πŸ₯‡ BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I would get this checked out just to confirm it & to quickly think about stabilizing the flaking - ASAP.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same question back at you. Why was someone in 1785 wandering the woods...lol Never make the mistake of trying to make sense of why things turn up where they do, only worry about what they are.

Probably lived there, since there's a cellar hole 75 feet away from where I found it. I'm a mathematical person. The odds of 1 of 65 counterfeit 1860 bar cents being dropped deep in the woods of RI are astronomical. Plus, they minted thousands of bar cents compared to the meager 65 counterfeits, so that skews the odds in my favor even more. Just my take on it...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably lived there, since there's a cellar hole 75 feet away from where I found it. I'm a mathematical person. The odds of 1 of 65 counterfeit 1860 bar cents being dropped deep in the woods of RI are astronomical. Plus, they minted thousands of bar cents compared to the meager 65 counterfeits, so that skews the odds in my favor even more. Just my take on it...
I understand, but with something as important as this you need a expert to see it in their hands & you need to think about conserving it.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you need to re-bury this coin immediately to stop the flaking. I can give you an address in PA where there is special conservation soil... happens to be my backyard. Seriously, I had one copper earlier this year come out super green, but after a day it really started to dry out and turn white so in this instance I hit it with some olive oil, but it was worth maybe a couple bucks. Renn Wax would probably stabilize the flaking, but if you wanted to remove the wax for proper preservation or "cleaning" it would require a solvent to melt the wax off which might take some patina off as well. Tuff decision on a special coin. Good luck

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO be careful who you let touch this coin, who you let conserve it. You need someone knowledgeable in coins of this type. My experience with dealing with coin dealers always is the same. They recommend guys who only deal with old coppers, who really understand about dug coins. Now is when your research will pay off. Find a guy who knows what hes doing.
Nice find congrats!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A unbelievable find:occasion14::notworthy: I would put that in mineral oil immediately to stop the flaming . I wonder if you can uses the same method that’s used on pewter? half Elmer’s/half water

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
IF it's real then TRIPLE WOW!!! If it's a repro then just WOW!!!:thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO be careful who you let touch this coin, who you let conserve it. You need someone knowledgeable in coins of this type. My experience with dealing with coin dealers always is the same. They recommend guys who only deal with old coppers, who really understand about dug coins. Now is when your research will pay off. Find a guy who knows what hes doing.
Nice find congrats!

Agreed! 90% of your coin shop guys will have little to no experience with coins of this type. Colonial coinage and dug coins are something that most rarely deal with. Add in the scarcity of your coin and I would be doing my homework and driving as far as I had to for the right answer by the right person

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the conservation tips, but I think it's a lost cause. I've had large cents start to flake away until they're just a smooth coin. If I place it in oil, the flaking areas will lift off and then it's a smooth coin. If I do nothing, it may be okay for awhile or it may get worse.

When I look at it under magnification, the "U" in USA already has a small chip out of it. There's no detail under that spot, just the flat coin. I could try to rub Renaissance Wax on it, but that may lift off the detail as well. Damned if I do something and damned if I don't...

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was mine,I'd stabilize it first. Then I'd take it to a coin show . Lots of dealers there with some that focus on just colonials. Most big cities have 1-2 a year. I go to Manchester NH twice a year..My fugio was a flaky mess,I put it in mineral oil for a day,pat dry ,then I put in a clear plastic case. That was 2 years ago,not flaky anymore.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Tim, I think you got a winner, and your first banner coming soon!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great comments and banner votes! If this boy doesn't make it, I'll probably never get one! Going to be very hard to top this coin!

One more note. I was messing around with the video I shot of the find and took a screenshot of one frame. I think it shows the little spike thing on the second bar from the top, but you decide. Even if it is there, I don't know if that's a 100% guarantee that it's not the 1860 counterfeit.

image (6).png

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great comments and banner votes! If this boy doesn't make it, I'll probably never get one! Going to be very hard to top this coin!

One more note. I was messing around with the video I shot of the find and took a screenshot of one frame. I think it shows the little spike thing on the second bar from the top, but you decide. Even if it is there, I don't know if that's a 100% guarantee that it's not the 1860 counterfeit.

View attachment 1563463
It does look like it, what does it look like under magnification?

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's an 1862 version..Still a killer find..It is believed to have been struck around 1785, and the "A" passes over the "S". There is also a copy struck around 1862, distinguished by the "A" passing under the "S"..

~Blaze~

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't find any photos of the 1862 reproduction, but here is the original. The S and A look to same to me as on the OP's coin.

05898505_1261940_2200.jpg

Has anyone found a reference photo of the 1862 reproduction for a comparison?

Last edited:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 2003 Red book there is some good info i read about and supposed to have a pic..True lots of real ones are worn so the "A"looks like it is under..I see some questionable areas on the back bars and the top right of the "u" looks bent in..But it's dirty,worn and geez im stumped on it..The Patina looks Colonial era aged..I just cant say for sure..The area he always hunts was a very active mill town in the 1860's..I see him all the time i hope it's real maybe he will buy a new car!!If he hasn't already..

~Blaze~

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest: