Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling 1652

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Excal / Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out with friends last Wednesday, finding nothing, friends finding,,, me? not so much... Almost gave up. (We've all been there), decided to switch to manual sensitivity on my 3030, gave another try... Bingo! Perseverance paid off! 10-12 inches down, Dug my first 1600's coin...AND WHAT A COIN!!!!

NOE: 29 Rarity: R3 201-500 known to exist Phenomenal condition! WAAAHOOO!!!

IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

Upvote 115

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible find! Big congrats on your pine tree shilling!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I would probably just sell my detectors after finding that coin. I don't think I could ever top that!

Doubt any such coins ever made it to the midwest though? I think I saw a cut tree coin that Bill L. found in one of his videos if I recall if was in Maine.

Seems I always find my best finds within the first five minutes or last five minutes.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I would probably just sell my detectors after finding that coin. I don't think I could ever top that!

Doubt any such coins ever made it to the midwest though? I think I saw a cut tree coin that Bill L. found in one of his videos if I recall if was in Maine.

Seems I always find my best finds within the first five minutes or last five minutes.

I can assure you....you would not sell your detector! You would turn into a crazed lunatic who became completely obsessed with finding the next one. The more scarce variety, the willow tree or the pinnacle....the NE Shilling. You’d spend thousands of dollars on kayaks and cutting edge detectors hoping they get you to the next Mass silver.
Ok now you know what I did lol. But perhaps I’m a bit more of a psycho than most. But honestly it becomes an obsession after the first. You spend a lot of time trying to reach that high again.

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab, I concur! Its happening to me! Every dig is a potential Tree Coin!!! LOL! Very unrealistic, but true!
I've got the sickness.....There's another one waiting somewhere out there waiting for me to dig it. .....In my dreams anyway.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab, I concur! Its happening to me! Every dig is a potential Tree Coin!!! LOL! Very unrealistic, but true!
I've got the sickness.....There's another one waiting somewhere out there waiting for me to dig it. .....In my dreams anyway.

Yep you’ve officially got the sickness! You already know what the only cure is....but that will only hold you over for awhile. Just ask Hank Phillips. I think he has 8 Mass silvers. Some in amazing condition.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can assure you....you would not sell your detector! You would turn into a crazed lunatic who became completely obsessed with finding the next one. The more scarce variety, the willow tree or the pinnacle....the NE Shilling. You’d spend thousands of dollars on kayaks and cutting edge detectors hoping they get you to the next Mass silver.
Ok now you know what I did lol. But perhaps I’m a bit more of a psycho than most. But honestly it becomes an obsession after the first. You spend a lot of time trying to reach that high again.

Abe, you got that right. I am now obsessed with finding the next one. Completely mad. Gone fishing.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep you’ve officially got the sickness! You already know what the only cure is....but that will only hold you over for awhile. Just ask Hank Phillips. I think he has 8 Mass silvers. Some in amazing condition.

I wish I had that problem....

To the OP - fantastic cleaned up pictures. What a beauty!

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup it sure is! Now if it would only stop snowing we’d be able to get out there and continue “The hunt”

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable find. No one can ever take away that memory and that’s worth more than what anyone would pay for it. Glad you narrowed it down to Southern New England LOL. On a serious note, I really don’t think the curiosity about the location of the hunt is because any of us are looking to steal your site. There is a huge piece of the story missing for me without the “type” of site it was found at. A great post puts the reader in the mind of the poster so we can feel we were there, and without any detail whatsoever I just can’t get that full vicarious feeling. A simple “field, backyard, park, church, woods” or whatever would work for me. It also help keep up the hope of the guy who’s been hunting 30 yrs without a tree coin when he’s in the woods and just read a cool post about a guy finding one in the woods. I’m probably way too picky but that’s how I feel about it. It takes nothing away from the awesomeness of the find. It doesn’t put me there in my mind, that’s all.

gpgodwin

Greenie
Aug 10, 2011
Southshore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & CTX 3030
Was able to see and actually hold this coin at the Metaldetectors.com store in Rockland, MA and I was speechless. I can only pray that one day I will find one... Congratulations!!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I KEEP TELLING MYSELF ONE OF THESE DAYS >BEAUTY.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions