Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling 1652

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Excal / Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out with friends last Wednesday, finding nothing, friends finding,,, me? not so much... Almost gave up. (We've all been there), decided to switch to manual sensitivity on my 3030, gave another try... Bingo! Perseverance paid off! 10-12 inches down, Dug my first 1600's coin...AND WHAT A COIN!!!!

NOE: 29 Rarity: R3 201-500 known to exist Phenomenal condition! WAAAHOOO!!!

IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

Upvote 115
OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Excal / Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You all for the warm welcome. Not my site, you know how that goes. So I can only say that it was found in an undisclosed location in SE New England.
I was so close to hanging it up for the day. I felt like the place was kicking my butt. Just goes to show that you never know what the next swing will bring.
Don't give up! A lesson learned and a day to remember.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I can only say that it was found in an undisclosed location in SE New England

You could tell us if it was RI or MA. I don't think that would give anything away! LOL!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!!! Just holy crap on that find!! I wouldn't do anything else to it other than the water! That is every metal detectorist's dream right there! I have a higher chance of winning the lottery and using the money to buy and example than actually finding one. Well done on such an amazing, find and welcome to TreasureNet, such an incredible first post (FYI my first post was something stupid, I think it may have been "rare zincoln error or just blob of glue and some gunk?", though that thread could be from later lol) :notworthy::notworthy:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the club with the title of grand poobah for such an exceptional coin!

flintstones[1].jpg

The coin has great detail with knock-out eye appeal. You think you really wanted to find a coin like this before? Just wait. Now that you've found one, seen it first-hand, and know it can be done, the thirst really begins. Enjoy the warm after-glow - soak it up and congratulations. You'll be looking for another soon, because getting there is what makes being there all part of the experience. Mass Silver - Find it or die trying!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out with friends last Wednesday, finding nothing, friends finding,,, me? not so much... Almost gave up. (We've all been there), decided to switch to manual sensitivity on my 3030, gave another try... Bingo! Perseverance paid off! 10-12 inches down, Dug my first 1600's coin...AND WHAT A COIN!!!!

NOE: 29 Rarity: R3 201-500 known to exist Phenomenal condition! WAAAHOOO!!!

View attachment 1561075 View attachment 1561076 View attachment 1561077 View attachment 1561078

Congratulations , I wish I went with you detecting that day, my big mistake
Happy Treasure Hunting
Glad your enjoying your Minelab CTX 3030
thanks

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding one of the holy grails on American coins. That find will be tough to top, but sure you will have fun trying:headbang:

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not only cracked the 1700 barrier but did it by half a century! Congratulations x10! Posts like this give us all hope... wait a min it's only 1:00, I'm goin hunting NOW.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Members are not Eligible for banner . if your find & your membership are within 90 Days of each other, we reserve the right to say No. too soon.
we want to be sure Members are signing up here to share & not because someone told them If they sign up quick, They can get their find on our Banner. Sorry !

The OP joined on March 2nd. Does that mean this find isn't eligible for banner?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a find and in excellent condition to boot. Congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess you just proved that it's not over until the machine is turned off and stored away. Congrats on the great looking silver, one coin that is on many bucket lists. :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the club with the title of grand poobah for such an exceptional coin!

View attachment 1561322

The coin has great detail with knock-out eye appeal. You think you really wanted to find a coin like this before? Just wait. Now that you've found one, seen it first-hand, and know it can be done, the thirst really begins. Enjoy the warm after-glow - soak it up and congratulations. You'll be looking for another soon, because getting there is what makes being there all part of the experience. Mass Silver - Find it or die trying!

Well said! I haven’t stopped thinking about it since that day. Trying to get that feeling again

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, Really nice.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely send that in to get authenticated and slabbed

Yes, I would say the same thing. Have it certified and protected in a plastic case. Totally rare and a great investment!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
No comment in 2hrs! For shame! Eligible or not, I’m casting a banner vote for your find. You can’t blame an old Mass tree coin for being dug by a guy who just joined T-Net.

Actually, In light of the coins history, Treasurenet rules for banner sound quite trite.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations NEWeander! That coin looks great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions