1827 Large Cent - Best Coin In Two Months

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
I got this 1827 Large Cent in nice condition today in a section of woods not too far from the old woods, where I found the 1787 Massachusetts Large Cent on July 3rd. I parked my car, walked about 75 yards down a trail, looked towards the left at the top of a small incline, and said to myself, start up there. I turned on my machine at the bottom of the incline and started swinging the coil as I made my way up the short hill. I swear to God, the first hole I dug, just about right at the top of the hill, I came up with the Large Cent. I spent another two hours hunting after I found the Large Cent and only came up with two 19th century flat buttons. Talk about metal detecting radar, it was right on today. The first two pictures show the Large Cent after I cleaned it in the field and the last two after I cleaned it at home.

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 477
  • large2a.jpg
    large2a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 469
  • large3.jpg
    large3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 467
  • large4a.jpg
    large4a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Green1 said:
nice coin there,,,, how did ya clean it ??

I first let it soak in boiling hydrogen peroxide, which didn't really work too well on this coin. I then (and I hesitate to admit this), lightly cleaned it with a soapy SOS pad. Needless to say, if it was a valuable coin, I would never use a steel wool pad.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Nice find Bill.Glad to see you are clicking in the woods again.I hope you are using a lot of DEET all over this time of year for the ticks.

ltngbolt

Greenie
Aug 20, 2007
Nice find Bill!
You and I used to cross the same paths.......I never knew you were a TH'r until I ran across your best finds post. If you need a hint as to who I am if I said I was the doorknob guy would it ring a bell?
:)

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
Nice find!!!!! looks like long island still has a few goodies to give up ;D

found my first ever large cent last week

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
It's always cool to find something great right off the bat! It makes the rest of the hunt so much more fun!

Congratulations on zeroing in on the Large Cent!

Ridley

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
ltngbolt said:
Nice find Bill!
You and I used to cross the same paths.......I never knew you were a TH'r until I ran across your best finds post. If you need a hint as to who I am if I said I was the doorknob guy would it ring a bell?
:)

Hey Paul,

How's it goin? How could I ever forget the antique doorknob with the embossed/cast deer (or was it an elk?) bought an an estate sale for next to nothing, that sold for $5500.00 on ebay! Where you been?

ltngbolt

Greenie
Aug 20, 2007
Hi Bill.......it was an Elk...great memory! Grats on the gold coin btw!!! awesome find
I was so busy with my business didn't do much else for the last few years. Little slow now and we are in contract selling our house. Finally got out detecting again and back to this site. I was away from here so long my user login didn't work anymore :(
Ran into Mona the other day on the road and was asking about all the "old bunch"

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I would like to find a large cent...must have been exciting! :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice coin, Congrats!!!
I just recently found my first. Definitely a thrill to pull one of those puppies out of the ground.
Continue Good luck, & Happy hunting~

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Every time I dig a signal I say a little prayer that it's one of those! I have yet to find a large cent, despite looking every weekend. Maybe today,

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread