristine condition. I have never seen square nails not rusted into oblivion. I think it had to do something with this house burning at some point, as I found all sorts of melted glass in and around the hole. Not sure why that would keep them from rusting but the cellar 100 yards down the road the square nails were all rusted. That or they had a ridiculously high copper content in them. Thanks for checking it out.
20180225_192041_resized.jpg 20180225_192047_resized.jpg 20180225_192054_resized.jpg 20180225_192129_resized.jpg 20180225_192222_resized.jpg

Upvote 18

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Very interesting pieces. :thumbsup:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew you would get out on sunday ...NICE heart heal plate . just wait a week or so till the water goes down and it will open up the rest of the field . I don't think we hunted one tenth of the fields...BUT WE WILL ..keep dreaming...

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you would get out on sunday ...NICE heart heal plate . just wait a week or so till the water goes down and it will open up the rest of the field . I don't think we hunted one tenth of the fields...BUT WE WILL ..keep dreaming...

yeah i couldn't help myself once I finished boiling early. If only we could mow and plow that field...then dreams would come true.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Love the heel plate with the heart CONGRATS!!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a whole pouch full of goodies. Congrats.

The watch fob and heel plate are sweet relics. An of course I am liking the coins.

Best of luck to you sir.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great old stuff and thanks for sharing them with us!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in agreement with the rest of the august body here, that is a very cool heel plate!:icon_thumleft:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, looks like you found love.... 4ED349EC-3830-4B2C-B53E-C9232759FF07.jpeg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful hunt with many cool relics! :occasion14:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a heart heel plate before and was told it was civil war soldier heel plate. But if yours is small I guess it could be a womens. Never hear of them being a prostitutes! That is too funny.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a heart heel plate before and was told it was civil war soldier heel plate. But if yours is small I guess it could be a womens. Never hear of them being a prostitutes! That is too funny.

Story goes that prostitutes used them to signal thier intentions, so a man could simply follow the heart prints in the dirt. I don't think it was true on a wide spread scale. Maybe a town somewhere did this? maybe its just that, a good story.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should try Andre's Pencils on the Indian Head pennies. They work amazing on them and won't hurt them. They are cleaning pencils. Google them. I bought some and they work wonders on Indians and wheats

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should try Andre's Pencils on the Indian Head pennies. They work amazing on them and won't hurt them. They are cleaning pencils. Google them. I bought some and they work wonders on Indians and wheats

No offense but i'm not interested in using those. Those pencils remove patina and should not be used on any coin that has potential. If I wanted to do that I would just use the 0000 steel wool the pencils are made of. One might be worth working on, the others I'll probably remove patina because most of it seems to be a result of copper disease rather than a good patina.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread