ODD "COIN JAR" PENNY HAS ME DUMBFOUNDED... THOUGHTS?

coin finder momma

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2018
Washington state
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd 1997D penny was DSCN0486.JPG collage.png found in one of my coin jars. thicker and seems heavier than a normal penny. sides are thick making center look inlaid. reverse side building columns appear ridged and squared. copper appears to be chipping and warn. my son just sized with a dime and is the same size in circumference.

DSCN0475.JPG DSCN0498.JPG DSCN0497.JPG DSCN0435.JPG DSCN0429.JPG

this penny has be completely dumbfounded and would love some insight/thoughts on this little bugger

Upvote 7

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just looks to somehow have had the edges rolled over

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone may have been beating on the edges to practice making a coin ring

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People used to start coin rings this way.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as some others have said - may be someone starting to make a ring. you roll and hit the edges of the coin to flatten them.
or - it may be a dryer coin, a coin stuck in a dryer for a long time.

I am going with the ring theory

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool cent, thank you for sharing!

Dieselpro

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made double sided coins. It looks like a coin that I would cup out on one side and press another thin head inside the cup. You notice on the extreme sides where the coin has been cut down. Your single coin has been cut down and pressed into a ring of copper I guess. Even looks like epoxy on the edges.

I could make them so perfect the thin side would just snap in with no cement. Making a perfect coin requires two perfect coins to start out with. Seems the edges are not so near the same thickness and you can loose bits of letters on the edge.

Maybe this is a coin you can stand on edge for fun jokes or something.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely just damaged, these are usually called dryer coins, but I would imagine there are other ways they could end up like this.

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes inmates people in jail does this type of stuff, they make coins into rings out of boredom. Maybe that penny didn't get finish. Cool find.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is a coin you can stand on edge for fun jokes or something.

I think it something along these lines. A fake coin for a magic trick. The details are lacking, it looks like a poor copy.

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CFM.
I had a silver 10 cent that I retrieved from the pump on a washing machine years ago that had its edges rolled over like yours the pump was "Toast" and I was replacing it when I found it probably got like that after being tumbled for some years.
......HH....Bonz

Dieselpro

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is not tumbled. You can clearly see the inner edges have been cut. Notice how the edge of the letters have been chopped off? The outer edge of a good coin was cut off and that cut coin was inserted into a copper ring. As suggested it's really a poor modification to serve some type of magic trick or something along those lines. I thought maybe the rim was steel so a magnet would pick it up. Have you tried a magnet?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure that it is a dryer coin. Here is an image of a similar dryer coin from the internet. Almost every zinc cent that was in a dryer for a very long time shows the coin's underlying zinc on the edges, because after time in the dryer, the thin copper plating was heavily worn down and moved around.

coin.png

Just search zinc dryer coin on Google Images to see more examples similar to the OP's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dry...UICygC&biw=1260&bih=645#imgrc=Fn_Z6--ey9nq0M:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a dryer coin, seen lots of them!

Dieselpro

Greenie
Feb 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at some of the dryer coins on Google I guess that is what it is. The coin surface is just to degraded to be anything else. The reduced OD should be the tip off.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bang on a coin with a spoon, will create that effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread